• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

that happened

misser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2022
clare mi
here i am loading some 223 bolt gun. i checked to sure that i had the die set correctly . i sized a case and slipped the brass into the chamber , needed just a bit more force on the bolt handle than it should take . then adjusted the die for perfect fit . removed and measured the brass and slipped it into an AR carefully closing .worked as it should . removed the brass, remeasured it, was the same . put it back into chamber and dropped the bcg as hard as it would go . removed the brass and it had shortened .007

My AR10 does that too.
the only issue i had with the AR10 was that the bullets would move out when the BCG slammed closed . the fix was to crimp to the cannelure . someones thinking, not all bullets have a cannelure . i role my own in to where i want it

Last edited:
Just a comment as to what may have happened, When slowly closing the bolt on an AR if the headspace is off slightly (long) you will not have the bolt rotate and close completely which can be hard to detect. Drop the bolt on the same cartridge and you will resize that piece to the chamber.

Just a comment as to what may have happened, When slowly closing the bolt on an AR if the headspace is off slightly (long) you will not have the bolt rotate and close completely which can be hard to detect. Drop the bolt on the same cartridge and you will resize that piece to the chamber.
humm i do believe i have watched different youtube videos of guys setting up dies to be used in
ar15's . i dont recall any of them checking as i have . i did try a factory loaded cartridge . the BCG slamming into did move it back .002

Why are you sizing brass for a bolt chamber and then moving and chambering it in an AR?
why are you asking (stupid) questions ?? is it to learn some thing? we do things to learn .what if it was the same ?? that would be a win

the only issue i had with the AR10 was that the bullets would move out when the BCG slammed closed . the fix was to crimp to the cannelure . someones thinking, not all bullets have a cannelure . i role my own in to where i want it
Lee rifle FCD were designed for this and apply a nice collet crimp.

Reactions: mtrmn and XLR308
why are you asking (stupid) questions ?? is it to learn some thing? we do things to learn .what if it was the same ?? that would be a win
I thought it was a good question. The AR and the bolt rifle will have two different chambers, require different loads, and get very different performance from each.

Reactions: simonp
I will add that it is not a good plan to "share" brass between AR and bolt gun. Any gun is better served by its own set of brass but case life will be far reduced in a mixture like this.

Now you need to compare the case you dropped the bolt on hard against a case fired in that same chamber and see if it blows the shoulder back out or stays the same.