• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Grocery List...

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
Ok. Everyone is talking about eating clean, and healthy meals. Here's your thread.

Post up healthy foods ala cart that you get at the grocery store, this way the rest of us can pick and choose the foods we like and eat clean.

Post up unhealthy foods pretending to be healthy

Recipes.

You get the idea.

I'll post some stuff of my own asap, but for the most part I'm the one needing the info. Lol

Re: The Grocery List...

Here's a short list;
Whole Grain, Whole Wheat Bread, Wraps, Pasta
Chicken
Turkey
Eggs & Whites
Sea Salt
Grass Feed Beef
All Veggies
Fruit
Uncle Bens Brown Rice & Wild Rice (not the white type either)
Oatmeal
Koshi Brand Waffles (whole wheat/grain)
Almonds
Sweet Potatos
100% all natural orange juice
Bottle Water
Organic Peanut Butter
Honey

No Sugar, candy, cakes, white bread, white pasta, white rice, cokes or soft drinks, energy drinks, most cereals and fruit juices to name a few of my donts.

beef
chicken
eggs
salmon
broccolli
almonds
cashews
apples
green beans
strawberries
grapes
lara bars

that is the bulk of my normal daily food

Ditto on the almonds. I have pretty much eliminated chips from my diet and replaced them with almonds.

Another good one is salmon and other fatty fish (and any other fish in general). Just be wary of how you prepare it (butter, etc).

Granola. Quick, easy, and filling. W/ milk its good as breakfast or any other "between" meal

my list

sirloin
boneless chicken breast
blueberries
strawberries
raspberries
diet dr pepper
ozarka water

and mcdonalds, and whataburger

i rarely hit a grocery store, only a couple times a month, but here is what i have on hand at all times:

grass finished beef, pork, chicken, wild salmon, chicken breasts, shrimp
fresh vegetables/salad/green
fresh fruits
olive oil, coconut oil, lard/beef tallow
pastured eggs
almonds
almond butter
whole milk (raw if possible)
spring water (i live in the mountains so it comes out of my faucet)
unsweetened teas

my occasional limited carb/starch/grain intake consists of:

sweet potatoes, potatoes
ezekial bread/quesadilla shells
occasional pasta (italian wife)

my current favorite dish might be salmon

i put a little lemon flavored grape seed oil on it then top it off with crushed cashews and just a smidge of parmsean

it is really good, plenty of protein and good fats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i rarely hit a grocery store, only a couple times a month, but here is what i have on hand at all times:

grass finished beef, pork, chicken, wild salmon, chicken breasts, shrimp
fresh vegetables/salad/green
fresh fruits
olive oil, coconut oil, lard/beef tallow
pastured eggs
almonds
almond butter
whole milk (raw if possible)
spring water (i live in the mountains so it comes out of my faucet)
unsweetened teas

my occasional limited carb/starch/grain intake consists of:

sweet potatoes, potatoes
ezekial bread/quesadilla shells
occasional pasta (italian wife)

</div></div>
this is the absolute best list so far....no gimmick stuff, just shit that works, and that humans were meant to eat!

good job sir!

my grocery store is in my backyard...
canned:
tomatoes, corn, salsa, onions, potatoes, peppers, cucumbers...
in the barn:
whole milk pasteurized, grade AAA homegrown eggs.
in the field:
100% homegrown SD beef, wheat, corn, elk, deer, antelope, grouse/prairie chicken, and pheasant... and the sweetest tasting, purest sand hills water out of the northern end of the ogallala aquifer.

I just stick to the four major food groups,

1. Beer
2. Lard
3. Salt
4. Chocolate
wink.gif

You may want to pick up a book called Food Rules before your next grocery trip. It gives 64 quick 'rules' to follow when looking for food to eat. If you read it and really get those tips in your head, it will make a huge difference in your grocery list. Over the last month, it's become something I grab often when I sit down at my desk for a few minutes. Our grocery shopping has changed a lot in the last month as well, for the better.

Broccoli
Tomatoes
Spinach or kale
Avocados
Berries (Blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries mostly)
Apples and Bananas
Free range chicken
Almonds and cashews (unsalted)
Extra virgin olive oil
salmon or tuna
endamame (shelled)-makes a great snack, just microwave

I also pick up jalapenos and fresh garlic if I plan to make healthy guac from the avocados

I'll grab some coconut milk for a shake, mixed with the berries/bananas. Also check out this shake if you are working out regularly:
http://www.draxe.com/superhuman-shake-for-strength-and-muscle-2/

Also, if possible, pick up the veggies from local farmer's markets' Locally grown vegetables (and local honey) helps allergies sufferers. Try taking a tablet or two a day of alfalfa tabs also.

Wow, some of you guys are creative with your meals. Props to yall for making healthy eating tasty!

I shop bi-weekly. I bring home LOTS of eggs, chicken, almonds, potatoes, bananas & milk. As others here have outlined, I prepare most of the weeks meals on Sunday. What I really need is another refrigerator because dozens of eggs, and 30 pre-cooked meals, take up a ton of space.

My first breakfast consists of:

1 scoop whey protein
2 cups oatmeal
1 banana
6 eggs
3 cups 1% milk

Put it all in a blender and chug. Wala, 1500 calories down.

The next three meals, when I am serious about eating, consist of baked potatoes, chicken, and some olive oil/almonds/avacado, and a post workout protein shake.

Dinner is whatever my lovely wife serves.

Evening 1300 calorie shake consists of:

2 scoops whey protein
2 cups oatmeal
1 banana
2 cups rice milk
1 cup of something tasty, like juice, Lifeway Organic Smoothy, or Naked.

I don't know what I would do without a blender!
-Chris

Can someone give some input on a good chicken recipe besides the bland baked or grilled chicken I've become used to making......Looking for something to moisten it up a bit.

I got this from someone on here and it is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Starting with trimmed, lean chicken breast, I pounded it to about 1/4 thick with a meat mallet. Placed on foil-lined cookie sheet, and brushed meat with EVOO on both sides. Then I seasoned it with Dillo Dust, and drizzled it with some balsamic vinegar. Baked @ 400 degrees for 30 min (or until temp was OK in thickest part).</div></div>

when you bake your chicken , ligthly coat the bottom of a 9x13x2" deep pan with olive oil (just a light wipe down with a paper town soaked with it) seaosn the bottol of the pan with lemon pepper or what every spices you like , lay the bonless skinless breast in their so they are all toucking like a can od sardines then season the top , cover tightly with aluminum foil.
let chicken sit to get room temp , preheat oven to 400 deg.
put chicken in for 20 min then remove and check temp with meat thermometer , 155-160 deg and its done !!! anything over that and it will dry out

somthing else i have noticed is that buying the regualr split breast and cutting the bone and skin off yourself ends up being a bit more juicy and cheaper

take chicken breasts (or strips, cubes, whatever) and fill a sealable bowl full of cheap italian dressing and let marinate overnight in the fridge. Then grill or bake them. Adds some flavor and easy, makes great kabobs also.

also, slice a pocket into the breast and fill it with low fat ricotta cheese and whatever else you like that you can fit. I like brocollini or sprouts, but peppers (green, red, etc) are great too. bakes best in a dish and not flat. Find one small enough that they touch and stand upright where the ricotta doesn't ooze out while cooking.

I have also take a reynolds baking bag and used a can of coke to bake a breast or two with. Juicy and has a nice flavor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crazy Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone give some input on a good chicken recipe besides the bland baked or grilled chicken I've become used to making......Looking for something to moisten it up a bit. </div></div>
i had the same problem and i would always switch around my recipe, and proteins....

but then i just started grilling chicken..shredding it...dip in franks red hot sauce...and eat it with a side of blueberries

For moist chicken...use a covered porcelain pot.
This roasts and steams it.
Flavor use...Montreal Chicken Seasoning an cook 50 minutes at 350 degrees (we use a convection oven) prob 15 min longer for a conventional baking oven

get a "bean pot" from celebrating homes. chicken,pork or beef in, with a jar of homemade (or store bought) salsa, bake 325 for an hour or 2 till done and tender. it's one of them can't fawkitup kinda things. it saved my marriage
smile.gif
J/K, she's a good cook, but it seems like anything that comes out of this stupid pot is DANG yummy and as healthy as you want to make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you bake your chicken , ligthly coat the bottom of a 9x13x2" deep pan with olive oil (just a light wipe down with a paper town soaked with it) seaosn the bottol of the pan with lemon pepper or what every spices you like , lay the bonless skinless breast in their so they are all toucking like a can od sardines then season the top , cover tightly with aluminum foil.
let chicken sit to get room temp , preheat oven to 400 deg.
put chicken in for 20 min then remove and check temp with meat thermometer , 155-160 deg and its done !!! anything over that and it will dry out

somthing else i have noticed is that buying the regualr split breast and cutting the bone and skin off yourself ends up being a bit more juicy and cheaper </div></div>

I agree completely! I coat the breast with olive oil and season. Bake at 400 for aprox 20 min. I would say if it is dry, you are likely over cooking it. Using a meat thermometer was the best thing done, to keep the meat from drying out.