• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The foreseeable future of the 300 aac blackout?

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
I am seriously considering converting my defensive carbine (S&W MP15) to the heavy hitting 300 blackout. I pieced together my rifle for engagements inside of 200 yds. Which I feel (from what I've read) the Blackout is capable of handling accurately.

I have 2 questions. Do you folks think I should follow the general rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And also, does anybody have any opinions or insight on the future of the AAC Blackout?

Thanks guys.

Well 30 cal projectiles aren't going anywhere, so what future are you worried about? 300blk was nothing new to begin with.. Go for it.

I've thought about doing the same but 300 blackout prices suck. That and in my opinion a 64 gr Winchester ranger round hits pretty good.

I think that 300 blackout has perhaps the most thoroughly assured future of any new cartridge I have seen released in at least the last 10 years. You can make it from 30 cal projectiles and .223 brass. If either of those stop being made we have much bigger problems on our hands.

Do you reload? If not, imo, don't get into 300blk. I love the round, it's about all I shoot anymore, but if I didn't reload I wouldn't think about it. It's extremely diverse round but the factory ammo is lacking imo. Rsilvers says there is lots of stuff coming but who knows when. If you reload its a great round. Oh and it will make you want an sbr and a suppressor.

Out of all of the whisper styled cartridges, I believe the blackout is the only one with strong longevity. Basic components followed by the support of the major cartridge and rifle companies make this one here to stay.

Love mine, stretched it out to 500 yesterday with some 125 smks. Had to dial 25moa to get there but it made it and still carried some authority when it hit the rock I was aiming for. With the can on it sounds like a loud air rifle chunking the 220 smks. At 75yds the 220 buried itself 4" deep in an oak tree so it packs plenty of punch in its given range. 110gr vmax play hell on coons that try and steal corn out of my feeder and the nosler 125 BTs do a fine job on the bigger animals.

If you're not going to utilize its quiet attributes then I'd go 6.8 but I've got a can and I love shooting the quiet rounds. It's also nice that I can shoot many of the same bullets out of my 308 and 300wm. Also really depends on your intended range. Since I'm moving one of my stands to where I need 600yd capability Ill be building a 6.8 upper to bring with me to the lease so I'm only two pins away from having the right round for the given stand I intend to hunt.

I believe 300 blackout should be a SBR suppressed. Only way to play.

This is pretty much my opinion as well. I'd love to have an 8" 300BLK upper to hang a suppressor on, but unless you're reloading, you're probably not missing out too much.

Gear is a fun thing to think about and discuss, but it's your skills that make that gear worthwhile. If I were choosing between dropping $800 on an upper and more on the reloading setup, I'd rather put that toward another couple carbine classes.

SBR ing it, yes. That was one of my original intentions. Suppressing it, yes in the future. My main intentions was for a heavy/heavier hitting caliber while finally getting to scratch this SBR itch I have had for a couple years. My thought process of selecting the blackout for this, was that I wouldn't need anything except a barrel. (So I've read) Then again I'm also considering a Sig 556 SBR. I guess its mostly the SBR itch.

I would love to take a few carbine and/or pistol classes. However I am not aware of any that are nearby.

Last edited:
I believe 300 blackout should be a SBR suppressed. Only way to play.

+1 right here. Great round for short distance and suppressed. I had one but have moved on the 6.8 spc which is more versatile to cut down the number of calibers I need to handload.
My max effective range for my loads on the 6.8 spc is 358 yards. Beyond that range I would opt for a 308 or my favorite - 300 WSM. I have a AR and a bolt in 308 and a bolt in 300 WSM. I have four ARs in 6.8 with different barrel lengths and optics.
I also have an M1A and an M4 just for old times sake. I have a 257 Weatherby mag and my next build will probably be a 6.5 Creedmore. Point being there are lots of options before I would go with the 300 blackout.

If youre wanting it for an sbr definitely go 300blk if you want it real quiet. If you mainly want an sbr I'd go 6.8, it packs more punch out of a short barrel. All depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

SBR ing it, yes. That was one of my original intentions. Suppressing it, yes in the future. My main intentions was for a heavy/heavier hitting caliber while finally getting to scratch this SBR itch I have had for a couple years. My thought process of selecting the blackout for this, was that I wouldn't need anything except a barrel. (So I've read) Then again I'm also considering a Sig 556 SBR. I guess its mostly the SBR itch.

I would love to take a few carbine and/or pistol classes. However I am not aware of any that are nearby.

From a cost perspective, start out with a SBR upper, find some factory ammo (sub and regular) and see if the round fits your needs (and scratches that itch).

Of course, you know you have to jump through all the ATF minutia for the SBR and/or a can.

I think the future is quite secure for the 300 BLK. Its a great round for a variety of shooting. I can't think of another high power round I can pop-off (suppressed) in my back yard without disturbing the neighbors (yea, I live in the country).

my 2cents,
gap

Like said, if you reload, the 300 will do find (within it's limits). I have not been able to see any. I haven't seen the ammo Rsilver promised either.
It is an excellent suppressed rifle/SBR.

It seems some here has not kept up with the 6.8. It can now even be found in Walmart(Federal Fusion). PSA has a sale on the Federal Fusion & Federal mil surplus from a foreign contract. Even when .223 is not available. Oh, during the panic.. I was able to find 6.8 ammo, brass & bullets. It was allot harder than pre-panic. But, doable.
In summary, the 6.8 isn't going away anytime soon either.

Last edited:
The only reason I would change would be if I decided to use a suppressor and actually wanted an AR to be quiet...other than that I'll just use my model 94 30/30 if I want slow moving 30 caliber projectiles out to 200yds as I don't see ANY advantage of a 300 BO if using it unsuppressed. I also think it will be a passing fad and when commercially available ammo sits on shelves for months on end it will be discontinued

Last edited:
I am seriously considering converting my defensive carbine (S&W MP15) to the heavy hitting 300 blackout. I pieced together my rifle for engagements inside of 200 yds. Which I feel (from what I've read) the Blackout is capable of handling accurately.

I have 2 questions. Do you folks think I should follow the general rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And also, does anybody have any opinions or insight on the future of the AAC Blackout?

Thanks guys.

Re: Defensive Purposes- Go fire a standard 5.56/.223 round in a confined space such as a hallway or room without hearing protection (don't do it, you will have permanent hearing damage) then fire a 220gr subsonic BLK round in the same space. Very different results.

The future of the round is irrelevant if you have a case trimmer and BLK dies. I have buckets of .223 brass and .30 cal projectiles as stated above aren't going anywhere anytime soon so I am not dependent on the continued production of the round since it is a .223 based case. There are many good arguments for the 6.8 but for me the BLK uses my std AR bolt and bcg.

Food for thought. HTH