• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The best summer drink

Jeff Gahler

Aim small, lead far. Also.Definitely not a federal
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2023
Arlington, VA
Is a jalapeño margarita.

You can disagree. But you’d be wtong
2D570262-6211-4832-9439-9AC072FB6447.jpeg
E08A16EC-602C-4097-9BEE-05440865FFBD.jpeg
27B611B9-58D4-4E1C-9AE0-2173269CF271.jpeg

Easy to make
Salt
Simply Lime Aid
Simply Oj if desired
reposada tequila
Blanco tequila

Is a jalapeño margarita.

You can disagree. But you’d be wtongView attachment 8191082View attachment 8191083View attachment 8191084

Easy to make
Salt
Simply Lime Aid
Simply Oj if desired
reposada tequila
Blanco tequila
I’ve been “wtong” before, but shouldn’t a jalapeño margarita include jalapeños, somewhere?

And, a margarita is a waste of a good tequila. You’re not going to taste the difference in a marg. Mid grade tequila is for mixing. Save the better stuff for sipping.

A couple of different recipes. Easy one is whiskey sour. You can get the mix and whiskey and shake with ice.

Another I learned is 2 jiggers of scotch whiskey, pepper, worcestershire sauce, tomato or vegetable juice, shaken with ice. It is a scottish recipe called a bannockburn.

I, however, being a cheeky bleeder, call it a Bloody Mary, Queen of Scots.

Aren't I clever?

Reactions: BufordTJustice
every day I lie to myself that this is a great refreshing drink , but it does leave a lot to be desired at least till you don't have any then it's the best thing on the planet

That sounds terrible
I’m constantly surprised at the people that think that Tequila isn’t supposed to taste good. Or, that one must settle for varnish remover with salt and lime. FFS, if you need salt and lime, it’s not fit to drink.

Not exactly mid grade, but if you know, you know…

Texas Roadhouse in Sherman, Texas has a margarita made with Cabo Wabo Tequila, formerly owned by Sammy Hagar before he sold it to his competition. They call it the Wabo-Rita.

Texas Roadhouse in Sherman, Texas has a margarita made with Cabo Wabo Tequila, formerly owned by Sammy Hagar before he sold it to his competition. They call it the Wabo-Rita.
Where did Sammy learn to make tequila?

The only thing I will put in tequila I am going to drink is a small amount of fresh squeezed lime
and tequila is my go to drink for any season any day of the week

The reason most people think tequila tastes bad is they drink the donkey piss called Jose Cuervo
There are plenty of $30 bottles of tequila that taste way better than donkey piss cuervo, you don't have to go to high dollar Don Julio

Once you grow some hair on your balls you can drink all Mezcal straight. Lime does not offer any taste enhancement on non-tequila variety Mezcal IMO

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
is gin and tonic.

or a cocktail called The Last Word

or another called a Paper Plane

or a margarita made with fresh squeezed lemon juice. It’s way better than lime. Try it. 1/1/2 Lemon juice, simple syrup, Tequila. No cointreau, no Lime Aid (?) no triple sec.

Reactions: Ichi
Now hang on a damn minute…. I’m from Sherman and i didn’t know this

Reactions: Ronws
Gin Martini prohibition style
It’s a damn shame that a person has to say “gin martini”. What the hell else would one make a martini out of?

Oh that’s right, Candy down at the tri delt house likes it with Vodka. 🙄

I hammered down a bottle of Cabo Wabo last weekend with some lemon and lime juice.

I damn near didn't make it until sundown. But it was tasty.

Reactions: Ronws
It’s a damn shame that a person has to say “gin martini”. What the hell else would one make a martini out of?

I thought a martini was always gin, unless you specified vodka.

Either way, gin is horrid.

And by god, if Candy and Tiffany down at the Try a Delt house are drinking vodka martinis, then we’re drinking vodka martinis.

Well, there you go. If I knew what lillet was, I might be inclined to try one.

From this wikipedia page:
Shaken, not stirred

Although there is a lot of discussion on the Vesper, it is only ordered once throughout Fleming's novels and by later books Bond is ordering regular vodka martinis, though he also drinks regular gin martinis. In total, Bond orders 19 vodka martinis and 16 gin martinis throughout Fleming's novels and short stories.
A Vesper differs from Bond's usual cocktail of choice, the martini, in that it uses both gin and vodka, Kina Lillet instead of vermouth, and lemon peel instead of an olive. In the same scene Bond gives more details about the Vesper, telling the same barman that vodka made from grain instead of potatoes makes the drink even better. Kina Lillet is no longer available,[2] but can be approximated[3] by using the sweeter Lillet Blanc along with a dash of Angostura Bitters. Another Kina (or quinine) apertif which has the bite and approximate flavour is Cocchi Americano. Russian and Polish vodkas were also always preferred by Bond if they were in stock.

is gin and tonic.

or a cocktail called The Last Word

or another called a Paper Plane

or a margarita made with fresh squeezed lemon juice. It’s way better than lime. Try it. 1/1/2 Lemon juice, simple syrup, Tequila. No cointreau, no Lime Aid (?) no triple sec.

The Last Word is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, Chartreuse has become hard to find. So, I only have one on special occasions.

THE LAST WORD
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) The Botanist Islay Dry Gin
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Fresh lime juice
Cocktail cherry for garnish

If you prefer Rye, try the Final Ward or the Monte Cassino. But like the Last Word, they use Chartreuse as well.

THE FINAL WARD
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Rittenhouse 100 proof Rye Whiskey
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) fresh lemon juice

THE MONTE CASSINO
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Rittenhouse 100 proof Rye Whiskey
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Bénéndictine Liqueur

If you cannot find Chartreuse, the Corpse Reviver No. 2 is a great alternative.

CORPSE REVIVER NO. 2
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) The Botanist Islay Dry Gin
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Cocchi Americano
3/4 oz. (22.5 ml) Luxardo Triplum Triple Sec
Rinse of La Clandestine Absinthe

Reactions: Nik H
From this wikipedia page:
Shaken, not stirred

Although there is a lot of discussion on the Vesper, it is only ordered once throughout Fleming's novels and by later books Bond is ordering regular vodka martinis, though he also drinks regular gin martinis. In total, Bond orders 19 vodka martinis and 16 gin martinis throughout Fleming's novels and short stories.
A Vesper differs from Bond's usual cocktail of choice, the martini, in that it uses both gin and vodka, Kina Lillet instead of vermouth, and lemon peel instead of an olive. In the same scene Bond gives more details about the Vesper, telling the same barman that vodka made from grain instead of potatoes makes the drink even better. Kina Lillet is no longer available,[2] but can be approximated[3] by using the sweeter Lillet Blanc along with a dash of Angostura Bitters. Another Kina (or quinine) apertif which has the bite and approximate flavour is Cocchi Americano. Russian and Polish vodkas were also always preferred by Bond if they were in stock.
Vesper is a great cocktail made as above but if you're not a seasoned drinker, start with one....

Fuck "Shaken and not Stirred" BS as well

Clear liquors and even Manhattans should be stirred to keep them clear versus cloudy.

That is where Ian Fleming proved he knew little about the art of making a good cocktail

I totally agree.

A Martini is Gin but I guarantee if you walk into 10 bars and ask for a Martini, 8/10 bartenders will ask "what kind of vodka?"

Same BS lack of knowledge idiocy with the use of Vermouth. Original formulations of the Martini was 3:1 gin to vermouth and sometimes even 2:1. There was never a "super dry" martini. Most people and most bars have never tried a good vermouth and hence the migration to a "super dry" martini. Martini and Rossi isn't one which is what most bars use. Dry vermouth should also be kept in the fridge like white wine or it spoils. I never buy anything but 375mL bottles of dry vermouth for that reason.

When I want a "super dry" martini, I drink gin on the rocks

My wife’s favorite drink is jalapeño margarita. I’ve gotta say I’ve gotten rather good at making them. You just gotta mud the jalapeño right.

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
I totally agree.

A Martini is Gin but I guarantee if you walk into 10 bars and ask for a Martini, 8/10 bartenders will ask "what kind of vodka?"

Same BS lack of knowledge idiocy with the use of Vermouth. Original formulations of the Martini was 3:1 gin to vermouth and sometimes even 2:1. There was never a "super dry" martini. Most people and most bars have never tried a good vermouth and hence the migration to a "super dry" martini. Martini and Rossi isn't one which is what most bars use. Dry vermouth should also be kept in the fridge like white wine or it spoils. I never buy anything but 375mL bottles of dry vermouth for that reason.

When I want a "super dry" martini, I drink gin on the rocks
I like the method of shaking the ice in vermouth and then pouring it off and adding in the gin. It probably doesn’t even approach 3:1.

I do keep the vermouth in the fridge.

If you find a bottle of Old Islandia, it’s a new close second to Hendricks in my cabinet.