• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix Q accuracy?

vno.helix

"comfort is the enemy of progress"
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Los Angeles
www.linkedin.com
My friend bought the Fix in 6.5 Creedmoor. She sold her Tikka Tac 6.5 which was a great shooter. In fact, she'd give me a really hard time shooting side by side against me with my AI AX which really pissed me off given it was less then 1/3 of the price. When she decided to upgrade to the Fix, our expectations were high. Admittedly it has a very light barrel, which could potentially give it some undesirable harmonics or heat up when fired at high rate but non the less, being a Bartlein (Correction:not a Bartlein/Tooley barrel) barrel, I was expecting it to perform within an inch without too much effort. The scope (Hensoldt 4x16) and mount (Eurooptic mount) came right of her old rifle.

To the range. We brought 123, 140 and 147 Hornady Match figuring the rifle would at least like one of them well enough to get some decent groups. And that is where it ended. The expectation turned into, well almost unbelief. Neither of us is able to get an 1 inch group out of her. She is all over the place. I checked the scope mount and short of taking my Bender of my TRG and mounting it, I cant figure out why she is shooting so incredible bad.

Now, looking at the rifle and it being kinda an AR15 design with a barrel nut into what I feel is a relative flimsy action (Compared to the AI and TRG at least) are my expectations of this thing being capable of shooting within an inch unrealistic? What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of her and which ammo are you using? Any tips on what to check, anything that might be loose? On an conventional rifle I'd check action screws but there are none and the AR barrel nut designs is rather unfamiliar to me. Any words of advise are highly appreciated.

Stay safe,

Thank you.

Correction: I was under the impression the Fix was delivered with a Bartlein barrel. After removal of the handguard it appears there is no marking indicating it is a Bartlein barrel nor is there any marking of Dave Tooley. It appears another barrel maker is now supplying to Q for this particular rifle

Last edited:
You can find instructions for a barrel change on their site. That should help familiarize you with the arrangement. Send it back to q if it’s that bad though. You should have to Dick around with it. I love mine. It shot well with the factory barrel, and shoots quite a bit better with the proof carbon that’s on it now.

My friend bought the Fix in 6.5 Creedmoor. She sold her Tikka Tac 6.5 which was a great shooter. In fact, she'd give me a really hard time shooting side by side against me with my AI AX which really pissed me off given it was less then 1/3 of the price. When she decided to upgrade to the Fix, our expectations were high. Admittedly it has a very light barrel, which could potentially give it some undesirable harmonics or heat up when fired at high rate but non the less, being a Bartlein barrel, I was expecting it to perform within an inch without too much effort. The scope (Hensoldt 4x15) and mount (Eurooptic mount) came right of her old rifle.

To the range. We brought 123, 140 and 147 Hornady Match figuring the rifle would at least like one of them well enough to get some decent groups. And that is where it ended. The expectation turned into, well almost unbelief. Neither of us is able to get an 1 inch group out of her. She is all over the place. I checked the scope mount and short of taking my Bender of my TRG and mounting it, I cant figure out why she is shooting so incredible bad.

Now, looking at the rifle and it being kinda an AR15 design with a barrel nut into what I feel is a relative flimsy action (Compared to the AI and TRG at least) are my expectations of this thing being capable of shooting within an inch unrealistic? What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of her and which ammo are you using? Any tips on what to check, anything that might be loose? On an conventional rifle I'd check action screws but there are none and the AR barrel nut designs is rather unfamiliar to me. Any words of advise are highly appreciated.

Stay safe,

Thank you.

You sure it's our barrel? If it's not marked Tooley / Bartlein then it's not our barrel. Most likely a Green Mountain. We stopped making barrels for the FIX a couple of years ago.

If it's our barrel give me a call and will help the best we can. There are other issues besides the barrel that can be causing you accuracy problems as well.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

My apologies; for some reason I was under the impression or read somewhere on their website that they use your barrels. It was one if not the main selling point as I have gotten some amazing results with your barrels. I will get back on this. Thank you.

Attached my best group ever @ 200 yards with one of your barrels spun up by GAP: AI AT, S&B 5-25x50, 308GMM 175, Bartlein MTU 1/10 twist 18 inch

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 10.02.56 AM.png

Last edited:
You can find instructions for a barrel change on their site. That should help familiarize you with the arrangement. Send it back to q if it’s that bad though. You should have to Dick around with it. I love mine. It shot well with the factory barrel, and shoots quite a bit better with the proof carbon that’s on it now.

What ammo seemed to work for you the best? What results are you getting?

Correction: I was under the impression the Fix was delivered with a Bartlein barrel. After removal of the handguard it appears there is no marking indicating it is a Bartlein barrel nor is there any marking of Dave Tooley. It appears another barrel maker is now supplying to Q for this particular rifle

Tomorrow I will take it to the range (if still open) and replace the Hensoldt with the S&B to eliminate any potential scope failure. Will update

Last edited:
Lol, I am no professional, not by any means. But with the right ammo and rifle/scope setup I get decent results on a good day.
For now I am just trying to get some information on which ammo might give the best result in this rifle and what my expectations should be vs the current results I am getting. Thank you.

were these reloads or otc ammo? I got mine to do half inch with 147 eld x and some imr powder.

think it’s good to check the rings and such as I always start there. But given the q is lightweight some people were having trouble with Groupings out of the box and they had to get used to the felt recoil.

you are correct bartlein and tooley no longer make the barrels for the q. As I understand they source from multiple makers with green mountain being one of them. But it should be able to deliver at least moa groups.

be aware kb doesn’t have a great following here (for some fair and some unfair reasons) so You will get some trolls posts here.
there is a huge thread that’s 80ish pages long I think that may be a good place to start.

were these reloads or otc ammo? I got mine to do half inch with 147 eld x and some imr powder.

think it’s good to check the rings and such as I always start there. But given the q is lightweight some people were having trouble with Groupings out of the box and they had to get used to the felt recoil.

you are correct bartlein and tooley no longer make the barrels for the q. As I understand they source from multiple makers with green mountain being one of them. But it should be able to deliver at least moa groups.

be aware kb doesn’t have a great following here (for some fair and some unfair reasons) so You will get some trolls posts here.
there is a huge thread that’s 80ish pages long I think that may be a good place to start.

I hear it's not a real Q rifle unless you have to Fix it yourself ?

Glad to hear they should perform well. All otc ammo here, Hornady ELD Match 123,140,147 , no reloading. Mount is checked, rail is checked, forenend etc. Next; a scope&mount swap to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the info.

Glad to hear they should perform well. All otc ammo here, Hornady ELD Match 123,140,147 , no reloading. Mount is checked, rail is checked, forenend etc. Next; a scope&mount swap to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the info.
I don’t shoot factory ammo, so really can’t help you. The Fix hasn’t come with a Bartlein in what seems like two years or so.

My 308 fix with green mountain barrel shot 1/2moa with Lapua 155gr Scenar factory ammo, and my 6mm Creed Proof Fix shot 1/4moa with both of the loads I developed for it.

They aren’t the most generous rifles as far as accurate shooting, you’ve gotta be on your game fundamentally to shoot a light rifle like these things.

"They aren’t the most generous rifles as far as accurate shooting, you’ve gotta be on your game fundamentally to shoot a light rifle like these things."

For sure, she caught me off guard the first time I shot it, tiny little bugger. Great to carry around though. I can definitely see the appeal. Now if I just can get her to group within an inch, I'd be happy.

The rifle is tricky to shoot because it's light. Here are some 5 shot groups from a Proof 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

1589401255451.png

1589401290156.png

1589401349159.png

1589401373523.png

Attachments

• 1589401310879.png
    1589401310879.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 80
....Even though I am happy with the accuracy, there was a problem feeding rounds that bothered me. I sent the rifle back on a prepaid shipping label. Frictionless process and I was notified they will mail it back to me by end of this week. Very happy with the turn-around time and overall customer service experience.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Went out today, finally the range opened up. Swapped the Hensoldt for the Bender just to eliminate any scope/mount issues. 120Gr ELD Match Hornady factory ammo which we had not tried yet (thus far only 123, 140 and 147) and got some (barely) 1 inch groups out of her. Swapped the scope back, same story. Maybe she just likes the lighter ammo better or perhaps the barrel is getting broken in as she has about 300 rounds on her now. For sure, not an easy rifle to shoot. I can see where its nice if you have to carry it around on a hunting trip for days but other than that it is just a gimmick to me. I still feel the Tikka Tac she had was the perfect "lighter weight" performer, especially for the money. Anyway, thanks for your replies and inputs. We will keep playing with it for now and see what we can do to improve and hopefully get some even better results in the future.

Q sells a Proof SS 6.5 Creed barrel for $650 and you can get the Proof CF prefits from TAG firearms for $900. I know it's more money but it will definitely get you a solid barrel. Most of those Green Mountain barrels are decent shooters but they're not on the level of a top quality cut rifled barrel.

My apologies; for some reason I was under the impression or read somewhere on their website that they use your barrels. It was one if not the main selling point as I have gotten some amazing results with your barrels. I will get back on this. Thank you.

Attached my best group ever @ 200 yards with one of your barrels spun up by GAP: AI AT, S&B 5-25x50, 308GMM 175, Bartlein MTU 1/10 twist 18 inch

View attachment 7286527

Get a Bartlein & Tooley Barrel and Then contact D3LLC (Desert Design & Development) he spelled out in a post on The Official Q’s IG page how he “FIXED”what was hurting accuracy with The Fix. I am gong to get in touch with him and have him make the Jam Nut changes he did to several buddies of his and his own to go from 1.5-2 MOA to consistently shooting .5 MOA groups.

Get a Bartlein & Tooley Barrel and Then contact D3LLC (Desert Design & Development) he spelled out in a post on The Official Q’s IG page how he “FIXED”what was hurting accuracy with The Fix. I am gong to get in touch with him and have him make the Jam Nut changes he did to several buddies of his and his own to go from 1.5-2 MOA to consistently shooting .5 MOA groups.
Can you put up a screen shot of that post? Im curious what he said

Forgive me if they are not in order. Wish I had the link to the original post. I Don’t know if Q left it up or took his comments down. I know they left post up because Donald Trump JR posted in it. I am sure they didn’t delete that.

D3LLC was giving the gun a thumbs up, even told them how to fix it, just didn’t like the “Shortcuts taken” was to increase Profit Margin on a $3000 rig. If I can find more of the conversation I will post it.

Sorry wrong screen grabs, let me find D3’s

Reactions: White Mamba

Attachments

• 0D42EE35-3BAB-4BA5-AC54-C6B92D1ED032.png
    0D42EE35-3BAB-4BA5-AC54-C6B92D1ED032.png
    870.7 KB · Views: 701
  • BEB1D5BC-19FA-4852-AB8C-E19AB51449D0.jpeg
    BEB1D5BC-19FA-4852-AB8C-E19AB51449D0.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 680
  • 7AC6B923-BF5C-40AF-9424-A9EB9828C4A9.png
    7AC6B923-BF5C-40AF-9424-A9EB9828C4A9.png
    977.9 KB · Views: 657
  • D6454901-3F1B-4C57-9BF1-AD36EB666246.jpeg
    D6454901-3F1B-4C57-9BF1-AD36EB666246.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 642
  • 28F1597B-0FEC-42D6-8EE3-CF686336D68C.png
    28F1597B-0FEC-42D6-8EE3-CF686336D68C.png
    963.2 KB · Views: 679
Thanks! This is the first thing I did a couple years ago

@White Mamba is the bottom one the factory barrel?If so, can you take a clear pic of barrel extension area? Is that the lock nut on it I see? Mine are both B&T bbls and I had a Proof Research CF one also. None looked liked that!!

OK, so that’s what they changed to save money and causing issues.. Man, they changed so much since the original design and all to save money or cut corners, but I am not a gunsmith so.. just sucks. All I can say is get with @Frank Green & or MR Tooley with a quality barrel.

Maybe the real issue is the barrel extension manufacturer can't, or won't, hold close tolerances.

Reactions: TDFT1
So what’s the accuracy like on the current ones ?

What’s this fix ha described here ?:

Iv got one in 308 I picked up last year it shoots great. For hunting Iv got multiple loads with different weight Barnes bullets form 130 grain to 175 all print around .05 to .75. For range days I’m shooting the 175 match kings. It’s a good shooting handy little rifle and has grown on me.

Reactions: BurtG
I like the concept of the Fix, so much that I actually bought it twice. (Definition of insanity......?)

The second time I went all out, 16" proof 6.5 barrel, big butt pad, short scope rail, the works. I even took an MPA chasis grip and drilled the AR holes in it so it would fit the Fix.

The truth is though, that I couldnt get either one of them to shoot.

I dont blame anything mechanical with the Fix, I think it was probably a very accurate rifle, especially the second one.

Eventually, I sold the second one as well, just could not make it work for me.

I've thought about it a lot though, and my conclusion is that because of the thin-ness of the butt stock, and something to do with the way the rifle recoils, it requires PERFECT technique EVERY time. A more perfect technique than I am able to maintain. IMO it's not the weight like everyone says, I can shoot featherweight hunting rifles fine, have done all my life, no the problem with the Fix is something to do with its shape.

This concept will be etherial if you havent actually shot the Fix, but I'll bet those that have will know what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: nazarsh and BurtG
I like the concept of the Fix so much that I actually bought it twice. (Definition of insanity......?)

The second time I went all out, 16" proof 6.5 barrel, big butt pad, short scope rail, the works. I even took an MPA chasis grip and drilled the AR holes in it so it would fit the Fix.

The truth is though, that I couldnt get either one of them to shoot.

I dont blame anything mechanical with the Fix, I think it was probably a very accurate rifle, especially the second one.

Eventually, I sold the second one as well, just could not make it work for me.

I've thought about it a lot though, and my conclusion is that because of the thin-ness of the butt stock, and something to do with the way the rifle recoils, it requires PERFECT technique EVERY time. A more perfect technique than I am able to maintain. IMO it's not the weight like everyone says, I can shoot featherweight hunting rifles fine, have done all my life, no the problem with the Fix is something to do with its shape.

This concept will be etherial if you havent actually shot the Fix, but I'll bet those that have will know what I'm saying.
Here I am sitting and thinking about buying the Fix the second time. And yup, what you are saying is 100% true. A great skills training rifle if one doesn’t mind the ammo cost and some of the frustrations around that skill training not advancing fast enough. But what if I get a Proof barrel and 6mm CM to help me with the handling of the rifle… and that is how these purchases are made again and again.

Reactions: Shrubjr
Here I am sitting and thinking about buying the Fix the second time. And yup, what you are saying is 100% true. A great skills training rifle if one doesn’t mind the ammo cost and some of the frustrations around that skill training not advancing fast enough. But what if I get a Proof barrel and 6mm CM to help me with the handling of the rifle… and that is how these purchases are made again and again.

Goood luck my friend! :) it is a wicked sweet lookin rifle, and I love that it folds!

I'm rockin a defiance anti-X with a 16" proof 6.5cm, in a manners PH now for my shorty. It doesnt fold, but I couldn't be happier with it! 👍😎

Reactions: nazarsh
Goood luck my friend! :) it is a wicked sweet lookin rifle, and I love that it folds!

I'm rockin a defiance anti-X with a 16" proof 6.5cm, in a manners PH now for my shorty. It doesnt fold, but I couldn't be happier with it! 👍😎
You are definitely convincing me to consider other options! 😄 I’ve been looking at Apollo Lite and trying to figure out what chassis would give me a similar feeling but also if I want to invest into a barrel burner 6mm while I am at it. Too many amazing options but I still can’t believe I stumbled upon your post before pulling the proverbial trigger 🙌

Reactions: Shrubjr

I ended up listening to your advice and I got a Sako S20 with a hunting configuration in 6.5PRC on sale for $999. What a purchase and what a gun. In fact this is my first hunting rifle and I am using it for skills building. You were absolutely right about so many points 🙌

I have a pre order fix with the B/T 308 barrel and a B/T 6 CM that had made later. It's definitely a learning curve to shoot. IIRC, the 308 barrel like 175 FGMM (2400fps) but not much else. I remember trying Lapua factory loaded 175 Scenar L and they were painful to shoot they were so hot and not too accurate. The FGMM is softer shooting and roughly .75 if I do my part. I had Tooley make a 6CM barrel same profile as the 308 and sent the barrel to Q for the barrel extension. It shoots just about anything well.

Reactions: nazarsh
I have a pre order fix with the B/T 308 barrel and a B/T 6 CM that had made later. It's definitely a learning curve to shoot. IIRC, the 308 barrel like 175 FGMM (2400fps) but not much else. I remember trying Lapua factory loaded 175 Scenar L and they were painful to shoot they were so hot and not too accurate. The FGMM is softer shooting and roughly .75 if I do my part. I had Tooley make a 6CM barrel same profile as the 308 and sent the barrel to Q for the barrel extension. It shoots just about anything well.
I’ve had such a good experience with mine, and customer service was incredibly responsive and helpful at least in my case. I’d definitely snag one again if I got a chance, probably in 20” ish Proof 6mm CM. But I am also enjoying tinkering with a Sako right now or more like that it shoots insanely well with my sloppy handling of a hunting stock since I have no experience with it.