• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The 1,000 yard .22 rimfire challenge?

Re: The 1,000 yard .22 rimfire challenge?

We still talking about this. Tell you what. One of you guys get it set up find a place where you can see the bullet strikes. Put up an 8'x8' target and I will give you a dollar for every bullet that hits the target. You will pay me a dollar for every miss.Bring as much ammo as you like but make sure you have that dollar per round.

As has been said. You are talking about a concept far far beyond any useful accuracy. To the why not crowd, it's a waste of good ammo.

im shooting a marlin 880sq and can hit about 50% out to 250 with standard velocity target 40 gr federal. enough to knock down bowling pins. falcon 4-14ffp mil scope. i took the same rifle to "the lake" friends family lake in their back yard. shooting across the lake from the top of the levy was guessed at 550 yds. we were aiming at the top of 50-60 foot tall tress to get splashes in the water around the target. we found one bullet lodged into the plywood (barely) after a couple hundred rounds. didnt think to compare bullet to who was shooting which ammo. i agree that there is a max range. 300 would be my limit. 240-250 is still within holdover with reticle and dip 25moa base. i dont like to use clicks when i can use holdover. less chance of losing zero. more trouble than its worth to me....

I agree it's ridiculous, as I've tried to point out by calculating required drop compensation, and recognizing the dangers inherent in such a venture. However, I've always resented when anybody tries to dictate how I burn my ammo. At this point, just annoying the naysayers (a person with an aggressively negative attitude) may be reason enough to attempt such a stunt.

Deadly Punk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We still talking about this. Tell you what. One of you guys get it set up find a place where you can see the bullet strikes. Put up an 8'x8' target and I will give you a dollar for every bullet that hits the target. You will pay me a dollar for every miss.Bring as much ammo as you like but make sure you have that dollar per round.

As has been said. You are talking about a concept far far beyond any useful accuracy. To the why not crowd, <span style="font-weight: bold">it's a waste of good ammo.</span> </div></div>

What you call a waste of ammo is good fun, a family outing, experiments were very few have tread. I agree it is a tall order to even hit anything at that distance, but waste of ammo it is not if the person shooting has a good time and learns a thing or two.
smile.gif