• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The best electronic scoring system?

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    I'm looking for an electronic scoring system for 50yds and 100yds. Seems like there are a ton of them in europe, but precious few state-side.

Anyone have any experience with these things, and if so, which one is the very best. As in, most precise. I want it to be able to measure group size, at minimum... and would be a bonus if it could measure velocity, score on specific targets such as ARA, and could measure distance from POA for both individual shots as well as group center. It needs to be accurate down to at least 10 thousandths or I probably won't bother with it.

I have used inband for few years

They make 25m and 50m shooting targets and in Finland are impossible to beat for the price. I bet it would work fine at longer distance too.

Screenshot_20200528-164952_Chrome.jpg

I read on their site that they are coming up with a new model Inband Free also?

Nevertheless, it works by using 4 sound sensors, which triangulate (with 4 data points) the origin of sound hitting the rubber belt that rolls behind the target paper.

At my club range the backwall's steel plates make almost a deafening sound upon impact (my ears start feeling pressurized as I am remembering it) and we will be using some foam to cover the device after the range is opened.

It is not the perfect device for you, but I think with small creativity it can be.

As the hole where the shots go is black rubber that slowly rolls, there is not aiming point when shooting. That is why I move my POA to one of the screws or a strayed bullet mark next to the rubber band. If I were you I would make my own POA mark with some paint marker or a sticker.

The rubber belt that rolls is similar to mouse mat and can take many hits before its lifetime ends. Like few thousands.

The software draws the shot pattern onto an olympic style target on your computer screen, I have used 10m air rifle, 10m air pistol and 50m smallbore. I think they could support other targets too, why not? For now it supports the olympic styles targets only.

The software also has ammonition testing mode where it shows group size and theoretical score and impacts centered on a 50m target.

What do they use at the Lapua and Eley testing centers, do they just measure manually?

Reactions: CoryT
    You need to see this video. This the ultimate way to test the system. While it's demonstrated here on Olympic air rifles the same method works for .22's at 50 yards.

Reactions: ZG47A
    The Meyton electronic system is widely used in high level competition and is the unit demonstrated in the above video. While I don't own one I've used them many times in competition and they are awesome.

Orkan, an electronic target would take your testing to the next level in that you will be able to record and compare data all on your computer and easily share this information online. Also there is no need for paper targets. There is a learning curve and it would be ideal if someone were available to help you get going but once setup it's pretty easy to use. BTW in an earlier post I didn't mean to offend you regarding group size as the real issue is the accuracy level of the rifle is improving to the point that the current methods used to measure groups is not reliable with variables like how the paper react to the bullet, the interpretation of the true edge of the bullet, etc. Current methods using calipers are just not reliable for measuring group sizes to a few thousands of an inch. To prove this have five people independently measure groups and compare the results. BTW I've been a professionally employed engineering for 32 years and typically look at things from a "different" perspective and have no intention to offend. Your work has been great and I look forward to your posts daily!

I have used shot marker and silver mountain targets in matches. I haven't played with them in detail but the accuracy comparing the physical target to the electronic scoring measurement was pretty impressive on the shot marker.

Edit* I know the shot marker measures velocity on target and group sure but have no idea how scientifically accurate the velocity is

One thing that testing rimfires brings to the mix is many electronic targets require the bullets to exceed the speed, at the target, of sound to record the location. The microphones pick up the sonic crack of the bullet, below the speed of sound no sonic crack.

Just something to keep in mind,
    wade

One thing that testing rimfires brings to the mix is many electronic targets require the bullets to exceed the speed, at the target, of sound to record the location. The microphones pick up the sonic crack of the bullet, below the speed of sound no sonic crack.

wade

Thanks for that tip. I planned to stick with optical solutions.

wade

Interesting, I’ve used shotmarker a bunch but never subsonic. Ill have to give it a try and see what happens.

Its a great system btw.

An example of the background information on the shotmarker system. This was me testing poi shift.

Attachments

• 7CBBCCF9-944D-40DD-952A-C058BA5CDA07.jpeg
      7CBBCCF9-944D-40DD-952A-C058BA5CDA07.jpeg
      293.5 KB · Views: 66
    Reactions: frost1235
    I have a SIUS HS10 Hybridscore. I have the accessories to use it for 10 meter air rifle and 50 foot and 50 meter smallbore. I In the 5 or so years that I have had it and 10's of thousands of rounds that I have shot thru it, it has worked flawlessly. The accessories available for using it for the different distances are well made and well engineered. The US dealer can be found here www.siususa.com/index_files/Page1261.htm.
    If you want something that can give you more data, the Megalink 3D Score target https://www.megalink.no/en/products/50m-targets/3d-score.html records velocity at the target so it may be better for your purposes. The US representative can be found at http://megalinkusa.com/.
    As has been noted above, the open microphone systems such as Silver Mountain and Shotmarker will not work with subsonic bullet speeds.