• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The end of my Sniper career...

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
Well it had to happen eventually. After being fortunate enough to have gotten selected and been a Sniper for the last 3 years it's all over. In the army we have have a shelf life unlike the Marines. You get to come in, do your time, go to school, maybe do a few deployments and then it's "Well you gotta go, career progression and all". I knew this day would come and after 3 years and 2 deployments in the section it's been a great ride. Now it's back to a regular Infantry platoon and the more I think about it the more I'm not looking forward to it. It's back to the bullshit, the guys you have to watch out for and the ones that just waste fucking air. So I guess it's just time to get out. Here's my question. What the hell do the rest of you do? I don't have any college or special skill. I came in as an infantryman and did the Sniper thing for a little while now I have under a year left. I'll be getting out with a little over 6 years in. The idea of being a cop isn't thrilling but I'm thinking that might be my only choice....

Re: The end of my Sniper career...

Not your ONLY choice, but one that will allow you to use your skillset while gaining the adoration and respect of the public in general.

First off I want to say Thank You for your service.

Second, I want to ask you - what do you love to do? Whats your passion. Ponder it a lil.

I know a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do, but just remember you only live once. If ya gots to work, it might as well be something you enjoy. Do what you love and the money will follow. It might take some time, but ask yourself - are you worth it? Hell ya!

Start taking classes that will help open more doors for you. If LE is a path you pursue, getting your feet wet with some Criminal Justice prerequisites will get you on track. Depending on your location it may help more than not taking anything. Take advantage of the Education Befefits available to you, seriously.

Why not go to SFAS and see if you can hack it or put in for Ranger school and try to get to Batt after you pass?

Good luck in whatever you do, but if you love the Army and can stay in theres no reason not to.

Your not alone on this one. I felt the same thing after my last deployment and wasnt sure where i would fit in. I'm now a sniper on a SWAT team and love it. I have actualy been sent through more schools now than when i was in the military. Kinda hard to fill out a work resume with the skills we have unless your looking for contract work or just want to see their facial reactions when they read it.Good luck and dont stress, the hard parts over.

In two years you have changed and grown older. Things have also changed in the army. Take advantage of the skills you have recently acquired and go to a rifle platoon and learn/teach new things. You don't want to go? How do you know till you try it?
Man I would give anything to be back in a rifle platoon! (sixty years old and I've been out for over thirty years.) You will get out of it what you put into it!! Lots of young riflemen in that platoon that would give anything to learn from you!!
Then please get back with us in six months or a year and give us a AAR.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

Thanks for the input guys. As far as the school thing goes we'll see but I'm married and not sure how if school and supporting the both of us would work out. I thought long and hard about the SFAS thing but bottom line I've been married a little over 3 years and home for 1 of them. She needs me home and I'm burnt out on this 1 year here 1 year there shit anyway. The SF training is over a year and a half alone. I'd love to but I need to start thinking about my wife and not the army for once.

Short-term inconvenience of school pays long-term dividends. If your interests take you there, think about it. We scraped by for a few years while I finished an unplanned extra degree but it was well worth it in the end.

You're young enough to reenlist in the USMC...lots of guys have done time in different branches...

Yeah I went and talked to the USMC. Long story short no deal. They're dropping me from E-5 to E-3 with no promises of letting me do what I want. Sad thing is I would take the huge pay and rank decrease just to keep doing the sniper deal. The recruiter basically told me to get lost.

You are at a crossroads many have come to. I empathize with your family situation. I did six years in the USMC, got out worked in law enforcement, went back into the USA to fly helos for the next seventeen years. Point is, you don't know what lies ahead. This can be an exciting time for you. Self evaluate your skill sets and interests. Dig around this website, THOROUGHLY. This is where I started my post military career. Lotsa info here. Give us a SITREP as you move along your path.

http://www.military.com/

First, smack yourself silly for cryin like a lil bitch. Good, now that is out of the way look at what you know.
Surveillance for insurance company's, PI's, etc is decent bucks from what I hear. Look for a 'Due Dilligence' company for your skill set. Shooting is shooting, but the rest, the scouting part, the observer part, there are always jobs for that if you look at the right companys.
You are up for re-up. Look for a different MOS, get out of the 11B stuff if that's what you need to do. If you are totally burned out on Army, use your post 911, and Monty GI bills to go learn a new trade. Shoot, you could go all the way and do a complete 180, and take a few liberal arts classes and become a community organizer or something
grin.gif

There are online classes you can take while on Active Duty and even after you separate. You don't actually have to "attend" classes these days as more schools are recognizing that people are in situations and circumstances that are prohibitive of the conventional regimen of the past. Touch base with your education center for more info on what is out there and available to you in the realm of education. Your career options are yours to choose. It's best to make an informed choice so gather as much information as you can before deciding anything. Good Luck and please, update when appropriate.

Ever heard of the natioal guard. A bit differant then the regular army as its easier to plan your own goals.

I got interested in sniping after I thought there had to be a better way. In SE Asia my unit didnt have snipers, I was taske with the counter sniping activity with an M-60. Later I joined the national guard so desided to wrangle my own sniper career. Flimflamed them into sending me to sniper school (the USAMU had the only one I knew of). I was an E-7 at the time. Great plan.........until they sent me to OCS. Not many Sniper Slots in the Officer Corp, even in the NG. I didnt let it stop me. I started the sniper programs for the AK ARNG, running sniper schools at Ft Richardson, for the NG, Reg Army and Civilian LE.

I was also a cop and carried my rifle as a LE sniper prior to our gettting a swat (we called them CRT) team. I did the orginal rifle instructor for our CRT team. I wouldnt take a slot because I would have to give up my EOD slot. Even with the crt I was told to keep my rifle so I carried it until I retired.

If you want to stay in the game, just do it, there is always a way if you're willing to work at it. All it takes is a bit of salemanship and the ability to bull sh!t the powers to be.

Congress gave you the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If you're getting out, you'd be insane not to use it. Four years of in-state tuition, plus books and E-5 BAH. Put a four year degree on top of your military experience, and that's a killer combo. I've got a couple young soldiers on my team that are going that route. Shoot me a PM and I'll pass along the information I've given them.

Get out, be brave, as you already are. Don't fall into the "I have to go back in, it's all I know" bullshit. Use your post 9/11 GI BILL, get the education you deserve. While doing it, stay in the NG/Reserve, and continue your career...however, be ready to deal with many a pogue. However, it's not that bad. Move on, do your thing, you have the strength and seem like you know where you want to be. Like every Soldier that get's out.....just remember to balance what you liked, versus what you couldn't stand. Let those emotions fuel your fire.

Bro, like some of the others here, after I got out my new bride and I kept the work ethic going. We both worked and I went to school at night a bunch of years to make it work & got my Aerospace Engineering degree. Now I dope the trajectory for the Space Station at NASA.

Make a short list of what turns you on and then go check it out and talk to the folks who do that gig and pick a couple to start. I started in Accounting because the math was easy (partying and girls had my interest more in high school than classes) but WANTED engineering, so on the side I also went to community college at night and re-started math classes to prove to myself I could do it. Fuck me I could do Calculus and Differential Equations.

Go for it bro, life is way too short to do something that you do not enjoy (and reserves or NG keeps you in the ACU).

turn to the dark side.... become a dirty contractor..haha.. companies always looking for a good ddm... just dont be like the majority of em that i have had the unfortunate pleasure of working with...living paycheck to paycheck.. get in, make your cash, save your money, do online college.. make as many connections as ya can.. dont be a douche bag and doors will open...

rogue308,

Go to the school house teach some, get some collage knocked out. Wile there sign up for all the basic U.S. Army schools they teach there.

CLS Instructor, Small Arms Master Gunner, Airborne / Jumpmaster and so on.

The god news is, at Ft Benning it's a 9-5 gig most of the time and you pass on what you know to the new Snipers.

Just an idea.

John

You've got 6 in. I've got a little over 4 in.

I'm about to graduate. I've yet to find a better contract than I can get by becoming an officer in the USAF. Don't get me wrong, but who will beat that pay. 0-1 plus first move plus enlisted time, plus hire you right away and apply time towards retirement. I can't seem to find any contract that will let me retire in 16yrs. No one can even match the retirement. I also graduate this year. I've paid my way through school on the gi bill and by working for gun companies. I don't have a wife and kids. I do have girlfriends and dogs.

I've yet to see a better contract come the way of my double major 82nd airborne wingman. Nada. He's thinking of going USAF too. In this market, it doesn't seem to be out there. We both went back to school, with time in service, just to get the retirement. That requires a .gov job, but we knew that going into it. Win win.

It sounds horrible. But in my experience I've yet to see anyone who will beat the contract I can get by signing back up with the GOV. While I can make a little bit more by contracting, I can make a shit ton by going back into the .gov brotherhood.

If you go into the USAF you'll be a self ticket righting badass. Most USAF guys don't get to touch a gun, less shoot one. Some USAF guys shoot people too. The rest hero worship. You hero you.....

my sniper section SGT went streight in to blackwater and got a $98,000 signing bonus on top of the contract pay.

but as one of the other replys eluded to.. Any one can shoot, its all the other training that is valued back in the CIV world

so are you a shooter or a thinker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I went and talked to the USMC. Long story short no deal. They're dropping me from E-5 to E-3 with no promises of letting me do what I want. Sad thing is I would take the huge pay and rank decrease just to keep doing the sniper deal. The recruiter basically told me to get lost. </div></div>

If you are interested in the Marines and want to still be a sniper the one way to go would be Recon. There is a kind of back door way in to Recon with also keeping some degree of control on your life by going to a Reserve Recon unit or just the Reserves in general with the Marines. I don't know how it is as a regular infantry Marine but I know it has been really easy for Recon Marines to go to active duty once they have been through all their schools, in fact the Reserve unit that I had been with encouraged it.

Otherwise you can always try getting into the overseas security business and I would bet DDM are still hard to find and it is hard to beat the paycheck.

I agree with Mike completely. Set the past aside and move on to other challenges. While what you've done is noteworthy (and allow me to say thanks), it's comparatively one-dimensional. Add another (at least) dimension to your Army career.

For example, when you were deployed, were any of the unit leaders in your direct chain of command experienced Snipers? Would it have helped if they were? Is there any reason why you couldn't achieve that rank and put your experience to use? Would that make a useful difference for you?

One chapter closes, another awaits adjacent...

A good book has many chapters, and they're each enjoyable and rewarding in their unique way.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys. As far as the school thing goes we'll see but I'm married and not sure how if school and supporting the both of us would work out. I thought long and hard about the SFAS thing but bottom line I've been married a little over 3 years and home for 1 of them. She needs me home and I'm burnt out on this 1 year here 1 year there shit anyway. The SF training is over a year and a half alone. I'd love to but I need to start thinking about my wife and not the army for once. </div></div>

If your wife is a civilian she can PCS to bragg with you like any other move. you are only out in the field for phase 1, FTX for your MOS phase at the end of cycle, and then Robin Sage until you go to SERE school. Not really a spectacular amount of field time. Get it done and out of the way now in your marriage and then reap the benefits later.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm glad I've still got a almost a year to figure all this shit out.

If you like the laid back ... no dog and pony show ... all the recommendations to go SF make sense to me. SFAS .. you got a year to train up ... roll with it. I regret not doing it when I was at Bragg in my younger years and had the option.

My one "regret" is not retiring from the Military. Life has windows of opportunities that open and close. You will not get a second chance to get 20 years in with a pension and medical. SF is a great option to work with "like" individuals. Not the usual "cannon fodder".

Don't forget college. The new GI Bill is really nice and you won't ever get a better deal than that!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762-4-U</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My one "regret" is not retiring from the Military.</div></div>

Yup. I was young and stupid and took my discharge from the Navy. Never should have done it. Now I'm too much of a broke dick to even consider it, now I'm working some low rate IT job which barely pays the bills. If I had stayed in, I'd be an E-6 by now, at least, with 11 yrs of service. Oh well. You live and learn, unfortunately only once.

I would say you have two good options if you want to stay in.

First is what John said. Re-up for a slot in the Sniper school cadre. You can teach what you have learned, have a regular schedule (great for family time) and can take some college courses while you are still in.

Second is Delta. I would highly recommend this one. You will still be deployable (of coarse) but it is different. Your wife will be in a much better network. She will be better taken care of. She wont have to deal with the day to day bullshit that most spouces have to endure. It truely is a different world.

Huge benifit is that they are split into catagories, you will learn everything, but you can still primarily be a long gunner. There is WAY less pomp and parade shit to deal with. You don't have to deal with a superior using you to kiss his superior's ass.

SF is another option along the same lines, but it is different.

The down side to both Delta and SF is that it is tough to get selected. And it is not for everybody. You have to really want it and NEVER stop.

Last, do NOT be afraid to get out. If the service is not for you, then get your Honorable and move on. We will all thank you for your service and not hold it against you. Either way, try to do some college though, it will be worth it. You don't have to go the four year route either. You can learn a trade of your choice too.

"It's back to the bullshit, the guys you have to watch out for and the ones that just waste fucking air."

You've gotten a lot of great advice, just remember that the folks you mention above are EVERYWHERE, both military and civilian.

I wish you the best with your decision in the coming year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say you have two good options if you want to stay in.

First is what John said. Re-up for a slot in the Sniper school cadre. You can teach what you have learned, have a regular schedule (great for family time) and can take some college courses while you are still in.

Second is Delta. I would highly recommend this one. You will still be deployable (of coarse) but it is different. Your wife will be in a much better network. She will be better taken care of. She wont have to deal with the day to day bullshit that most spouces have to endure. It truely is a different world.

Huge benifit is that they are split into catagories, you will learn everything, but you can still primarily be a long gunner. There is WAY less pomp and parade shit to deal with. You don't have to deal with a superior using you to kiss his superior's ass.

The down side to both Delta and SF is that it is tough to get selected. And it is not for everybody. You have to really want it and NEVER stop.

Last, do NOT be afraid to get out. If the service is not for you, then get your Honorable and move on. We will all thank you for your service and not hold it against you. Either way, try to do some college though, it will be worth it. You don't have to go the four year route either. You can learn a trade of your choice too.</div></div>

Dude just shut the fuck up...

I was a designated marksman, a commo guy that went the extra mile and did the COMSEC thing - had electronic experience and got out and ended up doing supply work until the PC market exploded in 1993 - I went that way troubleshooting with teh same skills the US Army taught me in 1983....

You don't need to look at gung-ho jobs, think "Leadership", or aka "Management" - if you have the drive and get a bit of management school going you can make some bucks - not my ticket because I speak my mind and people don't like that and I'm not politically correct but it can be done...

Lastly - you very well COULD go try to teach at sniper school, go to OCS, (REtirement pay will be better), or go as a scout/sniper platoon leader.....

IF you want to look at a job in the nuclear security force as a power plant security team member, shoot me a pm and I can point you in the right direction. Since 9/11 the doors are wide open. There are 102 plants in the US with 90% of them east of the Mississippi. They pay well, you get sleep at home every night and you get to play with some neat toys as a bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say you have two good options if you want to stay in.

Last, do NOT be afraid to get out. If the service is not for you, then get your Honorable and move on. We will all thank you for your service and not hold it against you. Either way, try to do some college though, it will be worth it. You don't have to go the four year route either. You can learn a trade of your choice too.</div></div>

Dude just shut the fuck up... </div></div>

Am I missing something? That is good advice and don't understand why you have a problem with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Am I missing something? That is good advice and don't understand why you have a problem with it.</div></div>

Reading gugubika's post made my poser alert go through the roof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IF you want to look at a job in the nuclear security force as a power plant security team member, shoot me a pm and I can point you in the right direction. Since 9/11 the doors are wide open. There are 102 plants in the US with 90% of them east of the Mississippi. They pay well, you get sleep at home every night and you get to play with some neat toys as a bonus. </div></div>
You might glow in the dark too, as extra bonus
smile.gif

But seriously, there will likely be even more nuclear plants in the future, if the energy scenario will continue to look this way.

Billy,

As a point in fact, I never claimed that I am, was or am going to be anything.

Have you, in fact, been in any of the mentioned organizations?

I know some of what you have done and truely appreciate what you have given in your service. But, I do not believe that you have any first hand experience with any of the above suggestions.

I am sorry if I sounded like a poser, but it does not matter what I am, was or am going to be. I simply offered some options to rogue. I personally feel that these are good options and stand by them. If I did not think that they might help him to stay in a field that he enjoys, I would not have posted them.

If you are refering to the "not for everybody" portion of my statements, then again, sorry, but it is true.

I sincerely hope that rougue does not discount it because it is deemed as to "poserific" and to be honest, if you think I am a poser, I don't give a shit. I am not going to loose sleep over a false accusation.

Thank you and have a good one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Billy,

As a point in fact, I never claimed that I am, was or am going to be anything.

Have you, in fact, been in any of the mentioned organizations?

I know some of what you have done and truely appreciate what you have given in your service. But, I do not believe that you have any first hand experience with any of the above suggestions.

I am sorry if I sounded like a poser, but it does not matter what I am, was or am going to be. I simply offered some options to rogue. I personally feel that these are good options and stand by them. If I did not think that they might help him to stay in a field that he enjoys, I would not have posted them.

If you are refering to the "not for everybody" portion of my statements, then again, sorry, but it is true.

I sincerely hope that rougue does not discount it because it is deemed as to "poserific" and to be honest, if you think I am a poser, I don't give a shit. I am not going to loose sleep over a false accusation.

Thank you and have a good one.</div></div>

There are plenty of knowledgeable people that took the time to respond to this thread and then there was your post.

I think that the 18E had it well in hand but you still had to pipe in "GO DELTA". Might as well offer up being the CEO of General Electric as an option. I particularly like your nonchalant suggestion that SF is along the same lines but different and well that's my third choice.

I don't know you from adam. Hell dude you could have been in SF and I would still call you a poser for your post.

As for me I'm a former Marine. My knowledge of SF is all second hand. What I do know is that the divorce rates are high and CAG deploys a lot. At least these are the two most common themes that I have heard over the years.

Delta lets you ninja kick people in the face whenever you want. Basically it is like Modern Warfare 2 except you get to kill a lot more people and get paid like a million dollars a year. Do it!
grin.gif

I went to a CAG recruiting brief once, so I think I know what I am talking about!
laugh.gif

Just take your family into consideration with whatever you choose. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Delta lets you ninja kick people in the face whenever you want. Basically it is like Modern Warfare 2 except you get to kill a lot more people and get paid like a million dollars a year. Do it!
grin.gif

I went to a CAG recruiting brief once, so I think I know what I am talking about!
laugh.gif

Just take your family into consideration with whatever you choose. Good luck. </div></div>

I heard Chuck Norris was an instructor at Delta.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLINKY ERT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not your ONLY choice, but one that will allow you to use your skillset while gaining the adoration and respect of the public in general. </div></div>

Unless you're black, hispanic, gay or . . .

Do what you love, dude. Nothing else will do. If being a cop (or anything else for that matter) doesn't sit well, don't do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short-term inconvenience of school pays long-term dividends. If your interests take you there, think about it. We scraped by for a few years while I finished an unplanned extra degree but it was well worth it in the end. </div></div>

+1. Going to school <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> thinking about your family. It will be hard, but not impossible. Besides, after war, I would be willing to bet that school is cake.

Actually, school after war is a struggle. I constantly have to stop myself from beating the life out of the liberal douche-bags in my classes. The professors are just as bad. I have wanted to "choke a bitch" a few times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually, school after war is a struggle. I constantly have to stop myself from beating the life out of the liberal douche-bags in my classes. The professors are just as bad. I have wanted to "choke a bitch" a few times. </div></div>

This is true. I am done in may and i will have a Bachelors in Criminology and Criminal Justice and I have had many classes where I have to listen to cop bashing instead of learning something that I will benefit from. There are too many college kids that think they know everything when in reality don't know shit. If you decide to go back to school, good luck to you and thank you for your service

-Z