• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

the feel of a freshly paint handgun...

...actually has a kind of tacky feel to it. At least mine does now.

I just used some spray paint to transform my Gen4 G22 from black to OD Green and it has a really sticky sort of feel to it.
Did I use the wrong kind of paint?

I have seen many pics of others painting their guns but have never heard how the feel may or may not change after such a paint job. I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions about this as I am a bit disappointed with the feel now.

I used spray 'enamel' (my artist wife says that's just another word for regular paint) for model cars/airplanes that I got at Hobby Lobby here in SC.

thanks again for your help!

Re: the feel of a freshly paint handgun...

How did you paint it? Did you use light coats and wait for it to dry in between or did you lay it on thick? If you laid it on thick, it will remain tacky for a while. Can you see your prints or impressions in the paint where you have touched it?

you didn't let it cure long enough

and the thicker/more coats you use the longer it takes

Krylon Fusion is the best i have found in regular spray paint. No way i would do it to any of my Glocks. There just isn't any reason, and if you actually use a handgun it wont stay painted.

Hell, I wear the black off of the slides on mine.

I hate painting with enamel style paints because they always leave a thickish weird feel. Regular krylon type paint dries just fine. I am having my G19 cerakoted at the moment buy a guy near me, and there is another one in Anderson that can do it. Several shops also do Duracoat, but that material is not as hard nor will it stand up to abuse and wear as well. Duracoat can be applied by anyone rather painlessly.

Read the Directions. You typically have to let the paint dry before you start handling it.

You did strip it of all oils and chemicals before painting too, right? If you want the painted parts to cure a little faster yuo could always stick em in the oven on a pan at low heat for 20 minutes or so.

Spray paint on the polymer will be tacky for several days. We had to paint some meeger meter covers red at work for safety reasons. Took FOREVER to not feel tacky.

i sprayed it in light applications and left it outside to dry for a few hours after each go. I think I did 2 coats total. and then left it for a while. I dont think it i laid it on too thick. I cant see my finger prints on it when i touch the frame, it just feels gluey. I am glad to hear from you all that it does or should eventually get less tacky or not at all tacky in the future! I did clean it of all oils/grease/etc before the spray job too.

i guess i will wait to see how it goes. i need some range time to get a good feel for it post-paint anyways. i might keep yous posted on how it goes.

thanks again for your help. i really appreciate this site and all of you to weigh in to help a brotha out.

Check out duracoat Shake 'N Spray kit. Drys nice, doesn't chip or scratch easily and looks great. Sprayed my black AI stock OD and can't tell it was ever black.