• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Company Store - 2023

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You load 16 tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
St. Peter, don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

It's coming... Company job, company house and the company store.

Google
is hoping to lure workers back to the office with a new on-site hotel special, but some workers aren’t convinced it’s a good deal.
The company said full-time employees can book a room at an on-campus hotel in Mountain View for $99 a night in what it’s deeming a “Summer Special,” according to materials viewed by CNBC. The description states that the special will run through Sept. 30 in hopes it’ll “make it easier for Googlers to transition to the hybrid workplace.”

I did company housing for three years in the early 80's. More like a company suburb than a company town. No other housing options. Rent came right out of your check. Was actually a good deal in the long run.

Thank you,
MrSmith

I did company housing for three years in the early 80's. More like a company suburb than a company town. No other housing options. Rent came right out of your check. Was actually a good deal in the long run.

Thank you,
MrSmith
I see it as a "wave of the future". The double edged sword. I think the medical arena is already there in many areas. The requirement for many of them is to reside near the hospital where they work. Law enforcement, in many cases is required to be a resident of the area they patrol. Perhaps I am wrong but there does not seem to be much more "mass transit" construction on the horizon. Conditions are evolving.

Company housing , Contractor Compound .
Potato potato .
Or , fuck off I'll keep muh Fuggin howz Esse .

Reactions: 10ring'r
Ask a coal miner's newly widowed wife how many hours she had before her kids and belongings were removed from the company's house and set out on the road.

We had company housing (6-8/location) at compressor stations for 50+ years. It was like $30-$50/month, all utilities and most maintenance paid (AC, hot water heater, paint, etc). People lived in them for their 40 year career and then complained they didn't have any money to buy a house when they retired and had to move out. They spent all their money on toys, vacations, ......
When the decision was made to get rid of them, the employees howled!!! You were given the option to buy it for like $10K but you had to move it. Problem was they had the old hard asbestos siding on them. BUT, BUT, being environmentally conscious, the company paid like $50K each to have the siding removed and the house destroyed.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
We had company housing (6-8/location) at compressor stations for 50+ years. It was like $30-$50/month, all utilities and most maintenance paid (AC, hot water heater, paint, etc). People lived in them for their 40 year career and then complained they didn't have any money to buy a house when they retired and had to move out. They spent all their money on toys, vacations, ......
When the decision was made to get rid of them, the employees howled!!! You were given the option to buy it for like $10K but you had to move it. Problem was they had the old hard asbestos siding on them. BUT, BUT, being environmentally conscious, the company paid like $50K each to have the siding removed and the house destroyed.

Asbestos siding and roofing was great in sunny hot weather.