• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Conjuring

roggom

Senior Chief
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Northern Colorado
This is one scary ass movie. I don't know what it is, maybe because its set in the 70's so it flashes me back to watching Movies like "The Shining" and "The Exorsist" when I was little. Most modern horror movies are just so far beyond and kinda stupid, this one will definitely be fun to watch with your spouse or date.

going during the week, love a good scary flick.hopefully it will be as good as the trailer looks

It cracks me up when they label these supernatural horror movies as "based on a true story" or the more common and equally misleading "based on true events."

The wife and I saw it last night. She's a big scary movie fan and really enjoyed it. Lots of girls screaming in the theater lol.

I grew up near the Warrens in CT, they used to come to the High School and put on big presentations with all the crazy stuff they had. We're talking early 80's, pre-video and it was nuts the footage and images they had back then. No SyFy channel or Ghost Hunters, they were at Amityville, Lindley Street, the place in the movie and a bunch of other places. It was a scary Highlight growing up seeing the Warrens stuff.

It cracks me up when they label these supernatural horror movies as "based on a true story" or the more common and equally misleading "based on true events."
My thoughts exactly! I mean really how could it be based on true events when ghosts are imaginary anyway?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

so i had to see what the buzz was all about and gotta say, I pissed my pants twice, and sharted just a little. for the past week I sleep with the lights on, I havent left my room since there are stairs in the hallway, I turned all the mirrors around backwards, refuse to come out from under my blankets and I have a crucifix up my ass. I scream "the power of christ compells you" anytime the phone rings and shower with the shower curtain on the floor. decent movie i spose

It's a true story, ghosts are real, I saw it on TV and in school during their presentations on ghosts.

The Lindley street one was even on the news and had the cops involved.

Until you experience something like this first hand, it is easy to dismiss claims as fake or imaginary.

the_data_so_far.jpg
Nope. No one's better at fooling us than ourselves.

Last edited:
Until you experience something like this first hand, it is easy to dismiss claims as fake or imaginary.
If that's the case then it will always be easy to dismiss because something like this has never happened and never will. I hope you are not suggesting that you personally experienced something like this.

If that's the case then it will always be easy to dismiss because something like this has never happened and never will. I hope you are not suggesting that you personally experienced something like this.

We're all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. I haven't seen the movie but I'm sure it was over dramatized and sensationalized for the Hollywood screen. I've never gone through anything like that but I do have my own personal experience from when I was a bit younger that caused me to have an open mind and made me a believer in ghosts and the afterlife.

The Warrens claimed to have exorcised a werewolf back in 1983. Yeah.

3u1dyq.jpg

Last edited:
You know now that this thread is sorta headed this direction I will say this, from before i can remember until i was 13 my dad moved us around the Midwest a lot for work. We moved to Troy Illinois for one year and lived in a normal house on a culdesac, probably built in the 60's I'd guess, and that house had something going on with it. I'd hear loud crashes at night, always felt like I was being watched, there were extremely warm or cold "spots" , something was just not right. Did I ever see anything, no. Do I believe in ghosts, you know I'm not sure but I won't dismiss the idea. At the time I never discussed this with my parents as I figured I was a 12 year old kid that my parents and brothers would laugh at. Fast forward many years, maybe 2010/2011 and we were sitting down at a family thanksgiving joking about old times growing up and I mentioned how I felt about that house and both my older brothers were both saying "I felt the same way, that house was not right and something was there", my mom said she would hear kids whispering downstairs and come check on us and we would all be in bed asleep. I asked my dad why did we move after just one year as I assumed it was his work as usuall at the time and he said " I just never was comfortable there, it wasn't our home" and that's pretty much all he said about it.

Anyway, all I'm saying is I didn't "see" anything at all, it was more of a feeling, and I wouldn't judge or dismiss some of the claims I've heard, just sayin

Last edited:
Of the 1,000 adults interviewed Dec. 17-18, the HuffPost/YouGov poll revealed 45 percent believe in ghosts, or that the spirits of dead people can come back in certain places and situations. When asked if they believe there's a life after death, 64 percent responded yes

Polls know

This on was the best growing up, includes police reports :)

There is another case from Connecticut that was far more well known than the 2009 "A Haunting in Connecticut" film based on the true story.

It all started on Sunday, November 24, 1974, when Gerald Goodin, a 56 year old blue collar worker, and his wife Laura, a high strung and devout Roman Catholic, also middle aged, called police to their home to help them with what they believed was an evil presence, knocking things around and making a complete mess of the place.

It went out as an unknown help call. Police responded. Local reporters later were in touch with those involved, and stories immediately began showing up in the local newspaper, the Telegram, and on the local AM radio station, WNAB. Almost instantly, a floodgate of media interest came from across the Us and Canada - Gerald Goodin was French Canadian.

Soon, traffic was tied up for blocks, police had to cordon off the street, and even arrested some gawkers who refused to leave. Media around the world wanted to know about Bridgeport’s “demons.”

Ed and Lorraine Warren, the best know paranormal researchers of their time, were working the case. They told reporters they believed the disturbances were centered around 10 year old Marcia Goodin, a native girl from Canada who had been adopted by the Goodins a couple of years earlier, after the illness related death of their 7 year old son.

The family had not experienced any problems until December 1973, when Marcia was 9 years old. Marcia had been home six weeks from school from a back injury suffered at the hands of a boy who beat her due to her native heritage. She was wearing a back brace when the Warrens became involved.

"It was something inhuman", Ed Warren told reporters. "As far as we are concerned, there were evil spirits in that house".

John Gleason, Fire Chief at the time, said his men had seen dinner plates rattling, pictures jumping off the wall, a television set falling over, and a heavy leather chair jumping at least six inches off the floor. A 22 page report prepared a year later by a seminary student who performed the rituals of exorcism at the house quoted Bridgeport police records as saying officers witnessed the refrigerator rise about six inches off the floor, a 21 inch portable television set rise off a table and turn around, as well as objects on shelves vibrate and crash onto the floor.

A lounge chair Marcia was sitting in moved rapidly backwards and overturned. A plastic crucifix exploded from a wall in front of witnesses. A cat sang jingle bells in a frightening inhuman voice. Continual pounding noises on the walls were nerve wracking. Demons were thought to be behind the activity.

Furniture was being thrown, family members injured, even the family cat was speaking ethnic slurs. “Things were flying around in the front room when we went in there.” Gerald Goodin told a radio station, describing events of Sunday, November 24, 1974. “Whatever it was, it was acting like a demented person and I felt I had to get my family out of the house.”

Young Marcia was also described as a deceitful girl with an unhealthy interest in the occult. Researchers noted years later, that the events began shortly after the release of The Exorcist, which excited the public imagination with its tale of a demonically possessed girl. This was long before the advent of the internet and knowledge of the paranormal was readily available to anyone.

The Lindley Street case has faded from memory, but in paranormal research circles it remains on of the most documented poltergeist cases in history. One of the police officers has spoken recently on the event, but did not want an extended interview as he stated he was trying to forget it, and put it behind him.

"I saw the refrigerator move. I know what I saw," he said. "A little girl did not do that. Could not do that". Reporter Tim Quinn recalled a strange, eerie experience, underscored by something a firefighter said to him. “People shouldn’t be afraid of this,” Quinn said the firefighter told him, “because if there is a devil, then that means there must be a God, and there must be an afterlife.”

"Elvis lives!"

The human capacity for self-delusion shouldn't surprise us because we're hardwired for it. As a species it's only been the last four or five hundred years that we've come to realize this and start to understand our natural biases in how we perceive things. That's the beauty of the scientific method and conducting double-blind experiments, for example - they intentionally mitigate our intentional and unintentional biases and more reliably reveal the truth, no matter how uncomfortable that can make us feel. Eyewitness evidence is one of the least reliable types and this is why it's only used in a court of law as supporting evidence. Physical evidence is king and always will be; that's the number one thing missing in all of the supernatural and UFO claims. My physics background leads me to take it a step further, asking things like "how does a goes manifest in the Standard Model of Particle Physics?"

It amazes me that grown men still believe in ghosts and fairy tails. It also amazes me that there is zero proof of this type of thing and people still believe it. Believing in ghosts doesn't require an open mind. It requires a feeble mind.
All that aside the movie was actually interesting in a fictional sort of way. It wasn't as good as Mama though.

Last edited:
A cat sang jingle bells in a frightening inhuman voice.

Furniture was being thrown, family members injured, even the family cat was speaking ethnic slurs.

This is all I can seem to take away from the story. It's some of the funniest shit I've heard in years.

Sure, it was November, but was the cat drunk on eggnog, or something else? The holidays are a sad time for some, but even worse for the pets because some of them are dressed up in holiday pet stuff.

Drunken cat singing jingle bells, yelling off the occasional racist rant, while wearing a pilgrim hat....

(I'm not involving myself in the whole "ghosts vs. non-ghosts" debate, that little bit of the story is what I'm talking about)

Last edited:
Well, let me put it to you this way: I'm not convinced. That's my opinion on the subject of ghosts, UFOs and the supernatural in general based on what I know of science and particularly particle physics. You may have different reasons and normally in a debate the side with the best evidence wins. But this is a gun forum and this is the internet. I'm not about to try to win the internet today. ;)

It's ok if you are scared, you can just say, that you try to deny it in order to hide your fear. Like a small child hiding under a blanket, if you can't see them, they can't see you... I get it. :)

Sarcasm, jokes and personal beliefs aside. The paranormal/horror genre is extremely popular right now and there is money to be made. Where there is money to be made...

Who is the winner in this topic? Everyone, even those who just read it.

kitty-pilgrim-orange.jpg

dog and kusa, do you consider yourselves religous men? not getting into religion just a question

In the classical sense, no, and for many of the same reasons I find the evidence for ghosts, UFOs and the supernatural unconvincing. Sure, anything is possible, but is it probable? Not likely from what I can tell. Of course, give me sufficient evidence and I'll change my mind.

Crap!!! And I was spending all this cash on preparing for a Zombie invasion?!!!!!

I understand where you're coming from D-Town and I respect your opinion. I'm not looking to change anyone's perspective. I know what I witnessed and that is good enough for me. Anyone that knows me wouldn't call me "feeble minded".

Even the smartest people in the world can be fooled - no one is immune to it, especially cognitive biases. The thing is that most people aren't even aware of them in the first place. We are highly evolved pattern seekers who often connect dots that aren't really there in the first place. That's why people still go to mediums and psychics and attend Benny Hinn miracle crusades. I just think the germ theory is a better way to explain sickness than demonic possession ;)

Every time I come home from work I swear I her the back door close . Also a strange scent of burning hair. I ask my wife but she doesn't ever here it or smell the strange smell I do. It may be a ghost, I don't know?

"I can't explain something...therefore I can explain it."

In the classical sense, no, and for many of the same reasons I find the evidence for ghosts, UFOs and the supernatural unconvincing. Sure, anything is possible, but is it probable? Not likely from what I can tell. Of course, give me sufficient evidence and I'll change my mind.

I asked because I find it hypicritcal to be religous and be against the idea of "ghosts" or "spirits". I too appreciate your opinion and respect that. I myself am not saying there are supernatural events at play, I'm just saying from my experience I'm not saying that there isn't at this time.

side note however, you keep throwing UFO's in the same sentence, two totally different subjects, it implies you believe if someone was to believe in poltergeists than they too would believe in UFO's

I asked because I find it hypicritcal to be religous and be against the idea of "ghosts" or "spirits". I too appreciate your opinion and respect that. I myself am not saying there are supernatural events at play, I'm just saying from my experience I'm not saying that there isn't at this time.

side note however, you keep throwing UFO's in the same sentence, two totally different subjects, it implies you believe if someone was to believe in poltergeists than they too would believe in UFO's

I throw UFOs into the mix because there are similarities in the way people believe they are real as well. As with the supernatural, you get lots of eyewitness reports and claims, blurry photos and video but no physical evidence. I'm sure there are plenty of people who believe in angels and demons, but not UFOs and the other way around, but the psychological process involved are very similar and from a scientific standpoint both are fringe studies at best, crackpot at worst.

I wouldn't say it isn't "interested" in the supernatural, we're just well past the point of taking supernatural claims seriously. They are the same claims that were made for centuries, since the dawn of human civilization, but we've just come to develop and hone a process to test these claims about the universe with an excellent track record of success. That's science. Still, that isn't going to stop people from claiming they can find water with dowsing rods or that they are clairvoyant. It's just that scientific investigations into those claims always seem lead to results that remarkably look the same as if the person were just guessing. Looking back a century or more, is it any surprise that a scientifically ignorant population would actually believe an illusionist was teleporting with a puff of smoke, making an elephant disappear or sawing a woman in two?

dog and kusa, do you consider yourselves religous men? not getting into religion just a question

I believe that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. This applies to all things.

I believe in God, and his son Jesus Christ. There's a Holy Ghost, so there's probably unholy ghosts. I leave in the dark, on foot, and come back in the dark, on foot, wearing a pistol, a headlamp, and carrying a rifle. That being said, I swore off horror films years ago. It's hard to be stealthy when you smell like urine and feces, and you're sprinting wearing 60 pounds extra, and screaming like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman at a mountain lion,
giant hog, or ghost that probably isn't really there.

Y'all enjoy the horror flicks without this cowboy. I'll watch cartoons with my four year old daughter instead.

There, fixed it for ya ;) Proof is for mathematics and alcohol.

You are correct sir. Evidence is what we need. I would like to see at the very least some mediocre evidence on the supernatural. Until then I'll keep sniffing around for a whiff of a unicorn fart.

Ghosts will get you which is why D-Town and KUSA are so scared

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x3g1th"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3g1th_ghost-hunters-new-bedford-armory-pa_news" target="_blank">Ghost Hunters New Bedford Armory part 3</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/algizdk" target="_blank">algizdk</a></i>

The ghosts will beat you like a redheaded step child...

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x3g22o"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3g22o_ghost-hunters-new-bedford-armory-pa_news" target="_blank">Ghost Hunters New Bedford Armory part 4</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/algizdk" target="_blank">algizdk</a></i>

Here is the ghost in the lighthouse

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x8k3tr"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8k3tr_ghost-hunters-st-augustine-lighthou_sport" target="_blank">Ghost Hunters - St. Augustine Lighthouse Part 5...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/BuddyWatson" target="_blank">BuddyWatson</a></i>

It's sad that channels that were initially rooted in science such as Discovery Channel and National Geographic channel, have devolved into ghost hunting, UFOs and finding Bigfoot. But that's what people want apparently and the market goes where the money is.

Ya, cause we would never find anything that science says doesn't exist ...

coelacanth_501_600x450.jpg

Coelacanths, Coelacanth Pictures, Coelacanth Facts - National Geographic

The primitive-looking coelacanth (pronounced SEEL-uh-kanth) was thought to have gone efxtinct with the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. But its discovery in 1938 by a South African museum curator on a local fishing trawler fascinated the world and ignited a debate about how this bizarre lobe-finned fish fits into the evolution of land animals.

To add to what LL posted above, wasn't it just recently (like a year or two ago) that hard evidence was obtained proving the existence of Architeuthis aka the giant squid? Cryptozoology is constantly finding evidence of species that science swore didn't exist or became extinct.

Just because scientists have yet to prove it or find evidence doesn't mean that the possibility isn't there. Scientists aren't perfect either. :D