• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The 26 Nosler??

Wyfox

Gun Snob
Minuteman
  • May 24, 2012
    Wyoming
    Not sure where they got these facts, since an '06 action and a magnum action are the same except the bolt face, great marketing scheme!

"The “26” also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions." **

http://www.nosler.com/news-and-articles/2013/11/22/the-26-nosler

Bend, Ore. – November 22, 2013 – Like many shooting enthusiasts, the Nosler family has always dreamed of introducing a new rifle cartridge to the industry; that time is finally here with the arrival of the 26 Nosler®.**

The goal of the new 26 Nosler® cartridge was to introduce something to the shooting sports industry that took full advantage of new technology available to shooters including the advance of optics, reticle systems and of course high Ballistic Coefficient (B.C.) bullets such as the AccuBond® Long Range™ line. The old boundaries are about to be pushed to new limits. * * *

The 26 Nosler® cartridge was designed to take advantage of the inherently accurate and high B.C. 6.5mm (.264) caliber bullets, and is capable of shooting the Nosler® 129 grain, AccuBond® Long Range™ bullet at a blazing 3400 fps out of the muzzle.* Zeroed at 350 yards, the 26 Nosler® has a Point Blank Range of 0-415 yards.* Loaded with the 129gr ABLR, the 26 Nosler® retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington® produces at the muzzle.

The 26 Nosler® case is non-belted, thus headspaced off of the shoulder to further enhance accuracy. The “26” also utilizes a standard (30-06) length action meaning shorter bolt-throw and lighter weight than magnum length actions. **

“I really feel the 26 Nosler® has great value amongst the large family of 6.5mm cartridges.* With minimal recoil, tremendous velocity, energy and the ability to point and shoot at the intended target up to a quarter mile away, this is the quintessential deer, antelope and long-range target cartridge available on the market today.” –Bob Nosler, CEO/President Nosler, Inc.*

The 26 Nosler® is a new and unique cartridge that was submitted to SAAMI® in June, 2013. The formal launch will take place at the 2014 SHOT Show where more exciting news will be released regarding this cartridge. Additional announcements will include Nosler’s new platform rifle, in addition to exciting new bullet, brass and ammunition offerings.

For the most current information on Nosler product announcements, visit Nosler’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NoslerInc

-###-

Media Contact:
    Zach Waterman
    Public Relations Manager
    [email protected]

More likely something along the lines of a 260-375 Ruger. I don't think that an 06 case could get close to the velocity they claim.

I've got a 1.350" shanked, 29", 8.5 twist Krieger for my Surgeon XL waiting to be made into either a 6.5 SAUM or possibly now a 26 Nosler! The mags are tweaked for -375R already and feeds perfectly so 26N should work fine. Hmmm

Last edited:
    Sight in, work up a load, replace barrel, and repeat.
    Witt he velocities they are claiming you should get 40 rounds of 120 grain pill before you torch your throat, 40 from a 130 grain pill, and 60-80 from a 140 grain pill. Better buy barrels by the dozen and have a gunsmith on speed dial.

Upon running about 8 tests through JBM (which I seemingly broke), it seems as if the muzzle velocity will need to be approximately 3440 FPS in order to match their statement "same velocity at 400 yards as the 260 remington has at muzzle" assuming the same bullet, and the 260 rem launches at roughly 2800 FPS (per Nosler, 130 grain bullet). With that I calculated back a start speed, and 400 yard ballistics, which got me to 3440 fps. Only case I can see working for this would be something like a Remington Ultra Mag, so expect to burn 62-68 grain ow powder on every trigger pull.

Good news is that Nosler is going to offer a special deal. Buy 500 rounds of ammo, get a free barrel.

Guess somebody forgot to tell Nosler that the 264 Win Mag, 6.5x284, 6.5 Rem Mag, and 6.5 SAUM were all commercial hits pushing 120-130 grain bullets over 3200 fps.

Upon running about 8 tests through JBM (which I seemingly broke), it seems as if the muzzle velocity will need to be approximately 3440 FPS in order to match their statement "same velocity at 400 yards as the 260 remington has at muzzle" assuming the same bullet, and the 260 rem launches at roughly 2800 FPS (per Nosler, 130 grain bullet). With that I calculated back a start speed, and 400 yard ballistics, which got me to 3440 fps. Only case I can see working for this would be something like a Remington Ultra Mag, so expect to burn 62-68 grain ow powder on every trigger pull.

Good news is that Nosler is going to offer a special deal. Buy 500 rounds of ammo, get a free barrel.

Guess somebody forgot to tell Nosler that the 264 Win Mag, 6.5x284, 6.5 Rem Mag, and 6.5 SAUM were all commercial hits pushing 120-130 grain bullets over 3200 fps.

I have a friend that shoots a 6.5-257 Weatherby at 3500 fps out of a 35" barrel. It hammered for 500 rounds and then bullets started to come apart so the barrel is likely torched.

My goal would be to shoot a low pressure load and to have a perfectly feeding long action using my 5 round or 10 round AI mags. 3200-3250 fps/140's would be fine with me and would probably only be 45,000-50,000 psi, in theory giving better barrel life than a smaller cartridge pushing 65,000 psi to get to those velocities. If I got 1500 rounds out of it that's fine with me.

My 30-375R with 230 HB's/.743BC at 2925 fps uses 77.8 grains of Retumbo.

3400, 3440...close enough, and the. 375 ruger case holds 95g of water. I think it will be exceptional for a hunting rifle. The barrel would last the average hunter a lifetime easy. Some of us, well a good season or two at the range might warrant a set back job. Sounds like fun anyhow!
    shoots green 1

but they willhave factory loads and brass

Myself I neck up .257 Weatherby case and kick its ass wit 6.5 Weatherby Mag...

People seem to forget that not all companies cater to the needs of range/match shooters. This is a smoking fast, hard hitting round. As already stated, for a hunter that fires 20 rounds a year, the barrel will last a lifetime.

I think it's cool to see commercial companies reaching out and doing something that would be a "wildcat" generally and making it available to the public. Yeah there's a lot of market mumbo jumbo but that's what sells stuff to the average hunter.

Gents,

No one mentions projected barrel life. At those velocities I'll bet it sucks goggles...

I think I'd put it in the "to much of a good thing" category.

Wes

Gents,

No one mentions projected barrel life. At those velocities I'll bet it sucks goggles...

I think I'd put it in the "to much of a good thing" category.

Wes

There is so much complaining about barrel life.....by people who never have and never will shoot a barrel out. An average Joe buys a "deer rifle" or "elk rifle". He buys 2 boxes of ammo (40 rounds). He shoots one box after mounting his scope to zero. After that, he never fires another shot till he sees the animal he's hunting....then it's 1, maybe 2 shots. Let's just say he shoots 2 deer, then draws an antelope tag as well. He fires 3 rounds at antelope. Let's just get really wild and say he also draws a cow elk tag all in the same year. He finds a cow at 165 yards. 1 shot and down. So.....the year is over for the "hunter". How many rounds did he fire....25 to 30 max? Now, next year he's already got his scope mounted so all he does is check zero with 3 rounds. He ends up not killing shit that year and never fires another round. So, 2 years have past and he's fired less than 35 rounds. Let's just say a barrel is only good for 800 rounds......even if he fired 35 rounds a year (which is unlikely) he's looking at 22yrs to shoot out the barrel.

Get the fuck off the barrel burning issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nosler markets to hunters and hunting.....not the tactical game.

Last edited:
    Trevor300WSM,

Thanks for your less than gentlemanly response to my post.

I agree, if this is just a hunting round, you'll probably never burn out the barrel of the 26 Nosler. On the other hand those that want to use it for F-class, etc. will burn out the bore IF they do any shooting and practicing at all.
    That's the perspective I was looking at when I made my comment.

Wes

I'll stick with my 264win Mag for hunting 140gr at 3000fps is plenty good. 6.5CM will stretch a loooooooooooooong way carrying a 140gr almost 1500yds supersonic with a muzzle velocity of around 2750-2800. Now if I was a fellow with money to burn.......... No skin off my nose if someone wants it and Nosler can sell it. I never understood why a guy would hunt whitetail with a 300 Win Mag, but they do.

I told my dealer as soon as they're patriot is available to get me one. I think it will be an outstanding antelope and deer round. Already have a 264 wm and love my 7 stw's but I like fast overbores. Have 12k plus through a .220 swift and 2200 through my first used 7stw and it still shoots well. On original barrels I think with some hand loading I should be able to push a 130gr barnes at or above the 4000 fps mark. Why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any word on what the parent case actually is, an blown forward shoulder off the 375 ruger could do it possibly

Does anyone know how much work would need to be done if I converted an 300WM to a .26?

I know it's based on the 7RUM/404 Jeffery, but I am wondering if it is going to be as simple as a new barrel/chamber and a true bolt?

Thanks

Last edited:
    Just a barrel change, not sure if reamers or brass are available yet

Just a barrel change, midway has reamers, stock up on h50bmg and 869

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting thread. One of the guys at work just has to have one. I built a 6.5 x 06 and he shows up a couple weeks later with an advertisement. I didn't build my o6 for speed, but less recoil than my 30-06. I wonder what the recoil on the Nosler 26 is going to be?

If and when I do get drawn, every weekend is scouting or shooting. 20 rounds is a minimum for a day. Rain, snow, wind or shine, I want to know what my rifle is going to do. But, I see the point, because the same ad guy is tellling me the zero is from the muzzle to 400 yards - shoots like a lazer. Once sighted, I guess you never have to shoot it again until the next hunt.

It's a barrel burner. If it's a hunting rifle and you shoot say 30-40 rounds thru it a year then O.K. I guess if you want something different. With that being said it will last you about 10-12 years.

I'm going to tell you 400-500 rounds of barrel life.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

What do I like about the 26 Nosler?

It opens up discussion to the less informed firearm "enthusiast" about velocity, barrel life, brass availability, etc. We can always use more people on the shooting lines, fill those competition benches!

Hey awesome, thanks for the info...

It will be for a one (err... two) shot hunting rifle. I've wanted to rebarrel the 300 for some time now, and I am a huge 6.5 fan. I was hoping to get close to 1k rounds but I will plan on 400. Does Bartlein have reamers for it? But yes, you pretty much hit it. Just something different.