• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thank You ! Today we Celebrated Life.

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    To the Hide Faithful,

Today we celebrated my Dad’s Life, in fact i could not have asked for anything better. We laughed, we cried, we shared all the best and connected with friends and family on an emotional level sometimes missed in the age of social media.

My Dad lived a rich, full life, he touched so many people in more ways than I can count. He was a mechanic and more importantly a mentor to so many despite living in a small New England Town.

Acts of kindness you never knew were shared with me and my brother, these were the hardest because we both know, that was Len. Small, yet meaningful unselfish actions that touched people in long lasting ways.

He ran gas stations and repair shops, the number of adopted brothers I have is too many to list. Back in the day, the local schools used to give troubled kids credit if they went to work for Lenny. Show up, do your job and we’ll graduate you. That happened and not a one forgot the lessons learned. Try to find that in today’s world.

The man was a Tank, he had Cancer, Diabetes, Cataracts, was missing a Kidney and took dialysis weekly. He still worked, it’s what kept him going. This month alone he attended 4 Christmas parties and still managed to play Santa Claus for the kids at the Boat Club. Never once complained. His secret, go to work, do you job. That is what pushed me beyond the point of pain and exhaustion when I first went into the Marines. If the mission was, climb the Hill, the job is not over until you get the top. Do your job. His work ethic is unrivaled in the moderan era.

He was social, loved to sing, and was never without a joke. Mostly dirty, and like me, strung the curse words together in a sentence. It was only personal if you deserved it, otherwise it was just how we spoke. I come from a big family, and often that is what it takes to get a word in edgewise. My Cousin Mikey explained it like this, all my Uncles spoke the same manner. “If you say it hard and direct you react and don’t think, you just do”. With a family my size, they were training a platoon of kids, at least we moved like one.

Over the last few years as his health declined he still never complained, “Hey POP, how you feeling”, Ah, a little tired, but what do the Doctors know they are just licensed to practice, but I’m Cool. He used to entertain the patients at Dialysis, one woman was here today and only knew him from there. He was more worried about them, so why not brighten their day it costs nothing but a joke, and he had an endless supply.

Every customer was a friend, he took interest in their lives and helped anyway he could. He was that kind of guy regardless of his own issues.

It was the end of ERA in Stratford and the town rewarded him with a fond farewell. He looked better than I have seen him in ages. Yesterday I found a box of pens, he loved to hand out pens, everywhere he went he had a pocket full of pens with his name on it. So I brought the 1/2 box of pens and placed them next to him by the prayer cards. They all disappeared, it was funny because the funeral director asked me if i had more as they ran out. I have no concept of the turnout, I just know it was a perfect tribute to a life lived.

When I walked in the funeral home and saw the Flowers from, “The Hide” it made me proud. Proud and Thankful the members here did that for someone they never met. It proves this is more than a Website, it’s a community and no community is better than it’s members. I could build the prettiest house on the block, but if dirtbags move in, it’s still shit. You guys make this site what it is, your thoughtfulness carried those flowers to my Dad’s side. For that I will never forget.

Thank you to the Hide Members, thanks for turning this spark into a fire, and keeping me warm on a winter’s day.

I am not 100% sure what day I am back to work, few more loose ends to tie, but I know all is well.

With the New Year around the Corner take a moment to brighten another persons day, it’s made an impact on me, Thanks Len, lesson learned.

59F88838-F54F-4517-A05C-3F7E771882EF.jpeg

Rest Easy you reached the top of this hill,

Lost my Dad last year. It'll never be the same. Remember the good stuff and smile....I have my Dad's pocket knife found behind the dresser when we moved my Mom. I use it every day and remember. Now it's my turn.

My condolences, Frank. This stuff hurts to the Spiritual level.

VooDoo

Reactions: Queequeg
    It sounds like he was a good husband, father, and friend. Go with God, Lenny.

Reactions: Yasherka
    Frank,

Tthere’s a saying that was shared with me when my Mom passed almost 4 years ago to describe her life. I’d like to share that, because based upon your description, it fits your departed father well.

He didn’t count his days, he made his days count.

Peace and comfort to you and your family, you’ve got a good group here on the Hide.

Marty

Reactions: fx77
    Frank,

What’s as inspiring, is the people he shaped who continue to shape countless others. You are an example and your father’s legacy.

Jim

Reactions: oneshot86
    Sounds like a life well spent. And, in the end, that is all we can be measured by. By what marks you leave on the world, your community, and the kids you leave behind.

You don't know me from a hole in the ground, but I am sincere in my condolences. I have not lost my parents, but the day is within sight and I have begun to reflect on their impact on me and the world and appreciate the sacrifices they made to make me who I am.

Beautifully worded and heartfelt understood from experience. The very best to you and yours Frank! Godspeed and peace to Dad!

As times grow hard, so do hearts. I needed to hear about your dad. Your description of him reminds me of my grandfather and his way of looking at life. I needed that reminder. Thank you for sharing a little part of him...and you.

God Bless you and your family, and God's rest to your dad.
    David

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
    Well said Frank. You have my condolences. As a funeral director reading things like this makes me remember the impact I can have on people’s lives helping with a memorable sendoff and it makes my career a little more rewarding.

Lost my dad on Sept 11th of this year. His 93 yr old mom, my grandmother (who attended her own sons funeral) pulled me aside and told me a man doesn’t truely become a man until his father dies.
    It truely does change you forever.
    My deepest condolences.

Damn Frank, just Damn. Thank you for sharing the story with us. And, again, very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were taught exactly what to do though, and you will prevail. God speed

Lost my Dad last year. It'll never be the same. Remember the good stuff and smile....I have my Dad's pocket knife found behind the dresser when we moved my Mom. I use it every day and remember. Now it's my turn.

My condolences, Frank. This stuff hurts to the Spiritual level.

VooDoo

Very well put. You are correct about how we are detached in todays world. You dont see those traits and values in a lot of people today. I lost my dad in 2007 4 days after i graduated from AIT. Godspeed to him and my condolences to you Frank.

Condolences Frank, I’m sure your dad is proud of the lives that you have touched and the brotherhood that you have built......as he should be. Rest east Len, Franks got this!

Frank, from him came you, and from you came this. This site isn't the 'only' thing that you've done, but it is one small facet of your life. And the site is still HUGE in so many ways, for so many people.

We ALL thank your Dad, for not only whom he was, but for how he was a Dad and an influence of inspiration. Always building, always growing, and always progressing!

Thanks, Frank. That was a well-worded tribute when words are often difficult to assemble. Your dad sounds just like my grandpa and it brought back some great memories. Thank you for building such a great place like the Hide. I am very proud and humbled to be a part of this group and this place is a reflection of your dad’s influence on you. Wishing you the best in the days ahead.

What a nice tribute to your dad. I'm new here, but in a very short time, I've been impressed by "The Hide" and its members. I watched over 40 of your videos in the last 2 weeks. So, I feel like I know you. :) That, and your tribute above, tells me I'm in good company.

Best wishes to you and family, and thanks for sharing your dad's life... well-lived. An inspiration to all of us.

To Len,

Congratulations on a life well lived.

To his Family and Friends,

I pray the you find comfort and peace in your time of grief.

Respectfully,

Thank you for sharing and having the ability to put it in such beautiful words for us. I’ve been without my dad for almost 14 years now. I am truly sorry for your loss Fundamental Frank.

You've been blessed, Frank, and I envy you greatly for it. Your positive approach to this is a stellar reminder of the man he was and the way he could share it.

Prayers and such. Much such.

Greg

Damn, just got dusty in here.

Im not around here much anymore, Frank, and thus must apologize for not getting in on the Hide flowers, but know my thoughts are with you.

Made me think of my father. RIP all you old geezers, we'll see ya soon.

Frank, your father sounds like he was a hell of a guy to share a beer with. I would have considered it an honor to know him and share a beer with him. Your post is a fine tribute to a fine man. We need more like him these days.

You come back when you can. You have some good help here to hold down the fort until you can get back.

Frank
    You are truly your father’s son, and your words resonate to the value of family, instilled by your dad’s heart, soul and hands. Can readily see from the hundreds of well composed comments here, and those yet unspoken, that the legacy of mentoring, sharing and educating the family you’ve adopted here are a fitting tribute to values taught through the example of an honorable man. Wind at your back, Len.