• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns "The Gadget" prototype...

Richard@CSTactical

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2014
So I've had a few people ask me about "The Gadget" prototype that I have on my Glock 19, I honestly can't say much personally but I'll link others to more information on it.

Patent US20130000173 - Safety device for a striker fired weapon - Google Patents
And a detailed topic on it:
The Gadget REVEALED

IMG_20140618_202625_zpshpilrhnt.jpg

Richard @ CS Tactical

First post from one of the links above:

Safely Holstering a Striker Fired Gun: The Hardware Solution

As many of you know, one big advantage of a hammer fired gun is that it allows you to ride the hammer with your thumb as you holster, dramatically reducing the danger of suffering an accidental discharge whether it's your index finger, some piece of clothing, or part of your kit that gets inside the trigger guard. Downward pressure on the hammer counteracts upward pressure on the trigger, and more importantly any movement of the trigger is immediately felt by your thumb as the hammer starts to move.

Soon, a similar capability will be coming to striker fired (SFA) guns:

g17-4-closed2.jpg

g17-4-open2.jpg

(all intellectual property rights reserved to Tom Jones & Todd Louis Green)

The as-yet-unnamed gadget prevents the striker (and therefore the trigger) from moving when adequate force is applied to the hinged slide plate. Even if excessive force is put on the trigger, the operator gets a tactile "warning" through the slide plate when it begins to press into his thumb.

Another major design consideration was dealing with potential wear or even breakage. The "gadget" actually consists of two slide plates, one static and one hinged. The static plate remains in place even if the hinged part breaks or falls off, retaining the striker just like a standard stock Glock slide plate. All you lose is the added safety while holstering... the pistol continues to function 100% reliably.

While the patent process is in full swing and we've begun field testing, we cannot answer too many questions about it yet. We also can't predict when the gadget will be available commercially. But because Tom and I are both shooting guns with this installed and other field testers will be getting theirs before too long, it seemed appropriate to announce its existence now rather than wait until people started asking about the mysterious moving slide cover plate on our Glocks.

Man, that's a great idea... I know several people who refuse to carry striker-fired guns for that exact reason.

Novel idea. Not for me though. I was a bit perplexed in the link though. I've never met anyone who naturally lowered the hammer on their pistol to reholster. I do hope he sells a bunch of them though. It's a clever concept with good looking execution.

Novel idea. Not for me though. I was a bit perplexed in the link though. I've never met anyone who naturally lowered the hammer on their pistol to reholster. I do hope he sells a bunch of them though. It's a clever concept with good looking execution.

Not sure what you mean, the hammer isn't lowered while reholstering but they refer to the thumb on a decoked hammer during holstering to make sure a foreign object isn't pulling the trigger.

I've never met anyone who naturally lowered the hammer on their pistol to reholster.

I dont know anybody that carries a DA/SA gun that DOESNT de-cock the gun prior to holstering. Only 1911 guys seem to carry cocked and locked. I know there are a few DA/SA guns that you can safely carry cocked and locked, but that list is very small.

I dont know anybody that carries a DA/SA gun that DOESNT de-cock the gun prior to holstering. Only 1911 guys seem to carry cocked and locked. I know there are a few DA/SA guns that you can safely carry cocked and locked, but that list is very small.

Exactly, I was confused by what he meant of "naturally lowered" :)

Richard