• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Evolution of the Bolt Gun (prepare to drool)

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    This is badass with a capital <span style="font-size: 17pt">BAD</span> and I think I found my next stick...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykglRtlfOcA&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykglRtlfOcA&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: The Evolution of the Bolt Gun (prepare to drool)

Impressive, but I thought that was a rifle coming out by Remington?

That is pretty cool.I'm not a big fan of Barret usually but that's an extremely versatile system they designed.

i wonder if accuracy international has anything up to contest this contract

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wonder if accuracy international has anything up to contest this contract</div></div> US Military weapons contracts require they be produced, or at least a majority of the weapon, in the US, so probably not.

Thats part of the reason the AI AX was designed.....AINA has the ability to meet the requirements for DOD procurements.

I don't know if I'd want my precision bolt gun to have a pinned upper... Other than that it looks neat.

Looks cool. But I would still rather have a Desert Tactical SRS.

The cheek adjustmet knob seems to be on the wron side for a righty. I'm not sold on the whole upper/lower deal either but it does seem pretty much kick as.

This basic concept seems to be where its going with most manufactures. I would like to see the pursuit of weight reduction become priority rather than feature laden stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats part of the reason the AI AX was designed.....AINA has the ability to meet the requirements for DOD procurements.</div></div> Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cheek adjustmet knob seems to be on the wron side for a righty. I'm not sold on the whole upper/lower deal either but it does seem pretty much kick as. </div></div>
    It actually works quite well and feels natural on the right. If it were on the left it seems like it might disturb your cheek weld.

With the split upper/lower one would think you'd have the play that's present in most AR platform autos but that's not the case. Only the front is pinned. The rear is held in place by a very stout latch and the upper/lower is rock solid. I suppose if you're used to a unified system this would seem strange though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDECK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This basic concept seems to be where its going with most manufactures. I would like to see the pursuit of weight reduction become priority rather than feature laden stocks. </div></div>

It's a lightweight for sure. My 98 Bravo which is essentially the same platform without some of the bells weighs in at a scant 17lbs with a full 10rnd mag, USO w/heavy 1-piece and a bipod. With Barrett and Remy duking it out I think this will be a good thing for bolt gun design.

I was at this video shoot and I have copies of the full blown original footage, I am waiting for the okay to post it... they were filmed around Fort Collins CO.

the real videos are bad ass...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at this video shoot and I have copies of the full blown original footage, I am waiting for the okay to post it... they were filmed around Fort Collins CO.

the real videos are bad ass... </div></div>

I saw that thread after I posted the video. All I can say is you suck...and I want your job
    wink.gif

Seriously though I'll bet that was a blast. Any talk about whether or not they're going to offer different calibers for the 98B? I know they use the same bolt but the barrel attaches differently. There were some rumors floating around that it may be a possibility.

Def would prefer the Barret over the Remington, but both are def cool designs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wonder if accuracy international has anything up to contest this contract</div></div> US Military weapons contracts require they be produced, or at least a majority of the weapon, in the US, so probably not. </div></div>

ROFL!!!!

You ever look at a 240, or M9, maybe the Nelli M4 and I could go on and on. Maybe you should go back to the drawing board on that answer.

On the present subject. It looks badass, I think Lowlight or someone posted some pics of it a while back and is the reason I backed off getting the 338 Lapua Barret. Looks pretty close to the same platform with some better bells and a bit louder whistle.

Okay ... that gets a BAMF rating. I like the bolt/barrel change better than the TRS. That thing is JOE friendly for sure ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wonder if accuracy international has anything up to contest this contract</div></div> US Military weapons contracts require they be produced, or at least a majority of the weapon, in the US, so probably not. </div></div>

ROFL!!!!

You ever look at a 240, or M9, maybe the Nelli M4 and I could go on and on. Maybe you should go back to the drawing board on that answer.</div></div> FNH-USA builds the M240 and M249s in Columbia, SC and is stamped on the left side of the receiver. Just double checked one of my 240's right now, but my M249's aren't marked with any manufacture location. Look here: http://www.fnmfg.com/

The M9 on my hip is stamped "ACKK., Maryland-Made in USA". I have no idea on the M1014, but Benelli has a US branch too. It's been a while since I had one of those, and I don't remember what they're stamped.

I'm not involved in weapons procurement, so I don't know first hand the finer points of the laws and rules involved, but this is something that I've read and heard several times but it might only have been for certain procurement contracts.

Of course, I could be completely misinformed on the matter and therefore full of shit and guilty for passing on something that is actually just a rumor. As I said above, "Learn something new every day."

Looks like it was designed by the marketing dept. I'm sure they will sell lots of them, but I'm in no hurry to spend money on one....

Tacticool with a capital cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it was designed by the marketing dept. </div></div>
    I'm not too convinced of that in this case. It's far too simple a design. The mere fact that you can run it without lube is a good indicator that someone with sand in their shorts had a big hand in this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at this video shoot and I have copies of the full blown original footage, I am waiting for the okay to post it... they were filmed around Fort Collins CO.

Did you shoot it Frank?

One of these in .300WM would be sweeeet!

How well do these bbl swap designs maintain zero? From past posts(specifically Later's posts), the SRS seemed to be dead on, but what about other rifles with this capability?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks cool. But I would still rather have a Desert Tactical SRS. </div></div>
    I would too, but for this contract if shooting weakside is an important aspect, what Barrett offers seems to be more forgiving.

Barrett is a badass company that actually listens to the consumer/users. They have great people working for them (Kyle) and support our passion...Bravo! I mean MRAD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm... barrel nut and barrel / caliber change. sounds pretty "savagey" to me... </div></div>I doubt Savage invented the removable barrel or the barrel nut. Just sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cheek adjustmet knob seems to be on the wron side for a righty. I'm not sold on the whole upper/lower deal either but it does seem pretty much kick as. </div></div>
    It actually works quite well and feels natural on the right. If it were on the left it seems like it might disturb your cheek weld.

With the split upper/lower one would think you'd have the play that's present in most AR platform autos but that's not the case. Only the front is pinned. The rear is held in place by a very stout latch and the upper/lower is rock solid. I suppose if you're used to a unified system this would seem strange though.

</div></div>

Well, in the video the cheek adjustment knob is on the left side... I suspect Barrett had to put it on that side for the stock to be able to fold and lock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, in the video the cheek adjustment knob is on the left side... I suspect Barrett had to put it on that side for the stock to be able to fold and lock. </div></div>

Didn't even notice. Probably would affect the stock fold. It's on the right on my 98B. Personally I think the folding stock is unnecessary since the upper and lower can be separated for transport. It was likely a requirement for the contract bid. One latch and one pin and the gun breaks in half.

I like all those adjustments. After looking at the Remington, they both have awesome setups. Good thing I'm not the one that gets to decide the winner.

SS

hey fellas,

just so you know , the cheek adjustment knob on the 98B can change sides form left to right.

just spin the cheekpiece around. i just checked and confirmed this on my 98B.

cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anthony box</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey fellas,

just so you know , the cheek adjustment knob on the 98B can change sides form left to right.

just spin the cheekpiece around. i just checked and confirmed this on my 98B.

cheers </div></div>I had wondered about that but hadn't thought to look at mine.

Cool piece. Thanks for posting it.

pinned upper is rock solid ,

really nothing to worry about

Re: The Evolution of the Bolt Gun (prepare to droo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of these in .300WM would be sweeeet! </div></div>

I 2nd that on the win mag.

I'd like one in .308 just to make it a practical plinking stick to keep my .338LM costs down. I hope they'll make a .308 kit for the 98B.

Guys, i am going to have a SH exclusive in regards to this system and some really cool accompanying videos... so keep an eye out before Thanksgiving because it will be very cool.

As well those guys coming to the Bash, Barrett is going to be a big part of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, i am going to have a SH exclusive in regards to this system and some really cool accompanying videos... so keep an eye out before Thanksgiving because it will be very cool. </div></div>

Can't wait to see it.

Any word on ballpark cost?

If it was a evolution, it certainly wouldn't retain the sliding extractor...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was a evolution, it certainly wouldn't retain the sliding extractor... </div></div>
    ...or those pesky bullets when a death ray would be much more effective.

What exactly is wrong with it? If you google Barrett extractor problem not a single hit comes up. I would expect to find several 1st page hits if there was an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on ballpark cost? </div></div>
    A safe bet it will be somewhere north of the 98B

now you are just taunting.....