• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

THATS IT.. I QUIT!!!!!!!

Re: THATS IT.. I QUIT!!!!!!!

To all you that smoke, or have smoked for years.

The # 1 cause of bladder cancer, is smoking. It's a fun thing to go threw, ask me how I know.

After smoking from 1964 to 2001, I quit cold turkey and turned it off like a switch, strong will power, is all it takes.

Chantix, why? you dont need it. I smoked for the better part of 40 years and I haven't had a cig since 12-31-10. Tell your self you are done and then own it. I mean really own it. I didnt stop drinking, I stopped smoking (one thing at a time). I am now over 2 months in and yeah, I still have cravings but mostly I don't even think about it that much now. I know I am still a smoker but I am a smoker who doesn't smoke. My wife quit with me and she did the Chantix, it worked for her, she didnt need the whole two months. It did affect her dreams and some mood swings (hell, how can you tell with a woman?). You will eat more, so try to exercise more. I chew toothpicks, it works for me. They say 90% of smokers who quit have a relapse within 6 months, so I know I'm not out of the fire yet. Thing is, I meant it this time. I own it. I'm done. Good luck to you, you CAN do it!

Keep yourself busy. I have quit before and didn't have the slightest urge to smoke. Then I started to slack a little and started to hang out with friends at bars and clubs again so it made it very very hard. I picked it back up unfortunately but I only have 2-3 cigs every week. Still not a good habit but not as bad as 1 pack a day like before.

Chantix works man. Just get ready for some fucked up dreams and mood swings the first week. You'll think you're pregnant. lol Good luck my friend.

OK DAY 3
still smoking a little, but I am mostly chewing cinimon sticks, alot of them. I am down to about 4 or 5 cigs. Dont know why I am smoking them, I am not gonna buy any more packs but the docs said to just smoke for the first 4 or 5 days and then you would not like the tast of them so much that you would put them down. Well what ever. I am trying both his way and mine. I notice I smoke unintentionaly. So after a puff or two I put it out.

No bad dreams last nite. But I did go to bed realy early last nite. Today was the 3rd day. Tomorrow I start taking two 1/2 doses, and day 8 I start 2 full doses. I have bad headachs in the mornings.

I am on day 10 myself. I bought a e-cig after much research. It produces a vapor and I elected to use a non nic liquid. The cappuccino flavor kicks ass.

I noticed that if you are able to change your routine just a little, that will also help aid your success rate for quiting. During your break times at work or whatever you do, do something different. I gave up smoking on 12-31-10, and have had about 10 smokes since then.....mainly when I have a few cocktails. I wake up the next day feeling like dog $hit. I have also signed up for a few 5k, 10k, and tiathlon races to aid my success rate. If you commit to something, like Smith said.....OWN IT!!!! Congrats Smith and stay strong.

You have a huge support group here, use us!! We need you just as much as you need us for support.

Eric

Today is day 4

I think this is the worst habbit to break, the morning smoke. I had a cig first thing when I woke up. I think I have found a side effect for me. I keep waking up early with headachs. Today I woke up at 6am with massive headachs. Nothing seems to help them go away. The morning smoke seems to amplify it. Oh well I will need to deal with it I guess.

No weird dreams last nite.

It worked like a charm for me.I had crazy dreams that seemed to be real,only side affect I had.Some of them were REALLY good.Best of luck.

I hope you succeed, smoking sucks. You'll be amazed at the fact once you've quit you can smell things you didn't know existed. Being able to take full, extensive breaths doesn't hurt either.

I tried the Chantix, but my dreams went from mildly weird, to things that would make Steven King proud.

3 years now and my only regret is that I din't stop 15 years ago.

Day 5,
Late post, today was tough on me. Smokes are starting to tast kinda funky. Had a few too many today, about a half a pack, but of those I did smoke it was only a puff or two. Not good to quit when the wife is on the War path. Hard getting past the very first smoke in the morning. Well 2 more days and I am supose to be done with smokes, but i gonna stay on the meds for a while I think. The docs will give me free meds up to 90 days.

Smoking is one of the most disgusting habits know to man.
It is worse in some respects than more serious drugs because it also directly affects other people. When I walk in the street I don't get any fallout from a herion addict passing by but a smoker leaves their toxic fumes to enter my lungs and stinking butts everywhere. I am not condoning any kind of illegal drug use but mearly letting smokers know how much they poison other peoples environment .
I wish you the best in your fight to kick this disgusting habit.
Your family will thank you the world will thank you .

It strikes me as odd how people can bitch and moan about catching a wiff of a cigarette from someone passing them on the sidewalk. Do they really think that they are risking cancer from that? I'll bet that there are a ton of things these same people do daily that are statistically far more dangerous to their health. Eating too much fat and salt, not exercising daily, drinking, driving on freeways etc. Personally I think it's about feeling better about themselves by putting others down and generally being an uppity micromanaging fuck.

Now that that's off my chest, I wish the OP the best of luck...

Good luck with quitting, but don't the the tobacco companies aren't noticing a shift in society. I don't smoke, but own a convenience store that sells tobacco products. I've been picked to be a test market store here in the Charlotte area for their newest product. Orbs(pills), strips(like listerine strips) and sticks(like long tooth picks all made from tobacco are being test marketed here and one city out west by RJR. I just got them in and will open them and post some pics of them. Certianly not saying you or anyone should try them, but these products seem to give people their dose without the smell of smoke or lighting up. They have to be better than putting all that tar into your lungs or at least less bad because they have the mouth cancer warning like all chew and dip does.

Cold turkey 2 years ago. Just throw them away and move on. You will gain on average 7-12 pounds.

Good luck

Rich

Suck it up and hang in there. The physical addiction is not with out some adverse reactions. It will pass. I used the Chantix for 3 weeks to quit chewing and a few CRAZY dreams aside it was a big asset. It has been 3+ years and still want it some days but havn't had a single chew. You can do it.

Day 6,

Well I messed up and skipped a pill yesterday. completly forgot about it playing with the new puppy. today is supposed to be my last day of smoking. Ill keep yall posted on my progress.

Good luck, quitting isnt fun nor easy.

But really worth it a few years down the road.

LRS-
Those who complain about smelling it on the street may be worried about cancer but sure aint happy with the smell. It is rank! Nothing sadder than a cute girl walking by smelling like an old skizer bar ashtray.

makes you want to buy those new whitening condoms so you dont get a nicotine ring on your ding a ling!

Then again some might be former smokers who want to keep that devil behind them.

For me its a reminder how we taxpayers fund the growth of tobacco and also the healthcare costs for smokers.

Anyway, Good Luck Smith, should be an easy thing to do for a jarhead
wink.gif

Personally I say let them complain, my thought is if smoking is legal, then do not impose laws restricting it to certain places. Hell some places here in Cali you can not smoke outside your house. Forget about smoking if you live in a Condo, illegal to smoke in those. They consider those as Public but yet rationalize breaking into a residence there as trespassing. Other laws here, Illegal to smoke in a vehicle if someone is under the age of 18 is in the vehicle. Now I dont agree to that either. If I choose to smoke and have kids, though it may not be healthful for them, they are still me kids, there for my decesion. not the goverments. Want to pass laws like that then make Cigs illegal.

Good luck.

I just finished my Chantix regimen, and boy am I glad that's over.

I have not smmoked since Oct of '10, I feel a bit better and it gets better every day.

You will gain weight, be ready for it and stay active and eat better to counter it..

Off the Chantix, I sleep a shitload better , and have come to realize that even w/o the meds, it's do-able. I dont even want to smoke, even when arond asshole coworkers that forget that I recently quit.....lol.

Stick it out, you will never regret being a born again non smoker.

Keep it up! I quit almost a year ago. I used the patch for 4 weeks. I still get cravings now and then but they pass quickly. I do feel a lot better now. It was worth it.

Keep posting your progress and the the group here give you support.

Sorry I missed speaking about day seven.

Day 8,

Today was a real tuff one, I deffinatly have a hard time beating the cravings, I broke down on about 4 bummed smokes today. I dont know if it is me or not. But since that first few days I noticed odd stuff. I dont want cigs as much now but I still want them. I dont feel any diffrent towards them I mean like I cannot tell If the meds(chantix) is taking effect or not. I still have headachs in the morning but not as bad nw.

we will talk later bout this bye for now. tomorrow day 9.

Smith,
I'm trying quitting myself. Been on the quit ride since Jan 10. I too slipped up here and there on the way, it's expected. But, each time you slip up, don't get carried away. Finish the pack or the few smokes and resume the quitting. As the phrase goes: "If at first you don't succeed....try, try again."

I haven't had a smoke or a craving in the past month, I think I've finally lost the habit. One thing that definitely helps whenever I got a craving was remembering that lone ache or that raspy wheeze I occasionally experienced while smoking one here and there.

As far as Chantix, patches, witch craft, etc...I never bought into that hocus-pocus BS. It's all a sales gimmick to me. You had it right in your first post. 'THAT'S IT...I QUIT!!!!" Certainly your best method of quitting is the mindset. Try not to lose it.

Good luck.

Its not easy to quit cold turkey but i did. Just stay busy and you wont think about having one. It worked for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quit cold turkey and turned it off like a switch, strong will power, is all it takes. </div></div>

Quoted for truth...

Two packs plus a day for close to 20 years... Last smoke was on 10-11-2010. I just decided it was time to stop smoking. Got rid of what I had and have not looked back.

My S.O. still smokes and now, I can't even stand the smell of it. Best of luck to you all!! You've already taken the hardest step. Now just follow through.

I was a pack a day smoker for almost 20 years. I decided to quit on the 17th of this month. So far so good. Quit "cold turkey". As said before, mind over matter. I will have to say that I should have bought stock in Jolly Ranchers as they have now become my fixation. I have many reasons to quit but the biggest motivation is my 6 yr old son. I had always promised myself that I would quit when I had a kid. I did not when he was born and it has always haunted me. I grew up in a household where both of my parents smoked and it made it easier for me to pick up the habit. My wife does not smoke and I do not want my son to pick up the habit because of me. Good luck to the OP..your not alone.

I have personal experience with quitting smoking. You got the most important part down, which is the want/need/drive to quit.

For me, it helped to do light exercise, like just walking. And to be somewhat stress free. When you are stressed, or tired from physical activity, that's when the brain and body really wants a smoke.

Goodluck!

Rocksteady nailed it on the head. You have to have that want or need. I quit cold turkey, and chewed big red, but I had that want to quit and I did. Good luck and stay honest.

DAY 14 according to my pills, the want is not as bad as it used to be. but i still caint get past the cravings those are tearing me up inside. at the moment I am not stress free though I wish I was. Softball and Baseball has started and wel I am one of those active coaches.

If you can avoid only one smoke, you will succeed. Think about that...all you ever have to do is avoid only one. If you believe you can do without only one smoke, you will do fine. Just don't have the first one after you quit. It worked for me nearly 20 years ago. When I thought about it like that, I though, Hell yes, I can avoid one...

It also helps to watch for things that you used to pair with smoking. Like a cup of coffee and cigarette, or a drink and cigarette. The more you can avoid paired stimulus items, the better off you will be.

Perfect thread for me.

As a pharmacist we specialize in smoking cessation and your post signifies the most important step, strong will, so good job.

Be sure to remove anything around the house, work, and car that will promp you to want to smoke... old packs, butts, ash tray, etc.

I got a whole list of things we can discuss if you want. Also about your chantix if you wish.

It gets better, and easier, the longer you go without. At least it did for me. I was a pack and a half a day smoker for 18 years or so. Quit a little over 5 years ago. AZ also has an extra tax on stuff like cigarettes that the health department uses for smoking cessation stuff. They offered classes (that provided support and scare tactics) once a week. If you attended, you got 50% off of the smoking cessation device of your choosing. Figured I paid for the damn classes with all the smokes I'd bought, so I signed up.

I heard once that you'll know you're a nonsmoker when the smell of cigarettes doesn't make you want one anymore, but instead smells completely nasty. That took about 6 months for me.

As for the weight gain, after a year, you'll probably have 5 extra pounds that you would have had anyway if you'd never smoked in the first place. At least that's what I was told. I took up running (and then shooting) to help with stress triggers.

Good luck. Sounds like you've got a lotta folks wishing you success.

Well, this will be interesting. Tomorrow morning, I will wake up to my 22nd birthday, and I will officially be tobacco free from there on out. I chose my birthday as my quit date, and I will never touch tobacco after tonight.

Kinda crazy, but I'm 100% ready to end this.