• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report The effects of side to side cant - field test/pics

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your data with us. I did not realize that there would be suck a shift in impact. I knew there would be a shift but not that much at 600 yards.

Thanks,
Slope

Would it be possable the scope itself is ever so slightly out of level. This would explain the 2.2" differance in spread between the left and right cant. Not saying it is but that could be a factor causing the difference. That small amount of a scope being out of level could be thought of as a light wind when normaly shooting.

Didnt know this was still up.

The reason for the dispersion in the two canted groups is because the scopes parallax was defective. I realized a few weeks after this test that the scopes parallax and focus were not in sync, and i don't recall for sure but i think the parallax couldnt quite be adjusted out? Combine that with improper cheek weld in a poor position and voila. I sent it to paul and had it back in a week fixed perfectly.

It's because your zero is set at 100 yards.

Set your zero range for 1000 yards and you'll see much more horizontal deflection.

This can be tricky.

Remember the effect of cant comes from the fact that a portion of your dialed elevation is converted to 'windage'. If you have a 100 yard zero, there is very little elevation dialed, so the effect of cant is minimal.

However if you're elevation zero is set at 1000 yards, there's lots of elevation dialed on, and a slight tilt will put quite a bit of error in the windage plane.

-Bryan

But this only applies to the argument. You're not assuming people use a 1000 yard zero. But for the sake of argument if you have a 100 yard zero wouldn't you get the same general windage error doping out to a 1000 yard target? I guess I need to play with JBM. I'm just too visual. My first thought at the results of the target was the groups are not homogeneous. Then I concluded it is immaterial considering the center of the canted groups are the point of his experiment.