• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Clone

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I have a Pre64 Winnie.

I’ve been debating having it modded.

If I wanted to build a clone M40 off it (in 30-06) what are the specs? I’ve reached out to McMillan about a M40 stock…

Im torn between that route or finding a donor 700 and building a 308.

What do y’all think?

If you want to do an M40 clone there is only one way. Remington 700. Now then what M40 variant do you want to do? M40,M40a1,M40a3 etc.

Reactions: Frank Green
    With a Pre-64 Winchester you should do a USMC Model 70 sniper clone.
    Carlos_Rifleand_UnertlScope.jpg

If I wanted to build a clone M40 off it (in 30-06) what are the specs? I’ve reached out to McMillan about a M40 stock…
    This is confusing. McMillian Fiberglass Stocks only makes fiberglass stocks, as used on the M40A1 (1980s-90s era) thru M40A6 (201X era)
    A pre-64 Winchester Model 70 is generally a wooden stocked rifle, so don't know why a McMillan stock would be a consideration if a "replica" of a USMC sniper is the goal - unless it's an M40A1 w/ M700 action. Here's three USMC replicas representing different eras: M40 in 308W (circa 1967 to late 1970s), the M70 in 30-06 (circa early Vietnam war 1965-1966), and the M1903 w/ 8x scope circa late WWII and Korean war (1943 to 1953 era).

USMC_replica_snipers_1_v2.JPG

I think you need to set you goal as to what platform and caliber that you want (Winchester M70 vs Remington M700, 308W vs 30-06), and then set your budget as the price of scopes can vary widely based on how "correct" you want the rifle to be. Only then can you decide what you really want, but if I had an extra pre-64 M70 - I'd build something like I did with that middle rifle, which started life as a mid-1950s Featherweight in 308, but reborn in 30-06 as a hybrid USMC M70 sniper circa mid-1960s. (The 12X Lyman scope has since been replaced with a 1960s era Unertl 10x). Just remember that a replica of the M40A1 is a very expensive journey - assuming something reasonably "correct" is the goal, and that would require an M700 short action, not the pre-64 M70 that you have.

Here is a well-known picture of Carlos Hathcock with his retirement gift from the USMC PWS shop. It was a post-64 Winchester Model 70 with a heavy barrel, an early McMillan stock, and a vintage green anodized Leupold 3-9x scope from the Vietnam era. This rifle/configuration was never used by the USMC, but Hathcock liked the M70s and the new McMillan fiberglass camo stocks, so that's what the PWS gunsmiths made for his retirement in 1979.
    hathcock.jpg

Last edited:
    This is confusing. McMillian Fiberglass Stocks only makes fiberglass stocks, as used on the M40A1 (1980s-90s era) thru M40A6 (201X era)
    A pre-64 Winchester Model 70 is generally a wooden stocked rifle, so don't know why a McMillan stock would be a consideration if a "replica" of of a USMC sniper is the goal - esp an M40A1. Here's three USMC replicas representing different eras: M40 in 308W (circa 1967 to late 1970s), the M70 in 30-06 (circa early Vietnam war 1965-1966), and the M1903 w/ 8x scope circa late WWII and Korean war (1943 to 1953 era).

I think you need to set you goal as to what platform and caliber that you want (Winchester M70 vs Remington M700, 308W vs 30-06), and then set your budget as the price of scopes can vary widely based on how "correct" you want it to be. Only then can you decide what you really want, but if I had an extra pre-64 M70 - I'd build something like I did with that middle rifle, which started life as a mid-1950s Featherweight in 308, but reborn in 30-06 as a hybrid USMC M70 sniper circa mid-1960s. (The 12X Lyman scope has since been replaced with a 1960s era Unertl 10x). Just remember that a replica of the M40A1 is a very expensive journey - assuming something reasonably "correct" is the goal, and that would require an M700 short action, not the pre-64 M70 that you have.

View attachment 8180014

Here is a well-known picture of Carlos Hathcock with his retirement gift from the USMC PWS shop. It was a post-64 Winchester Model 70 with a heavy barrel, an early McMillan stock, and a vintage green anodized Leupold 3-9x scope from the Vietnam era. This rifle/configuration was never used by the USMC, but Hathcock liked the M70s and the then new McMillan stocks, so that's what the PWS gunsmiths made for his retirement in 1979.
    hathcock.jpg
    This is the route I would go if I had a Pre64 Win. With a Toki ano’d green Redfield the cost wouldn’t be too bad.

Featherweight stock, Douglas barrel, a Toki Redfield and he’s off to the races.

1FB6D1C5-CE05-4428-9747-6FD0699C95EF.jpeg

I really don't know what the OP wants to build, but there's some good suggestions by @Random Guy and others. If anyone is planning on building a USMC M70 sniper clone or shooting team clone, I have a few original barrels for sale. Original heavy Douglas blued barrels circa 1960's, and heavy Douglas barrel in the white circa 1980's. As far as I know, there's never been any public sales of the original USMC 2112 modified Douglas M70 barrels, they're just traded between collectors and there's only a handful (about half a dozen each) of each type known to still exist. I'll try to throw some up on Gunbroker if I have time tomorrow. OP, if you're doing an M70 build, you should consider using any original parts like this.

Also, I used one of these 1960's RTE Douglas barrels on the Winchester M70 rifle that I donated to the Scout Sniper Association for their annual rifle raffle. That decades old barrel with unknown history and round count was able to shoot multiple 1.5MOA groups at 300 yards! And that was also using vintage .30-06 ammo from the same time period! Pretty damn good for an old barrel

Okay I’m back.

For some reason I thought that some of the early on M40s were M70s in McMillans. I stand corrected.

So the idea would be to turn it into a “replica” M70 like @HogsLife mentioned. The rifle I have is a 51 chambered in 270, so a new barrel/stock/scope will be warranted at some point.

Eventually I may even build a M40 clone off a 700 as well.

Okay I’m back.

For some reason I thought that some of the early on M40s were M70s in McMillans. I stand corrected.

So the idea would be to turn it into a “replica” M70 like @HogsLife mentioned. The rifle I have is a 51 chambered in 270, so a new barrel/stock/scope will be warranted at some point.

Eventually I may even build a M40 clone off a 700 as well.
    Don’t think you’d need a new stock man if you have the checkered featherweight stock on there rn. Should just be a new Douglas barrel chambered in a 30-06, Redfield scope base for a LA M70 / Gen 1 low rings (double slotted screws through the top) and an F Prefix Redfield 3-9 accurange with the Toki green ano treatment. Douglas still makes the M70 Sniper contour so that’s an easy deal there.

Pretty quick / easy build as far as builds go.

Last edited:
    Don’t think you’d need a new stock man if you have the checkered featherweight stock on there rn. Should just be a new Douglas barrel chambered in a 30-06, Redfield scope base for a LA M70 / Gen 1 low rings (double slotted screws through the top) and an F Prefix Redfield 3-9 accurange with the Toki green ano treatment. Douglas still makes the M70 Sniper contour so that’s an easy deal there.

Pretty quick / easy build as far as builds go.
    Thank you. It does sound easier then originally anticipated.

My stocks not a featherweight I don’t believe. And it needs a bit of work but I’m sure I could make it work.

Where can one find those Redfields? Are they pricey?

Reactions: HogsLife
    Thank you. It does sound easier then originally anticipated.

My stocks not a featherweight I don’t believe. And it needs a bit of work but I’m sure I could make it work.

Where can one find those Redfields? Are they pricey?
    This would be on the higher end of what they go for. @USMCSGT0331 may correct me but I believe this turret cap style would be best suited for the green ano treatment.

The Gen 2’s typically go for a bit less and would be better suited for the satin black Ano. There’s a few of them on eBay rn. Just check that guys eBay store out. He’s got a few.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    This would be on the higher end of what they go for. @USMCSGT0331 may correct me but I believe this turret cap style would be best suited for the green ano treatment.

The Gen 2’s typically go for a bit less and would be better suited for the satin black Ano. There’s a few of them on eBay rn. Just check that guys eBay store out. He’s got a few.
    Same guy I was looking at. Wanted to ask to be 100%. Thank you.

Reactions: HogsLife