• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Christmas Story - the movie

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I love that movie, reminds me of my childhood, Only I didn't live in town. We lived in the country. My Aunt lived down the hill a short ways.

The Red Rider:

One Christmas Eve I got my BB gun, I had it taken away from me Christmas Morning.

Living in the country there was unlimited targets. One I couldn't resist was my aunts chamber pot. We didn't have indoor plumbing so many woman kept a chamber pot under the bed for their nightly activities. In the morning they were emptied and hung on a fence post to dry.

Now a porcelain chamber pot makes too tempting of a target for a young'n with a brand new BB gun. Problem is, I didn't know that when BB's hit the pot, the porcelain chips, when it chips it leaks.

Auntie got her feet wet sometime during the night and I lost my BB gun the next (Christmas) morning.

As a side note my grandmother's chickens weren't too upset they took my BB gun away either.

Re: The Christmas Story - the movie

I love that movie also. One year after we had opened the presents and taking the wrapping paper outside, my dad placed 2 Red Riders wrapped in Barbie wrapping paper in the corner of the living room. My younger brother and I came back in the living room as he said we missed 2. Pretty much like the movie. Everytime I watch the movie, it brings back memories of shredding pink wrapping paper to find a BB gun.

Come to think of it, everytime my old man bought a rifle for me he wrapped it in pink Barbie paper.

Always enjoyed popping some really mean roosters with my bb gun, until mom caught me and blistered my butt.

If youd had a "Daisy" things might have been diferent. I lost a really nice slingshot in a similar way......

Not to mention the M-80 we dropped into the outhouse of the black family....while the old womean was on the pot.....

Ah the things kids do.

Since its somebody's celebrated birthday today, ill just say

"He Lives".

My favorite Christmas movie.

I had turned 13 and had killed my first deer that fall.

All I could possibly want for Christmas that year was a Winchester Model 94 30-30.

We weren't poor, we just didn't have a lot of money when I was young (poor is a state of mind).

As hard as I wished, Daddy told me that he just couldn't afford to get me the Winchester.

It was the same year that Daisy introduced the "Spittin' Image" B-B gun. It was an almost exact replica of the 94 Winchester.

Christmas moring comes, and there under the tree is the Daisy "Spittin' Image" and two big cannisters of B-B's.

I tried, as best I could, to hide my disappointment.

Daddy said, "Son, I couldn't afford to get you the Winchester, but I got ya something as close as I could." Yeah!!! Like a freakin B-B gun is like a deer rifle!?!?!? What you been drinkin you old fart?!?!?!

I thought the box felt a bit heavy . . .

I took off the bow and opened the box, therein lay a brand new Winchester 94 30-30.

I wish I could paint the expression in my Daddy's eyes, and the tears in mine.

He had gone to a hardware store and persuaded the owner to give him a "Spittin' Image" box. The owner was somewhat reluctant, that is until Daddy told him what he was up to.

Things like that are the things the make the Christmases you can't forget.

Watching Christmas Story is a Christmas Tradition for us.

Funny thing is that when I was about 11, I wanted a Crosman 760 air rifle *bad*. Parents did exactly the same thing as on the movie. Hid the rifle under the sofa until the last thing when I was really disappointed that I didn't get it. They gave me a scope, even, and said the rifle was on back order. Then they gave it to me. I spent hours w. Service Merchandise catalog wishing for it... And shot the barrel out of it until I got a .22 pump (that I still have) a couple of years later.

It was a slippery slope!

christmasstory.jpg

^^^ one of the reasons I find this picture to be hilarious.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I remember growing up and listening to Jean Shepherd every night on WOR 710, New York from 11:15 to 12 mid night. What a great raconteur he was. With his voice as narrator of The Christmas Story it brings back good thoughts.

Maxwell

They no longer make the side loading kever action that was a scale upon the Red Ryder that was my first BB gun. More chirpy birds, lounging lizards, and pretty much anything that moved, flew or sat there got shot and killed. Of course one day when my step fatrher found out what I was doing, I was given a choice. Either stop killing everything I saw, or eat everything I killed. It was a few more years until I saved up the cash for a Remington 781 .22, then a Crosssman American Classic Pistol, complete with aftermarket stock, scope and wickedly pointy pellets

I remember my first 22, it was a pump, god knows what brand. My mom was wrapping christmas presents and after mine were wrapped I started shaking them. Well their was one, odd shaped and made a lot of noise (a 100rd brick of 22). Come christmas morning, I opened up that box and looked at them puzzled, well thank you to Californias stupid fucking 10 day wait (my parents didnt know had just taken affect) the rifle was still at the pawn shop, so they gave me the bullets. Boy was I an excited little pup when mom finally brought me home that 22! One of the best Christmass ever.

I love that movie so much, I went to visit the house where they actually filmed part of the movie in Cleveland OH and while I was there I bought me a fullsize leg lamp at the gift shop.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hank440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love that movie so much, I went to visit the house where they actually filmed part of the movie in Cleveland OH and while I was there I bought me a fullsize leg lamp at the gift shop.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I've been wanting to get my dad one of those for the longest time. He'd love it and mom would hate it, just like the movie.

What healthy young boy wouldn't want to touch this?

MuVAB.jpg

My wife purchased a full-sized leg lamp for me 2 years ago. It's awesome! Sitting in the front window as we speak.

Love that movie.

Wiki: "The movie's fictional BB gun, described as the "Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time", does not correspond to any model in existence nor even a prototype; the Red Ryder featured in the movie was specially made to match author Jean Shepherd's story (which may be artistic license, but was the configuration Shepherd claimed to remember).[1] However, the "Buck Jones" Daisy air rifle, immediately above the Red Ryder in the Daisy line, did have a compass and sundial in the stock,[2] but no other features of the "Red Ryder" model."

Radar86, man!!! You're such a buzz-kill.

But I will defer to your knowledge and research.

But it's the thought, concept and memories that count.

That movie was a big part of my childhood. I still have a Red Ryder, (probably my 4th one) and the "you'll shoot your eye out!" line gets spoken every year. Got my first bb gun when I was 8, and just like in the movie it was a Daisy Red Ryder with the stupid leather tassle hanging from the 'receiver'.

Now, the sad part...is that the Red Ryders aren't made like they used to be. The first one I got was all metal and wood, now days they are predominantly plastic and some reconstituted mulch that passes for wood. Price tag has gone up too. Think I paid 19 dollars for my second one, the last one I bought in 2000 was closer to $24.99. Went to Ass Pro Shops the other day, they were $34.99 and all plastic.

It is a great movie - I love so many parts of it too.

It's such a great hit around here a fella we know made a "bigger than life" version of the lamp. He had it in our little town Christmas Parade.

christmasstoryleg3.jpg

christmasstoryleg1.jpg

I think it was in 5 or 6 local parades after others heard about it.

Topstrap