• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thanks to Mark Gordon and Short Action Customs

MosesTheTank

Minuteman
Jan 28, 2011
SC
I have posted on this rifle before, so I'll be brief. I bought an AAC-SD in 308 for an inexpensive shooter/truck rifle. With a variety of good loads it shot 2-3MOA. I sent it to Accurate Ordnance where they did an absolutely beautiful job putting on a Manners T3 in midnight camo, badger rail and bottom metal, bedding it, Timney trigger... That made it a 1.5-2MOA gun, although now it looked awesome. No sooner had I asked Mark at AO for a quote on an action true and re-barrel than my dad absconded with the rifle because he thought some sweetly rolled ammo would do the trick. Well it didn't. A crappy barrel and chambering is a crappy barrel and chambering. I didn't have any experience with SAC, but a friend of my dad's did, I just wrote the check. (Mark at AO, sorry about that - sort of - if you're reading this, but I'll have more work for you after the 300WM gets done!).

Here it is after the action true, a Bartlein 1:10, and sniper grey cerakote. Scope is a NF 3.5-15x50 mil/mil. SAC did not feel it was necessary to redo the bedding. Next up for it is a NF F1 in Sniper Gray. It is a beautiful rifle:

AACSDSideView_zps670e3d77.jpg

SACLogo_zps2b35a4be.jpg

So how does it shoot...? This posting is a bit premature in that I have only had the opportunity to run some factory loads through, and not very many at that. The gun hates 150s and 155s. There was no point in even measuring those groups. And because those were the first rounds through the gun I was nervous about the money I had just spent. It was ok with Fed GMM 175s painting consistent 3/4 MOA groups, no more, no less. Same for Copper Creek 175s. But holy crap does it love Scenars (167 and 185) and Norma 168 HPBT. All groups are 5 shots.

Here's the 167 at 100. This is a 0.56" group. There were several like this. I think I was so stunned at what I was seeing through the scope that my attention swerved and I kept pulling or pushing shots:

35d55867-bcec-4f82-b222-d60ee75ffc62_zps039cc0e1.jpg

Here's the 167 at 200 yards. 1.25". These were the last groups of the day and mirage was getting pretty bad. I plan on buying a tall target stand to get the target up off the ground and away from the murkiest part of the mirage. Will post a review on that in a few weeks.

167Scenar200yds_zpsa39657c8.jpg

And how about this for consistency, the 185 Scenars at 200:

838bb67f-e811-4ddd-bbb8-5a8ecb8387b6_zpsa56ef2a9.jpg

But for the money shot... the Norma Match 168s. I want to caveat that I think I would do better with a different target. But I only had 1 box of ammo and ran out of targets. This group is 0.69" at 200 yards. Yes, it was the best of the 4 groups, but the largest was 0.77".

SAC04inchGroup_zpsed2d0df1.jpg

I have posted before on outstanding work performed by smiths here on the Hide. SAC is now added to my list. I went the long way around to get a custom rifle (the only things original to the gun are the bolt and receiver), and I will not do that again. Go all in from the get-go. I would say buy once, cry once... but I will buy more custom rifles. And I am certainly not crying now. I could not be happier with this rifle.

Edit: All shooting was/is done from bipod, sand sock, and off of a mat.

Last edited:
Looks good. I'm all too familiar with taking the long way around to get a custom rifle... unfortunately I'm in the tail end of that journey right now myself.

+1 for Mark and SAC, I've had 2 Remington jobs done and his/their work is outstanding