• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The AR15 Picture Thread

Here's a full house custom precision Recce format .223 Wylde carbine weighing a mere 5.75 LB utiizing the very best components available: Proof Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped ("CFW") 16" barrel with 1x8 twist and intermediate length gas system, feed ramps contoured and polished; V Seven 7075 LR Enlightened billet receiver set; V Seven Enlightened 2055 M-LOK 13.5" forend; SLR 0.750" adjustable gas block; Surefire 5.56 WarComp, closed tine version; Geissele ACH charging handle; custom bolt carrier group consisting of JP Ionbond DLC coated Enhanced Bolt fitted at 1.4646", combined with a rare Young Mfg. National Match bolt carrier that has been Ionbond DLC coated on top of hard chrome; V Seven titanium push pins, receiver end plate & castle nut; fire control pins, short throw safety, buffer stop, and grip screw; V Seven S7 tool steel bolt catch; TriggerTech Adaptable trigger, adjustable from 2.5 - 5.0 LB, set on the low end; Vltor A5 recoil system with A5-H1 buffer; BCM furniture; and Magpul Pmag.

IMG_9856.jpeg
IMG_9858.jpg
IMG_9860.jpeg
IMG_9861.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpg
IMG_9862.jpeg
IMG_9863.jpeg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

These see the most use
From top to bottom
Aero M4E1 10.5" 556
Aero M4E1 8" 300blk out
Colt LE6920

Newest addition:
ADM UIC lower
Vltor MUR upper
Vltor Emod stock
Vltor A5 w/H3 buffer
Fortis LE endplate system
Geissele SD-3G
Geissele gas block
Geissele MK4 13.5"
Faxon Gunner 14.5"
AO Precision bolt carrier
JP Enterprises enhanced bolt
Radian Raptor SD
Griffin Paladin taper mount
The ADM Recon should be here today. Im moving the Steiner to it until the Razor 1-10x is back in stock and on sale.
I'll also likely swap the Gunner for the Criterion Core Ive got on order. Ill shoot it this weekend and decide. So far I love it. Its surprisingly light.

Attachments

• 20211104_120343.jpg
    20211104_120343.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 180
My first AR build.............this year! 😂
Aero M4E1 receivers
Odin 223 18" DMR barrel
Timney 2-stage
Full mass bcg
Magpul PRS
Burris 3-15 XTR2 in a Warne 20moa mount.
TBAC ultra 9
My own sponge camo paint.
Hopefully she shoots!

Attachments

• IMG_20211109_211543385~2.jpg
    IMG_20211109_211543385~2.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 210
PSA 11.5" pistol kit
Anderson lower
Sig Romeo5XDR circle-dot sight
Sig Juliet 3 micro magnifier
Crimson Trace light
Arms Unlimited quick adjust sling, ambi-safety and ambi-mag release
Ergo and Magpul rail covers and handstop
Roughly $1.1K as it sits.

bsoxqJa.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: eugevita
Accurate things can come in small packages, especially when they are built around a custom Craddock Precision Bartlein 11.5" SS barrel with 1x7 twist and a +1" gas system! This tiny but mighty package has a SanTan STT-15 billet receiver set as a foundation. Anticipating suppressed use, I've included an SLR adjustable gas block. The gun wears a Surefire 5.56 WarComp presently, but this can be swapped out to suit the needs of the end user. Note the rare and seldom encountered 10.5" Geissele MK16 rail. I chose an ambi Geissele ACH charging handle and JP FMOS bolt carrier group to round out the upper receiver. The lower comes well equipped from SanTan with ambi mag and bolt release. Continuing with the ambi theme, I added a DHD ambi short throw safety selector. The trigger is a TriggerTech Competition Model, breaking at a super crisp 3.5 LB, supported by V Seven 0.155" DLC coated titanium fire control pins. Also DLC coated are the DHD SS push pins and ambi safety selector. The often overlooked recoil system is the Vltor A5 with A5-H1 buffer. Holding the recoil system in place is the Fortis Lightweight Enhanced End Plate with Tapered Castle Nut. Installed in back is the SBA3 pistol brace from SB Tactical.

IMG_9908.jpeg
IMG_9909.jpg
IMG_9914.jpg
IMG_9918.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg
IMG_9921.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg
IMG_0721.jpeg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

Accurate things can come in small packages, especially when they are built around a custom Craddock Precision Bartlein 11.5" SS barrel with 1x7 twist and a +1" gas system! This tiny but mighty package has a SanTan STT-15 billet receiver set as a foundation. Anticipating suppressed use, I've included an SLR adjustable gas block. The gun wears a Surefire 5.56 WarComp presently, but this can be swapped out to suit the needs of the end user. Note the rare and seldom encountered 10.5" Geissele MK16 rail. I chose an ambi Geissele ACH charging handle and JP FMOS bolt carrier group to round out the upper receiver. The lower comes well equipped from SanTan with ambi mag and bolt release. Continuing with the ambi theme, I added a DHD ambi short throw safety selector. The trigger is a TriggerTech Competition Model, breaking at a super crisp 3.5 LB, supported by V Seven 0.155" DLC coated titanium fire control pins. Also DLC coated are the DHD SS push pins and ambi safety selector. The often overlooked recoil system is the Vltor A5 with A5-H1 buffer. Holding the recoil system in place is the Fortis Lightweight Enhanced End Plate with Tapered Castle Nut. Installed in back is the SBA3 pistol brace from SB Tactical.

View attachment 7745159View attachment 7745160View attachment 7745161View attachment 7745162View attachment 7745163View attachment 7745164View attachment 7745165View attachment 7745166View attachment 7745167
What's the shortest barrel you'll go w/ an AR pistol? If planning on using a suppressor, too.

An early incarnation of my SIG 516, since repurposed. ATC AR Gold trigger and Nikon 4x16 Mildot Monarch scope.

Inspiration for this image came from a guy on Flickr. Goes by the name of Stickman LOL! Great photographer. He's been there for a long time and dedicates himself to commercial images of AR, related sporting weapons and tactical gear. Has 64 pages on Flickr with hundreds and hundreds of AR and related images. Go to his site to see some great images of cool stuff. Recommend you start on the last page, it's like a time capsule! The early images always had a Stickman engraved-like logo copyright on all the firearms. Pretty cool! I always searched the image to see where he put it. Link:

Stickman

Here's mine - full size available jpg available by a click on the image:
i-wSqcBkJ.jpg

Little baby Grendel pistol built on the cheap with an 80% lower. 12.8" mid gas McGowen barrel, after zeroing I shot two five round groups, both exactly 1" with garbage Wolf ammo, then went to 500yds, made a wild guess at holdover and went 5/5 on a 12" plate. Can't wait to make some real ammo for it.
8105.jpeg
8102.jpeg

What's the shortest barrel you'll go w/ an AR pistol? If planning on using a suppressor, too.
What caliber?

Tons of sub 10.5” options for 5.56 out there, but that’s about as low as I’ll go personally, even on the guns I know I’ll always shoot suppressed. Fireballs aside, going that short’s pretty hard on components…fine if you’re religious about inspecting your bolts, etc, not so much if you just shoot and throw ‘em back in the safe. My daughter’s SBR has a 10.5” upper in 5.56, but she only shoots that with a can. Here’s my son shooting it a couple years back without the can attached:

i-BZGmXrN-X2.png

Glamor shot:
i-Tz7Mqwf-X3.jpg

So yeah, 10.5” is the shortest useable length for 5.56mm for me…. In my opinion, 12.5” with mid gas is a very nice sweet spot for short and maneuverable vs. accuracy and reliability In a 5.56 chambering. Here’s my workhorse 5.56 upper:

i-76m5zRm-X3.jpg

and my son’s SBR…also with a 10.5” upper in 5.56 and an 8” 300BLK with an SDN-6 can peeking out from under that hand guard.

i-7nvqwSb.jpg

Here’s his SBR next to mine in an older configuration from a few years ago:

i-TsrwfRb-X3.jpg

Another 12.5” 5.56 tucked under a 14” handguard with a can here too:

5BCE5F62-0FF1-4757-8BAE-FA8558BE50B0-4K.jpg

I have an 8”, a 9” and a 10.5“ uppers in 300 BLK that work great…better than my 16” in 300BLK frankly. That’ll burn all the powder in ~ a 9” barrel depending on your load. I tend to only shoot that subsonic and suppressed these days now…tend to use all my sub-200 grain bullets in my .308 loads now…. LOL

For other calibers, there’s usually a recommended barrel length for the load you run…I have a 16” 6.8 upper and it works well for its purpose … used almost exclusively for pig hunts at night with thermal at 250-350 yards or so.

Also have both 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend uppers… 16” for the 350 Legend (small deer rifle for the 120# or so runts we have running around here). This is the only pic I can find of that one right now (on the bottom)…and no, that light isn’t mounted in that position when in use…LOL. Had to stick it there to get it to fit in the safe between a couple other rifles:

6F3891BC-5FF0-41F3-BE7F-50449B0897C1-X5.jpg

That upper at the top in that pic is another 300BLK…. 9” barrel on that one. Here’s my other 300BLK upper on my PDW build:

i-tBKH8NZ-X3.jpg

…and the same lower, only with the stock opened, with yet another 10.5” upper in 5.56 (same TBAC-5C can though):

i-8G2DZMX-X3.jpg

… and 12.5” for the 450BM thumper…also always paired with a can under a longer hand guard:

i-pQXQdq7-X3.jpg

It’s a deep brush pig gun for me, always have that or my Ruger Scout rifle in the side by side out on the property for chasing game into brush.

Last edited:
Upper:

BCM Thermo-fit upper
Custom profile Bartlein 223 Wylde 14.5, mid gas, Surefire SFMB pin/weld, cerakote graphite black. Custom barrel from a Bartlein blank by Misery Custom Rifles @flyfisherman246

Geissele Mk14 handguard
KAC Backups
NF rings with (for now) Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x20 SPR green firedot reticle, P5 dial.
AO Precision BCG

Lower:

Colt 6920, B5 SOPMOD stock.

20211122_223017.jpg

What caliber?

Tons of sub 10.5” options for 5.56 out there, but that’s about as low as I’ll go personally, even on the guns I know I’ll always shoot suppressed. Fireballs aside, going that short’s pretty hard on components…fine if you’re religious about inspecting your bolts, etc, not so much if you just shoot and throw ‘em back in the safe. My daughter’s SBR has a 10.5” upper in 5.56, but she only shoots that with a can. Here’s my son shooting it a couple years back without the can attached:

i-BZGmXrN-X2.png

Glamor shot:
i-Tz7Mqwf-X3.jpg

So yeah, 10.5” is the shortest useable length for 5.56mm for me…. In my opinion, 12.5” with mid gas is a very nice sweet spot for short and maneuverable vs. accuracy and reliability In a 5.56 chambering. Here’s my workhorse 5.56 upper:

i-76m5zRm-X3.jpg

and my son’s SBR…also with a 10.5” upper in 5.56 and an 8” 300BLK with an SDN-6 can peeking out from under that hand guard.

i-7nvqwSb.jpg

Here’s his SBR next to mine in an older configuration from a few years ago:

i-TsrwfRb-X3.jpg

Another 12.5” 5.56 tucked under a 14” handguard with a can here too:

5BCE5F62-0FF1-4757-8BAE-FA8558BE50B0-4K.jpg

I have an 8”, a 9” and a 10.5“ uppers in 300 BLK that work great…better than my 16” in 300BLK frankly. That’ll burn all the powder in ~ a 9” barrel depending on your load. I tend to only shoot that subsonic and suppressed these days now…tend to use all my sub-200 grain bullets in my .308 loads now…. LOL

For other calibers, there’s usually a recommended barrel length for the load you run…I have a 16” 6.8 upper and it works well for its purpose … used almost exclusively for pig hunts at night with thermal at 250-350 yards or so.

Also have both 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend uppers… 16” for the 350 Legend (small deer rifle for the 120# or so runts we have running around here). This is the only pic I can find of that one right now (on the bottom)…and no, that light isn’t mounted in that position when in use…LOL. Had to stick it there to get it to fit in the safe between a couple other rifles:

6F3891BC-5FF0-41F3-BE7F-50449B0897C1-X5.jpg

That upper at the top in that pic is another 300BLK…. 9” barrel on that one. Here’s my other 300BLK upper on my PDW build:

i-tBKH8NZ-X3.jpg

…and the same lower, only with the stock opened, with yet another 10.5” upper in 5.56 (same TBAC-5C can though):

i-8G2DZMX-X3.jpg

… and 12.5” for the 450BM thumper…also always paired with a can under a longer hand guard:

i-pQXQdq7-X3.jpg

It’s a deep brush pig gun for me, always have that or my Ruger Scout rifle in the side by side out on the property for chasing game into brush.
Those are all some nice bullds!

What can is on that FDE 14.5? It looked like an Ecco Machine at first; but it appears to have a modular extension?

Those are all some nice bullds!

What can is on that FDE 14.5? It looked like an Ecco Machine at first; but it appears to have a modular extension?
dead air Wolfman NK … raw finish instead of Cerakote. 9mm, but rated for smaller center fire calibers as long as you use their micro brake.

usually shoot it on my full size Sig 9mm, but it’s a pretty versatile can.

i-BWc3rZK.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of discussion about not going short for an AR. I get it. But this 5” barrel AR (556) I built is a tack driver. Now I’ve only shot out to 100 yds but that is it’s intended purpose, Short range Truck gun. I do my own cerakote too. And media blast. I’m currently doing a 7.5” AR.

Attachments

• 1E063E98-50A0-4A67-95DC-2B72A5366D8C.jpeg
    1E063E98-50A0-4A67-95DC-2B72A5366D8C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
....just a "utilitarian" 300BLK build...

-Aero receivers & LPK
-SLR HG & AGB
-BA 10.1" Hanson w/VG6
-Geissele G2S
-Primary Arms MD5L RDS & QD mount
-Umbrella Corp grip
-BCM ambi Charging handle
-Magpul MBUS & Sling
-SBA3
-Inforce PID device
-Lancer mags

No "bling-bling" just reliable functioning... ;)

Attachments

• Inked20200824_170518_LI.jpg
    Inked20200824_170518_LI.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 92
anyone that carrys their gun on occassion at your side with your right hand over the center of the scope may want to put the Recon on this way as it acts as a handle/gripping point for your finger tips to help carry your rifle this way as i do at times and is mounted right in the center for balance..:cool:

Last edited:
Everyone NEEDS a good .300 Blackout. And a suppressor for it, night vision, IR aiming module, lots and lots of both super- and sub-sonic ammo. This one is built on a SanTan Tactical ST-15 billet receiver set with a V Seven 10.3" SS barrel. This one incorporates a Geissele MK 14 9.5" rail and ACH charging handle. Out front handling flash is a surefire 7.62 WarComp. In back is what makes this a "pistol", the incomparable Gear Head Works Tailhook Mod 2. A hard-to-find JP FMOS bolt carrier group ensures smooth functioning both suppressed and unsuppressed with any reasonable ammo choice. The TriggerTech Adaptable trigger rides on Seven titanium fire control pins. The ambiance selector is also titanium from V Seven as is the (not shown) titanium grip screw and buffer stop . The Fortis K1 castle nut and receiver end plate, the first real design upgrade in this area, keep the lower receiver extension where it needs to be and looks good doing it.

IMG_0990.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0993.jpeg
IMG_0990.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0993.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg
IMG_0995.jpeg
IMG_0998.jpeg
IMG_0999.jpeg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Just rebarrrled my 6.5 Grendel with a Faxon 20” Match 5R 6.5 Grendel barrel & matching headspaced bolt.

The old 24" Satern Match 5R barrel shot great, it just was too long and heavy for hunting with my Nomad-LT hanging off the end, and I really want to take a deer with my 6.5G. Now it's light enough and short enough that it's not unwieldy. I've been wanting this barrel for a long time, I hope she's accurate. I'll find out this upcoming weekend.

96C338CD-561A-40A2-8B19-5CA7FA5AD6E0.jpeg

53DF742F-82AE-4A72-8BEF-D98B374332B6.jpeg

Before & After

049B0E21-D7CC-4787-B325-035FFDDFD838.jpeg

Last edited:
1640126811971.png

1640126854548.png

This has become my new favorite almost everything AR rig.

Originally it started out as an experiment with a modern take on the old Mk12, which was my favorite downrange rig 16+ years ago. There were problems with those old rifles being too heavy and bulky beyond mostly static positions and definitely not handy enough if you got called to help inside a structure. So I thought "with what's available today, how would I make a rifle for those missions?" Something you could do precision work with but also run and gun just as effectively.

Started with LMT MLR so I could easily swap out barrels. Experimented with a variety of optics: 4x ACOG, NF NX8 1-8x, Vortex Razor Gen III 1-10x but found that I didn't particularly like using an LPVO on the low end and the magnification range was more of a problem for me than I expected. Enter the S&B 5-20x Ultra Short, which I initial got for a different rifle, but threw it on this just to see and it turns out it's kind of ideal for me. Also I'm quite used to H59 reticles in semi-autos, so that was an added benefit. Eurooptic was more or less liquidating these older non-illum models back in summer, so I got a good deal.

Next was putting an RMR on the forward scope rail because I'm old and used carry handle mounted optics early in my Army career. But it still didn't feel all that comfortable and I struggled to get used to it. So on a whim I tried a canted mount for the first time. Wow! I had no idea what I was missing? The first time I got to test it out on the square range I was amazed at how fast and comfortable it was to use. Run-n-gun optics problem solved.

Lastly, I needed a bipod. Sure, I've got a lot of years shooting prone unsupported with a sling or supported off of a ruck, but for this kind of stuff I felt a bipod was necessary. The problem was one of bulk, weight, and real estate. I was already on the way to making this a heavy rifle and adding a Harris or one of the weird custom rail-mounted bipods I have laying around was going to tip the scales too far. And the rail mounted options would take up too much precious real estate. Remember, this isn't purely a precision rig, so I needed to be able to comfortably run-n-gun with it. Then I tried the Assaulter Bipod from Heathen Systems. It's a real minimalist bipod and barricade mount of sorts that weighs almost nothing and isn't bulky at all. The legs stowed on the handguard have the added benefit of being handy for clearing ugly stoppages like a bolt override.

One thing I learned from the last trip to the square range is that flip caps can be a problem when you're using canted sights. Might be locking those suckers vertical next time I'm out.

Last edited:
My latest build and so far I haven't had any problems. I'm going to change out the A2 grip in the next few days but any input as to parts changes/upgrades would be appreciated. 20200605_103236.jpgResized_Screenshot_20200605-111221_Samsung_Notes.jpegScreenshot_20200605-113331_Samsung_Notes.jpg

Noveske matched upper and lower receiver, Noveske 16” 1-7, JP hand guard and Arca rail and Triggertech Adaptable trigger. Run a Ultra 9 30 cal on it for predator hunting and a Hellfire for when I’m just banging steel. Predator loads are 60gr Vmax’s and for shooting steel I’m running 69gr SMK’s.
View attachment 7776342View attachment 7776341
That little USO on there is perfect for that. Nice looking rig.

How do you like the USO?
It’s not a bad scope. Euro optic had them on sale so I picked this one up. Glass is probably comparable to the Athlon Helos but for hunting coyotes where 90% of shots are under 200yds it should work really well. I’ve shot it out to 500yds on steel and tracking was good.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Fun dedicated .22LR build I did to clone a KAC 6x35 PDW.

Had a CMMG 16" .22LR 1:16 twist barrel sent to ADCO for chop and thread and then dimpling, Form 1'd the lower, then put on a bunch of adapters to get the proper looking stock on there. URX3 and a CMT upper were as close as I could get to the monolithic upper they did. Took a bandsaw to the A2 grip. That's an airsoft mag for the picture. Was a fun build.

YkS6tEecZCZA5MgbT8qhy6ivpn8zGSn3yO4nfg_ThlA.jpg