• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMCSGT0331 newbies guide to building a M40

Your comment didn't get lost in the noise, we all know that you're looking for the scope! You have 6 posts on this site, and 4 of those 6 post are you posting that you're looking for a scope. You even posted that twice in this thread and posted in 2 other threads. We get it, you're looking for a scope!

That's about as kindly as I'll put it, since you're new here. Other accounts have been locked or banned for spamming the tech sections of this post for WTB and WTS posts like yours. Just be thankful that a mod hasn't seen your posts and locked your account or whatever by now. Don't take this personally, the people who frequent this section of the forum (and other sections) are sick of people trying to post WTB and WTS outside of the PX area. If you think I'm being harsh, just imagine having to write this same post every few weeks (assuming that the mods haven't first banned the person). I'm providing you with advice below, I suggest that you use it.

If you're truly here to learn, then start asking questions in the relevant topic threads. There's many people on this site, myself included, that will do our absolute best to help you out. But first you need to stop making these WTB (want to buy) posts all over this section of the forum. Also, the guys who hang out in this section usually check every single thread for new posts, because this is the stuff that interests us. So, if we've seen one of your posts, then we've seen them all, and someone would have contacted you by now if they could help. Spamming this section is only going to turn people off and that will only work against you.

Here's a link to the PX on this forum, where you will make all of your buy/sell/trade posts:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forums/firearms-buy-sell-trade/

So, please stop posting your WTB ads in this secton of the forum, use the PX. Also, this site hammers people for making posts like yours outside the PX area because it's not just annoying, but it's also against site rules and tons of people try to sidestep the part where they need to pay to use the PX. The forum owner and the moderators do an amazing job keeping this site running and adding content for paid members. Buying a "supporter" account for $20 per month is a very small price to pay to have exclusive access to what's possibly the best forum PX on the internet! The money also goes to making the site better, covers the site costs, and pays for the content that's exclusive to paid memberships.

With that said, and the assumption that you aren't going to make any more WTB posts for that scope outside of the PX area, what M40 information can I help you with? Post questions here or in their relevant threads, and we'll start helping you out.
My apologies, I assumed the more comments I made the higher the chances of someone seeing it and being able to help me would go up. I won't make any more... Thank you for the feedback and reply.

I do have a question, I don't know if this has been discussed here or not... My newly acquired M40 is the first wooden stock rifle I have ever owned, I have cleaned the bolt, barrel etc. I have not cleaned the stock yet, I don't want to damage the wood. What do you all recommend on treating the wood with that won't damage it in the long run?

I do have a question, I don't know if this has been discussed here or not... My newly acquired M40 is the first wooden stock rifle I have ever owned, I have cleaned the bolt, barrel etc. I have not cleaned the stock yet, I don't want to damage the wood. What do you all recommend on treating the wood with that won't damage it in the long run?
I personally wipe mine down with Boiled Linseed Oil every few years. I've always had good luck with it.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. I will give that a try, I'm assuming a little of that goes along way.
It does. I pull all metal off the stock and then put a coat on it and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then wipe off any excess.

It works great and I do this to every wood stocked rifle I own. Even extremely expensive stocks.

Just make sure all metal is removed or otherwise it sort of makes a mess on metal.

Reactions: ArtofStealth
Your comment didn't get lost in the noise, we all know that you're looking for the scope! You have 6 posts on this site, and 4 of those 6 post are you posting that you're looking for a scope. You even posted that twice in this thread and posted in 2 other threads. We get it, you're looking for a scope!

That's about as kindly as I'll put it, since you're new here. Other accounts have been locked or banned for spamming the tech sections of this post for WTB and WTS posts like yours. Just be thankful that a mod hasn't seen your posts and locked your account or whatever by now. Don't take this personally, the people who frequent this section of the forum (and other sections) are sick of people trying to post WTB and WTS outside of the PX area. If you think I'm being harsh, just imagine having to write this same post every few weeks (assuming that the mods haven't first banned the person). I'm providing you with advice below, I suggest that you use it.

If you're truly here to learn, then start asking questions in the relevant topic threads. There's many people on this site, myself included, that will do our absolute best to help you out. But first you need to stop making these WTB (want to buy) posts all over this section of the forum. Also, the guys who hang out in this section usually check every single thread for new posts, because this is the stuff that interests us. So, if we've seen one of your posts, then we've seen them all, and someone would have contacted you by now if they could help. Spamming this section is only going to turn people off and that will only work against you.

Here's a link to the PX on this forum, where you will make all of your buy/sell/trade posts:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forums/firearms-buy-sell-trade/

So, please stop posting your WTB ads in this secton of the forum, use the PX. Also, this site hammers people for making posts like yours outside the PX area because it's not just annoying, but it's also against site rules and tons of people try to sidestep the part where they need to pay to use the PX. The forum owner and the moderators do an amazing job keeping this site running and adding content for paid members. Buying a "supporter" account for $20 per month is a very small price to pay to have exclusive access to what's possibly the best forum PX on the internet! The money also goes to making the site better, covers the site costs, and pays for the content that's exclusive to paid memberships.

With that said, and the assumption that you aren't going to make any more WTB posts for that scope outside of the PX area, what M40 information can I help you with? Post questions here or in their relevant threads, and we'll start helping you out.
Do you know what action screws were originally on the M40? My SSA came with allen head screws, it appears the Chuck Mawhinney batch of rifles came with flathead screws. I recently had to do some stock work, what are the torque specs? I don't want to over/under torque, since the stock is wood I'm assuming 30-40?