• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The APA PARAGON destruction video series

Re: The APA PARAGON destruction video series

Like the videos Jered. The gun's holding up nicely. Looks like y'all used the same target frame supports as Chief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure how I could explain it getting pregnant while in the hands of the Marines.
</div></div>

laughs, good one.

Free bump, let's see some more videos

Well here is test #3

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2YXySHjRj0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f2YXySHjRj0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Drop that thing from at least 30 foot

+1 on a drop test of some variety.

You could always follow the Daniel Defense torture test methodology if you are otherwise running out of ideas (i.e. - drop it from 6ft, 30ft and 100ft...run over it with your truck...shoot it with a 12ga shotgun (birdshot)...set off some tannerite in close vicinity to simulate a blast concussion/shrapnel...etc., etc.).

Drop test, mud test, maybe something involving extreme heat/cold?

Keep up the good work!

I'm pretty surprised and impressed at this last test. The way Jared held himself by the stock AND the barrel. Assuming he was supporting 1/2 his weight with each hand, the hand on the barrel was essentially trying to pry the barreled action out of the stock!

Jared:

I'd like to see how the rifle handles sand intrusion. Imagine engaging multiple AK-wielding insurgents in Kandalhar in a sandstorm. At what point will the rifle become non-op? Seems like a somewhat "practical" test, considering a lot of our nation's best are dealing with conditions like that...?

i would like to see a grouping test, as follows

fire a 5 round group on paper at 100yds, then remove the barreled action, reinstall the barreled action , then shoot a 2nd time, 5 more shots into the same group (1st group) hopefully.

then do a 4 foot butt drop test, fire a 3rd time, 5 shots , same target same hold,

then do a two story drop, 16feet height ladder would suffice, then fire a fourth time, 5 shots , same target same hold,

then box test the optic, 5 moa right, fire 3 shots, 5 moa down, fire 3 shots, then 5 moa left, fire 3 shots, then 5 moa up, fire 3 shots, then 5 moa right, and fire five shots into the same original group as the first 20 shots

giving 37 shots total on target , 25 in what will hopefully be one ragged hole, and 12 in 3 shot groups for the 5 moa box test, and 25 moa tracking test

enjoying the show so far ! thanks for doing it Jered

The major drop test comes in Dec.
The temp. test will probably be next.
I plan on continuing the accuracy data at 400. I'm going to leave the windage alone and the elevation on 9.75 MOA. We should see any sort of shift easily at 400. The wind is always an issue this time of year but you can see what it's doing when I hit the target.

Even though I've seen it before. You should blow it up with some tannerite (IED). Everyone loves a good explosion

Use it as a tool to break through an interior door or to get through the windshield of a car.

See if it can survive a minute or two in an empty cement mixer.

Douse it in lighter fluid and light it with a match.

Shoot it with birdshot from a few yards away.

Freeze the bolt tight in the receiver and attempt to break it lose by force.

Sand... the great equalizer

If you start exposing the action and trigger group to sand whial shooting or at least function checking: cycle the bolt, safety, firer, and remove the bolt. Add the sand in a "natural" way like by blowing it into the action from over and under with mag in and out. I would do it in small increments until it fails some how: trigger locks up, action seize, safety fails, mag dosent eject. Then you can clean it with a second fishing trip. Followed by and accuracy report.

That may be cool to see how she does.

Good job on the videos thus far and keep them coming!

Great set of vids.

+1 on the salt water, breaching tool and drop tests.

Sand would be good...and for those of us in more temperate climates...maybe a mud bath? And for those of us in the cold places...a snow/ice test.

How about a truck test too...end to end and also over the action? Someone's bound to run one over sooner or later!

Jered, would you mind posting up specs and an MSRP in the OP? I'll head on over to your site to see if its there.

I vote for...

-Salt water immersion

-Deep freezer for a few days
(Maybe mist the bolt/action/trigger mech with water to form a decent little ice layer?)

-Sand/dust test as described by JBell

-Do a side-by-side comparison between a factory Remington bolt handle and what would come standard on your rifle to display bolt handle strength

How about running it over with a truck (or AFV) ???

We are going to blow it up at a match next weekend during a fund raising match for a late friends family.

I'd also like to add that if there is someone local to us that wants to be part of the test so you can see that their is no funny business going on let me know. We'll be happy to include your participation in one of the video's.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday!

Per request here is an explosion right under the rifle. We hoped the rifle would fly a little higher than it did but when the explosion went off and the board hit the rifle it split the plywood in half. None the less I remain impressed by the components that make up this rifle.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcoysui9NQY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mcoysui9NQY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm enjoying the hell out of this. Will this rifle be up for sale (at a discounted rate) after all the destructive testing is done, if it survives? Wouldn't mind having it. Would save me a lot of time from adding "character".

I've actually already had more than one offer to purchase it. I think when it's done we are going to render it inoperable and frame it. That's if it's not already inoperable.

I'll take the trigger

If you can hail-Mary the rifle down a hill and not have a zero shift, I'd call that pretty damn good.

Very impressive !! Wish I could have been there for the match and to watch this ...take care Isaac

I think everything held together well. There is a last shot after we blew it up where it moved .5 MOA right. It's hard to see in the video unless you blow it up in high res. Anyway. There is a hard increase in wind at the target. Midrange wind is about the same. If you watch the target you'll see the wind change difference when the paint blows off the target. It holds that way all the way through the next set of shots after we threw it. Nothing shifted mechanically. It's really hard to see all the details on a youtube video.

Very impressive Jered!

I think John at USO needs a copy of the videos too since its his scope thats getting its a$$ kicked along with your rifle.

It pains me to watch you fling that rifle down that hill..

Great Stuff. Looking forward to more videos

LOL, thats pretty awesome

This weekend I was shooting a match, and had two un-named gunsmiths (whom I know make good rifles) tell me that their rifle tipped over in the truck and they needed to go re-zero the rifle!! Tipped over-really??? Try throwing it down the hillside!!!!

Nice work Jered!!!

Wow....Great video series and one BAMF rifle!

Per request we froze it and had someone else come help with the shooting.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXMlQPweeGE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXMlQPweeGE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Sweet rifle you got there.

Way to prove durability.
cry.gif

I like the suggestions of running it over.

Some more suggestions.

Drop test.
Cut a sling in half, hold the ends together on your shoulder.
Randomly let the ends loose from a shoulder slung position while walking/climbing above concrete and/or larger rocks.

Put it in the bed of a truck, loose with other random objects pour some sand on it.
Then take a little 4 wheelin/muddin trip. Get some air in that truck, try to bounce it out.

Rooting for this glass to hold up aswell.
Love these destruction test.
Keep em coming.

The sand test:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_1rt_i7Tu4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E_1rt_i7Tu4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That was a pretty good sand test. Good job. Sand is nasty. Loved the grip it and rip it attempt at forcing the bolt into battery.

I think it stood up to it well, all things considered!

I know what the intended purpose of this test is but Damn it !!! It's a crying shame that you have to F@&K up a perfectly good gun. When you get done with testing you need to have a memorial service for it. I think you need to run like a 100-150 round rapid fire test and at the end do another 5 shot test!

I am impressed so far, good job! Looking forward to more.

Another HUGE bonus for the US Optic crew.
The stock handled the shotgun blast better than I thought as well.

Prepare to be impressed:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1KAVpghFI7s"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1KAVpghFI7s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

damn dude! that thing is holding up well!!!

Throw it in the bed of your truck and go bush whacking!
curtisclayne

Would love to see some up close pics of the rifle after that one. How's the hinge on the stock holding up?

The hinge is doing well. In the next test I specifically aimed part of the test at breaking it but it didn't break.

I removed some of the stuff it came with and lowered the price to $6175. No that's not scope included unfortunately.