• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The departure from "just another action company" ARC's new rifle:

I was hoping for a lapua length Archamedies.

Will LOP spacers be available for the Xylo for those of us who need an extra inch or two?

Knowing the man personally, I would say this is a big no. The Barloc was born from the market demand of folks wanting to swap barrels with as little effort as possible. That's it. Over the last few years, the Barloc has been shown to come with some baggage in certain instances. If every manufacturer in existence got everything "right" the first go around, then Henry Ford, the Dodge Brothers, and Bill Gates would also be gimmick peddlers as well.

Implying that there was some sort of nefarious intent is a bit of a slap and there's no reason for it. Ted is not a fink.

Wanna really solve this? How bout we all just "man up" and buy the right tools so that a direct fit barrel can be removed/installed the way it has been proven to work for centuries.

I offer this:

IF you are a "gun nut" then this shit is in your blood and you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. Who buys one fishing pole and one hook? Acquiring a collection of "gun stuff" is part of the whole gig, so why not just squirrel a few dollars away and buy the right shit from the start?

Typing after a 24 hour shift, I never meant to state that there was nefarious intent. What a company does after a product has some baggage matters to me but I don't think Ted will resolve the issue. You are right, lesson learned with direct fit barrels and Barloc, learning lessons out of your pocket sucks. Everyone can be skeptical of my claims but I can repeat the POI shift and Ted states that it's possible.

Honest question here, because I think definitions are important, how is this group defining "whacking their barrels?"

I dont baby my shit, but i try to take precautions where I can. I've definitely dinged my barloc setup (shouldered barrel) a few times exiting a door or entering a room, and haven't noticed a POI shift. Layer on the car rides to the range where shit moves and there is probably more opportunity to fuck with it.

Is that what people are considering whacking their barrels? Or is it more swinging the rifle as hard as you can into a barrier (wood or metal), or dropping it from your 3rd floor to the ground?

Someone somewhere (I don’t want to misquote anyone) tested it out. Took a fairly good whack with a deadblow to notice an appreciable change WITH A PROPERLY INSTALLED BARLOC. I have the savage version and never had a problem with shift.

Reactions: chrome
So Ted sells a gimmick and everyone is ok with that? I had no idea and it sucks to learn that now.

Dude, calm down.

The thing was like $50 as a pre-order.

It's not a gimmick. It's just not as dead reliable as a torqued shouldered barrel. I have two of them and have never had a zero issue. It sounds like (from your description) you're having an issue with your first round not going into the group with your next four shots. That's not necessarily attributable to the Bar-Loc. There's a lot of reasons that could happen. Some of them are shooter induced.

If you don't like it, get a barrel nut from Northland and sell the Bar-Loc on the PX. It will sell.

Pretty simple solution to your obvious heart burn.

Where I get hung up is the aesthetics.

That's hardly radical..,........

1579744790052.png

That's hardly radical..,........

View attachment 7231801

FWIW, I know Kurt Grunig and LRI is the only (far as I know) authorized service center in the US. Doesn't mean much as there's likely less than 10 of em in the country, but whatever. I used to tinker on these quite a bit years ago.

Cool shit.

Oh no! If it ain’t pretty on Instagram, I don’t want it.

I don't want to get caught up in this battle of form vs. function, but I think most people on these forums understand the two are NOT mutually exclusive. I have yet to buy anything "precision rifle" related where I had to sacrifice form/aesthetics in order to get a high-quality/functional item.

So it really comes down to personal preference. If you like the look of the chassis/rifle, and it meets your function requirements, then that's awesome - buy it. But you can't bash someone for saying "eh it doesn't look good, I'm not interested". That's their choice as a consumer, and honestly there are so many other options out there, that they don't have to sacrifice form for function.

Reactions: BeAccurate
I still hate looking at the tactical lampshade but i sure like using it.

Place a rubber cap on the barrel, you've got a High dollar Crutch ... Looks aren't everything that being said I bet it's a shooter.

I'm not exactly a fan of the looks, but I've seen much uglier rifles out there.

I'm going to make a matching walnut cheek piece for mine. The butt needs more wood. The forend does not.

I think it is going to look better with a nice scope on it and a long straight taper barrel rather than a hunting profile.

I think the bipod kind of spoils the lines. I see this more as a modern interpretation of a "Kentucky Long Rifle".

There is beauty in there, kind of in the same way as there is beauty in an AK when it's an AMD 63.

Reactions: Steel head
This thread started out with promise of ARC awesomeness and diverged quickly away from the main intent, any updates on the complete setup Pictured?

I was hoping to see videos of Ted and the ARC booth at SHOT.

I guess there is no pre-order this year unless it's the rifle above and they haven't said anything about that.

I was hoping to see videos of Ted and the ARC booth at SHOT.

I guess there is no pre-order this year unless it's the rifle above and they haven't said anything about that.
Same.

I’m really curious to what he dreams up next.

Knowing the man personally, I would say this is a big no. The Barloc was born from the market demand of folks wanting to swap barrels with as little effort as possible. That's it. Over the last few years, the Barloc has been shown to come with some baggage in certain instances. If every manufacturer in existence got everything "right" the first go around, then Henry Ford, the Dodge Brothers, and Bill Gates would also be gimmick peddlers as well.

Implying that there was some sort of nefarious intent is a bit of a slap and there's no reason for it. Ted is not a fink.

Wanna really solve this? How bout we all just "man up" and buy the right tools so that a direct fit barrel can be removed/installed the way it has been proven to work for centuries.

I offer this:

IF you are a "gun nut" then this shit is in your blood and you'll be doing it for the rest of your life. Who buys one fishing pole and one hook? Acquiring a collection of "gun stuff" is part of the whole gig, so why not just squirrel a few dollars away and buy the right shit from the start?
I couldn’t agree more. Every type of firearm that I own and intend to use , I own tools to work on it. If I don’t have the tools or knowledge I know someone who does. Honestly this quick change shit is overrated. With some simple tools any common bolt action is a switch barrel.

I think he should dust off the 2019 SHOT show Mausingfield and see if he can make it in to a budget two lug CRF action at the Nucleus price point. Add a big Magnum Archimedes that abandons the Remington 700 footprint. Add more flavors of Xylo chassis but try to bring the price back to $1,000 or less and I showed him an idea for a trigger that he seemed to like.

If he did that, I think his product lineup would address most people's wants with a quality product.

I think ARC could do that over the next few years if they see the value in optimizing their product lineup instead of focusing only on individual products.

I don't whack my barrel but I've noticed when I transport my rifle to ranges, my first shot would be off at 100 while the rest of the groups would be touching. I always attested it to me being the cold shooter. I actually bought the nucleus because of the Barloc but I wasn't informed that poi shifts were ok by Ted. I feel cheated, lesson learned.
This is a joke, right ??

I think he should dust off the 2019 SHOT show Mausingfield and see if he can make it in to a budget two lug CRF action at the Nucleus price point. Add a big Magnum Archimedes that abandons the Remington 700 footprint. Add more flavors of Xylo chassis but try to bring the price back to $1,000 or less and I showed him an idea for a trigger that he seemed to like.

If he did that, I think his product lineup would address most people's wants with a quality product.

I think ARC could do that over the next few years if they see the value in optimizing their product lineup instead of focusing only on individual products.

Mausingfield should revert back to the M5 version, as that was pretty much perfection IMO

Reactions: jmw and Steel head
It's not about Sniper's Hide, it's common sense.

Everyone buying a custom rifle should already understand what cold bore shots do.

Now I guess some people order a custom rifle like it's Chinese takeout and have a fit when they find out soy sauce contains sodium.

Mausingfield should revert back to the M5 version, as that was pretty much perfection IMO
My point is on the budget side they should have two and three lug options at $1,000 or less.

For a flagship, Archimedes and a high end flavor of Mausingfield (I don't know which flavor).

For boomers, an Archimedes Magnum.

It seems like the forces driving the Mausingfield are $$$ light weight mountain rifle customers. Would they be ok with an M5?

I don't think ARC can make a whole bunch of different Mausingfield flavors, they need to have good market coverage instead of trying to make everyone's individual idea of perfection.

Also, I would say that 2019 Shot Mausingfield looked nice to me except for the price.

Last edited:
My point is on the budget side they should have two and three lug options at $1,000 or less.

For a flagship, Archimedes and a high end flavor of Mausingfield (I don't know which flavor).

For boomers, an Archimedes Magnum.

It seems like the forces driving the Mausingfield are $$$ light weight mountain rifle customers. Would they be ok with an M5?

I was a bit surprised that he changed the mausingfield.
I had no idea of their popularity for high end hunting builds.

a budget two lug would be cool.

Yeah I personally don't understand the evolution of the Mausingfield, and I also don't understand why it's not a more popular option with PRS/NRL type shooters.

It's a really feature rich and high quality action that functions great.

Perhaps it's a marketing thing, I dunno.

Reactions: rydah
I really don't know about the popularity but the direct mount titanium rings make it seem that way.

I really don't know about the popularity but the direct mount titanium rings make it seem that way.
I’m sure the people buying the majority of them swayed his decision.

I’d really like to pick up an M5 someday.
Until them I’ll just suffer with my Nuke like the rest of the plebs.

Hard to make a call one way or the other on a Nucleus vs. M5 MF. I think the Nuke might actually be better suited for PRS style events. My M5 (s/n 29) has 10k+ rounds through it now and it's so smooth & wore in it's retarded. I have a pair of Danner RAT's that I got issued on deployment when I was in the USMC and I've worn them to death. I refer to them as heavy slippers because they fit so well and that's kind of the same sentiment I have for my M5 now. That all said, the Nuke has a sharper 'pop' to it, more distinct clicks when operating the bolt, but it's damn fast and slick.

To be honest, and this is entirely selfish, I was excited to see the changes to the M7 because I'm looking to build a L/A hunting rifle, and the only thing that could make it better would be direct-attach aluminum rings that aren't Ti priced.

Hard to make a call one way or the other on a Nucleus vs. M5 MF. I think the Nuke might actually be better suited for PRS style events. My M5 (s/n 29) has 10k+ rounds through it now and it's so smooth & wore in it's retarded. I have a pair of Danner RAT's that I got issued on deployment when I was in the USMC and I've worn them to death. I refer to them as heavy slippers because they fit so well and that's kind of the same sentiment I have for my M5 now. That all said, the Nuke has a sharper 'pop' to it, more distinct clicks when operating the bolt, but it's damn fast and slick.

To be honest, and this is entirely selfish, I was excited to see the changes to the M7 because I'm looking to build a L/A hunting rifle, and the only thing that could make it better would be direct-attach aluminum rings that aren't Ti priced.

I have two pairs of Danner super rain forests like that.
So comfy now.

A lighter direct mount M-10 would be cool!

Reactions: Ledzep
Lol
My nuke running 7 saum is running like a top.
I love that rifle.
It made me a total ARC fanboy.

I've been doing a lot of mental gymnastics trying to convince myself that selling my T3 CTR and putting together another Nuke build for twice the cost is a fiscally responsible thing to do despite a possible move across the country in the near future. Sometimes I wish the responsible adult side of my brain would simmer down long enough for me to enter my credit card information. :sneaky:

• Haha
I've been doing a lot of mental gymnastics trying to convince myself that selling my T3 CTR and putting together another Nuke build for twice the cost is a fiscally responsible thing to do despite a possible move across the country in the near future. Sometimes I wish the responsible adult side of my brain would simmer down long enough for me to enter my credit card information. :sneaky:

similar problem with my Savage.

Reactions: Northernjets
similar problem with my Savage.

Do it. I sold all my bolt actions, and an awesome tricked out Savage was the last one to go with multiple bolts, chassis and stocks. Only thing I wish were different would be having the tooless Nuke bolt.

I like having better guns than lots of guns.

I have a single digit SN Nucleus I love, an Archimedes and a second Nuke I picked up. Both Nuke are original, only the bolt heads and springs are changed.

Reactions: stanley_white
Do it. I sold all my bolt actions, and an awesome tricked out Savage was the last one to go with multiple bolts, chassis and stocks. Only thing I wish were different would be having the tooless Nuke bolt.

I like having better guns than lots of guns.

I have a single digit SN Nucleus I love, an Archimedes and a second Nuke I picked up. Both Nuke are original, only the bolt heads and springs are changed.

How do you find the Arch vs the Nuke? Worth the cost difference?

How do you find the Arch vs the Nuke? Worth the cost difference?
The Archimedes has some high end features that the Nucleus does not. The integrated recoil lug is expensive to add because you have to start with a much bigger piece of steel and machine more of it away. Beside that, the way the Archimedes does primary extraction seems perfect if you are pushing the pressure limits of your brass.

Archimedes seems ideal for something like a 338 RUM, 300 PRC or a 28 Nosler. A short action is probably ideal for a SAUM, WSM or another fat case wildcat.

A Nucleus seems good for everything that isn't pushing too hard. The price difference between a 1.1 and an Archimedes is $600 so I think the Archimedes is a value for people who really want an integrated recoil lug or they are shooting something hot enough to worry about sticky bolts.

When I bought my Archimedes, it was pre-order price and a Nucleus 1.0 was $1,000 so my premium was $120 which isn't much (and I wasn't expecting the integrated recoil lug).

Combined with my Xylo pre-order, I'm saving $780. If I needed another, I could almost buy a Nucleus 1.1 with the money I have saved.

Reactions: Northernjets
The Archimedes has some high end features that the Nucleus does not. The integrated recoil lug is expensive to add because you have to start with a much bigger piece of steel and machine more of it away. Beside that, the way the Archimedes does primary extraction seems perfect if you are pushing the pressure limits of your brass.

Archimedes seems ideal for something like a 338 RUM, 300 PRC or a 28 Nosler. A short action is probably ideal for a SAUM, WSM or another fat case wildcat.

A Nucleus seems good for everything that isn't pushing too hard. The price difference between a 1.1 and an Archimedes is $600 so I think the Archimedes is a value for people who really want an integrated recoil lug or they are shooting something hot enough to worry about sticky bolts.

When I bought my Archimedes, it was pre-order price and a Nucleus 1.0 was $1,000 so my premium was $120 which isn't much (and I wasn't expecting the integrated recoil lug).

Combined with my Xylo pre-order, I'm saving $780. If I needed another, I could almost buy a Nucleus 1.1 with the money I have saved.

Thanks for your first hand insight. Kind of the same thought process I had when comparing the two actions on paper. The Nucleus 1.1 price is pretty awesome. I'd be all over it if I was living down south.