• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes The Disappearing Reticle...

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
For the longest time I thought it was just my eyes, and I was diagnosed with astigmatisms in both eyes. But with corrective lenses, theres still no improvement and others have said they notice the same thing.

I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12, had it about 2 years. Always hated to send it in because that would leave me not shooting, so I would tough it out. At full power my scope would almost got transparent, or it would be near impossible at times to focus.

But when you would start to go down to 11, 10, 9, it would become more clear, bolder and thicker lines but get smaller like a ffp should.

If you went back up to 12x same problem. Quick focus in the rear and parallax never helped it.

Im currently getting it rebarreled to a new caliber so I have time to send it off, which they said they would fix or replace for nothing, but has anyone experienced this?

My bushnell 3-12 mildot does the same exact thing. I have moved it to my 22 because I don't want to get rid of it but I can't stand what it does on 12x. I think we may have even discussed this in another thread some time ago? FWIW I also have a slight astigmatism and wear contact lenses.

If you send yours in and they find something wrong please post the results if you would.

ETA: I have noticed that if I am perfectly in line with the scope the problem goes away. If I move my head off center is when it disappears. This is mainly why I moved it to my 22.

Last edited:
OP, You stated two things that could impact your reticle issue - astigmatism, and using what Bushnell refers to as "fast focus". You say the astigmatism is corrected, which leaves the reticle. Try focusing the reticle correctly using "fast focus". There are several processes used. Some folks say use a blank sheet of paper or a wall. The problem with a finite target is the eye will attempt to focus on that background. The one that makes the most sense is using an infinite focal point - the empty sky. Ensure it is cloudless, as again, the eye will attempt on the background. Set scope mid power range and parallex infinite. Repeatedly shoulder your rifle glancing at the reticle and adjust as necessary. Do not look through the scope for more than 1-2 seconds, or the eye will attempt to focus on the reticle. Repeat this process until the the reticle is sharp and black across the power and parallex range.

Others may disagree regarding the blank paper or wall, but after trying the "clear blue sky", I've never had another problem with reticle focus. That is, until somone changes it thinking they are focusing the scope, instead of using the parallex.

BTW, I have astigmatism corrected with gas-perm contacts and one of these specific scopes - this process works.

I will do this Thursday to see if there is any improvement. I will report back if there is any change. But I look through Ss10x's, nightforces, schmidts, and never have this problem...