• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Evolution of the Bolt Gun (prepare to drool)

Re: The Evolution of the Bolt Gun (prepare to drool)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like it was designed by the marketing dept. I'm sure they will sell lots of them, but I'm in no hurry to spend money on one....

Tacticool with a capital cool. </div></div>

Does it come in Multicam..???

No Multiicam, just Barrett Multi-Role Brown which is a bit darker than the gun in the vid.

That's a Marathon SAR watch the dude in the vid is wearing. Very tactical indeed, down to the last detail even.

Any news/views on the accuracy of the rifle across the three calibers? What's the cost of the different caliber set-ups?

Re: The Evolution of the Bolt Gun (prepare to droo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, i am going to have a SH exclusive in regards to this system and some really cool accompanying videos... so keep an eye out before Thanksgiving because it will be very cool.

As well those guys coming to the Bash, Barrett is going to be a big part of that. </div></div>

Frank, are you saying we will be seeing the rifle at the Bash or maybe just maybe get to shoot one?

I am sure Barrett will bring one to the Bash... that is probably pretty easy. But I will be shooting it all week, as they flew in tonight with one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am sure Barrett will bring one to the Bash... that is probably pretty easy. But I will be shooting it all week, as they flew in tonight with one. </div></div>

Awesome.

for some reason i just cant get use to this pistol type grip of the DTA and im sure the same for the AX and Barrett,dont like it at all. dont know why,ill just stick with the ae-aw series and smile.

in an word, "awesome" the Barrett MRAD is laser accurate...

mradoverall.jpg

my first group out of the gate with the rifle:
mradgroup.jpg

Extremely easy to shoot...
mrad.jpg

mrad2.jpg

Folded...

mradfold.jpg

At a 1k it was insane how on it was today... loved it.

Frank, is that group 3 or 5?....only kidding!!...great pics per usual!!

Ah yes, the bolt gun evolves. Modularity is the new black. Its unfortunate that ergonomics reached a plateau in the 1980s...it seems the A2 grip simply cannot be improved upon.

Why does that barrel look so short? Which caliber was it set up for?
Looks like .308 holes but I see a box of Lapua on the ground.

Oh my god the barrel looks short... what are those holes... LOL

You guys are funny, its a picture, not a scientific discovery. The barrel is 24" to the end of the MB, I actually like the 20" one I shot before, but the 24" has a nice feel.

Those holes are .338, believe me, here is another shot by a student, the shoot n c is under 1" in size.

mradgrp2.jpg

trust the holes are .338 and there is more than 3 rounds there.

Not doubting you just asking. I have a 98B so it was odd seeing it with a shorter barrel. So I take it that they're not staying with the 27" of the 98B?

Barrels are user changeable that means options... not to mention the guy who came in 10th in the 2010 SHC used a 20" 98b, so, options will include, 20, 24" and 27... in the future anyway.

What does the folded length come out to with X barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah yes, the bolt gun evolves. Modularity is the new black. Its unfortunate that ergonomics reached a plateau in the 1980s...it seems the A2 grip simply cannot be improved upon. </div></div>

I like that I could put on a vertical foregrip, Surefire, Troy BUIS...etc. Wait a minute, what kind of rifle is this again?
smile.gif

All in jest. I'm a nobody and my opinion on this counts for less than squat, but I do agree with Powder Burns. I like bolt guns to at least be moderately traditional. The AI's are about as fancy/ modern as I can wrap my small brain around. That said, it really isn't an ugly gun like a lot of the new models I see. I might actually be able to get used to it. If someone wants to send me one for free I'll try to learn to like it.
smile.gif

Folded length is just under PSR spec, which I think was 39"... that is about it.

The bolt is different, enough to warrant some acknowledgement of what Barrett did. The bolt is in a polymer sleeve that lubricates it so it doesn't need oil. It is not metal on metal... sort of a slick design.

Finished up with the system last night, he will bring it to the Bash, and I'll have a video with some Barrett bonus footage up around next Wednesday.

Shot the 300gr bullet yesterday, factory ammo that only needed 7 mils to 1000 yards with a DA around 1200... hits were a walk in the park even on the small target.

Interesting fire control system. The modular trigger looks like one of the modular AR-15 triggers, but modified for use with a bolt action striker, rather than hammer-and-firing-pin system. Has that been done before?