• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos The Armalite Ultra SASS

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    Well it's been almost 6 months since a boy started out with a dream, and it's finally done.

The Armalite Ultra SASS started life as a used 300 SAUM upper that I built to suit.
    I originally intended on re-barreling to a 7mm SAUM, but she just shot too well to tear into.

The group with the yard stick was the last 6 test loads I had left. I planned on getting a group at 2-300 but the local range where I deer hunt only went to 100yds. So I just shot two consecutive 3 shot groups. 3 shots in about 10 seconds with a 3-4 minute break in between to go down to look.
    On the second group I was just praying that I didn't F'up a perfectly good group...the Ultra SASS didn't allow it.

The group on the plate was the first 3 rounds sent beyond 100 yds. Chrono'd 2 rounds, took the average, plugged everything into "Shooter" and let em fly to 1100. I just wanted to verify velocity with a drop test and it was pretty damn close.
    I need some practice "way out der" but it's going to be fun to learn.

1100 yds sending a 210 Berger VLD at 2925 gave me 27.75 MOA at a 3100 elevation and 40 degrees

Re: The Armalite Ultra SASS

Complete HD review with all the specs. Only thing I forgot is that I'm using a Tubbs Flat AR10 spring as well.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IGS3s4LJ9jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First 3 rounds beyond 100 yd load development, first time beyond 800, first AR10 and first .30 cal of any kind. Some sweet HD vapor trails as well.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QF7GfsOmieo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easily one of the baddest looking rifles I've seen. Reminds me of the Cheytac Intervention m200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily one of the baddest looking rifles I've seen. Reminds me of the Cheytac Intervention m200. </div></div>

That's all because of the RAPTR Grip, but thanks. I'm falling more and more in love every time I zip a round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacshooter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Almost makes me want to sell some of the bolts and get one... NICE! </div></div>
    I looked for a LONG time, for a place to build me one. A SAUM or WSM bolt and extractor was the main hang up. Everything else is pretty easy.

The POF 300 WSM is still on lock down due to reliable mags. Something that I don't really understand since DPMS and Armalite both figured it out, but I'm not the designer.

DPMS and Armalite both gave the caliber the big ugly AX.
    Sad. Other than that, AccuracySystems could still build you one of you can pound the pavement and track down a used one and re-barrel.

Nice gas gun. 7mm SAUM would be bad ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily one of the baddest looking rifles I've seen. Reminds me of the Cheytac Intervention m200. </div></div>

That's all because of the RAPTR Grip, but thanks. I'm falling more and more in love every time I zip a round. </div></div>
    I looked for that (As well as Raptor in case of typo) and couldnt find anything.
    Also, how do you use a grip like that? Is it comfortable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily one of the baddest looking rifles I've seen. Reminds me of the Cheytac Intervention m200. </div></div>

That's all because of the RAPTR Grip, but thanks. I'm falling more and more in love every time I zip a round. </div></div>
    I looked for that (As well as Raptor in case of typo) and couldnt find anything.
    Also, how do you use a grip like that? Is it comfortable? </div></div>

It's not out yet and yes, it is spelled RAPTR and it stands for Rugged, aluminum, picatinny, tactical, recon Grip. Wordy? Cheesy? Perhaps, but once it's on, it ain't letting go. Much like a bird of pray.

I'm going to do a full review of the grip and how it works this weekend. It's much more than a carry handle.
    The one on my rifle was just a prototype but I've already got it re-designed and the Mod 1 version should be even better. (I say "should be" because my guy hasn't even made the new one yet.)

I doubt I'll ever make enough money selling these to become a vendor, but I might be able to talk the guy that builds them into doing a group buy a bit cheaper.

I'll get some details worked out, hopefully before Christmas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easily one of the baddest looking rifles I've seen. Reminds me of the Cheytac Intervention m200. </div></div>

Also, how do you use a grip like that? Is it comfortable? </div></div>

It's not out yet and yes, it is spelled RAPTR and it stands for Rugged, aluminum, picatinny, tactical, recon Grip. Wordy? Cheesy? Perhaps, but once it's on, it ain't letting go. Much like a bird of pray.

I'm going to do a full review of the grip and how it works this weekend. It's much more than a carry handle.
    The one on my rifle was just a prototype but I've already got it re-designed and the Mod 1 version should be even better. (I say "should be" because my guy hasn't even made the new one yet.)

I doubt I'll ever make enough money selling these to become a vendor, but I might be able to talk the guy that builds them into doing a group buy a bit cheaper.

I'll get some details worked out, hopefully before Christmas. </div></div>

Not going to add "Operator" in between Tacitcal and Recon?
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not going to add "Operator" in between Tacitcal and Recon?
    grin.gif
    </div></div>
    confused.gif
    well that just wouldn't make sense lol
    I couldnt just call it the "RAP" Grip. Had to add a few descriptive words for the ARF crowd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I couldnt just call it the "RAP" Grip. </div></div>

People would put it on and shoot the weapon sideways.
    grin.gif

Nice rifle! I picked up an Armalite AR-10T Ultra years ago before they stopped making them. It's one hell of a rifle and I've taken lots of deer with it.

What about magazines? I've never been able to find any except Armalite's factory 5 rd. Always thought a 10 rounder would be nice.

I called Armalite and was told that the origonal 300 SAUM Gen 1 mags were modified .308 mags...BUT, they told me that the GEN 2 mags will feed SAUM ammo just fine.

So if your really want a 10 round mag, just pick up an Armalite Gen 2 10 rounder.

Mine's strictly for big game hunting, so 5 rounders suit me just fine.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Thats funny man! Nice rifle though and im wondering how this grip or carry handle works in real world sense? What does it do exactly?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GPRIPPERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Thats funny man! Nice rifle though and im wondering how this grip or carry handle works in real world sense? What does it do exactly? </div></div>
    whats funny???

Over Christmas break I'm gonna do a short HD video review of the grip. It's way more than a carry handle.

It pretty much replaces a forgrip, both angled or strait, and gives you the option to carry it by the handle as well. Not something you can do with other types of grips.
    It works the same as the handle on the M107 Barrett or the M200 Intervention, except it also gives you an extra place to support your rifle while you're shooting, either prone, sitting, kneeling or off hand.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">That</span> is <span style="font-weight: bold">outstanding</span></span>!!!
    shocked.gif

Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over Christmas break I'm gonna do a short HD video review of the grip. It's way more than a carry handle.

It pretty much replaces a forgrip, both angled or strait, and gives you the option to carry it by the handle as well. Not something you can do with other types of grips.
    It works the same as the handle on the M107 Barrett or the M200 Intervention, except it also gives you an extra place to support your rifle while you're shooting, either prone, sitting, kneeling or off hand. </div></div>
    Did you ever end up doing that video?