• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"The Hide" Inspired Big Dog Steel Reactive Target

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So I asked Ryan over at Big Dog Steel to build me a Steel target with a head and body that reacted differently when hit. I had seen his Headhunter Series life size head targets and I wanted that target incorporated with a chest plate. The idea was for the head to react one way with the chest plate reacting in different way so the observer can tell which was hit.

Most chest plates have the small square heads like a IPSC type, and I wanted something more realistic while allowing the user the same portability as seen with your standard plates.

Ryan came up with this target, <span style="font-style: italic">(We haven't given it a name as far as I know) </span>

bigdogsteel-1.jpg

Here is a close up;

bigdogsteel-2.jpg

So I took this target out and shot a short video demonstrating the reaction as seen from both up close and at 550 yards away.

The plate is AR500 and held up very well, even a shot to the "ear' of the target showed no sign of deformity on the plate.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nK88AxCEGTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<span style="font-style: italic">you can watch this video is HD if the mirage is too much to see the steel move on the small setting. </span>

This was exactly what I was looking for, a realistic precision rifle target that reacted to both head and body shots in a different manner so you can clearly see and hear which was hit as opposed to it being a one piece target with a square head.

I don't believe they are listed on the site and I am not sure Ryan has finalized this design, but I wanted to show my initial shots taken on this design as I think he did a great job with it.

Straight on:
    bigdogsteel3.jpg

As shown in the video you can also put clothes on the target for an even more realistic look.

Re: "The Hide" Inspired Big Dog Steel Reactive Target

Very nice job with it.

It looks like that monster thing from I am Legend.

Would Legend be an appropriate name?

Saw the video on Facebook last night!! What a great idea!

Frank looks like you are getting your range set up real nice

Very impressive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I asked Ryan over at Big Dog Steel to build me a Steel target with a head and body that reacted differently when hit. I had seen his Headhunter Series life size head targets and I wanted that target incorporated with a chest plate. The idea was for the head to react one way with the chest plate reacting in different way so the observer can tell which was hit.

Most chest plates have the small square heads like a IPSC type, and I wanted something more realistic while allowing the user the same portability as seen with your standard plates.

Ryan came up with this target, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">(We haven't given it a name as far as I know)</span> </span>
    </div></div>

Given your involvement in this project, I would suggest "Frankensteel Reactive Target"

i would buy one of these in a heartbeat...

But my one question.... when you hit the head where is the bullet going to go once the head tilts back and the bullet bounces off?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would buy one of these in a heartbeat...

But my one question.... when you hit the head where is the bullet going to go once the head tilts back and the bullet bounces off? </div></div>

If you look you can see the splash on the angled piece of steel between the head and chest.

The head is much thicker than the chest so it takes more energy to move it, but all indications were it splashed down.

I know Thunder Valley is using the Head Hunter Target which is just the reactive head alone, so maybe they can shed some light on that better, but from my use it appears to be splashing down also... there is a bit of a forward angle to it all. And in the video I don't see any splash behind the target after hitting the head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruze5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But my one question.... when you hit the head where is the bullet going to go once the head tilts back and the bullet bounces off? </div></div>

Bullets don't "bounce off" of AR500 steel. They will fragment upon impact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice.

Wish I could set 4x4's in at the local range without idiots stapling targets to them. </div></div>

They make a cool portable 4x4 stand too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whoshotya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    cruze5 said:
    Bullets don't "bounce off" of AR500 steel. They will fragment upon impact. </div></div>

Picked up some pretty damn big "fragments" at 800-1000 yards. Many loads don't quite have the velocity to "fragment" at that range. Thankfully they also don't have a lot of velocity to head off in a new direction and do too much damage.

It's not something I would worry about unless you have occupied structures nearby. If that's the case, then I would re-think your range layout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whoshotya</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    cruze5 said:
    Bullets don't "bounce off" of AR500 steel. They will fragment upon impact. </div></div>

Picked up some pretty damn big "fragments" at 800-1000 yards. Many loads don't quite have the velocity to "fragment" at that range. Thankfully they also don't have a lot of velocity to head off in a new direction and do too much damage.

It's not something I would worry about unless you have occupied structures nearby. If that's the case, then I would re-think your range layout. </div></div>

Copy... My observations were geared toward shooting the "HeadHunter" 300-600 yards. As you can see in LL's pics, the bullet fragments in a radial pattern. I've seen a few times that when a little birdie pirches on top of Mr. Cleans head he dont stand a fightin chance.

With the head portion having the adjustable tension feature, I would bet you could set it to accommodate whatever caliber you are shooting, exception the really big bore stuff.

When you get some spare time, it would be cool to see a video of the target, with clothing, at unknown distances....maybe with some foreign obstruction along with it, i.e brush, fencing, or old car. Just an idea.

Also, great job on the vid quality, actually, audio and video. I get tired of watching videos here and there that just plain suck. Yours are clear, put together well, and easy to watch.

I'd buy one if Big Dog Steel produces more of these!!

We use 12"x12" AR attached to the post for a chest hit...it's mounted with a bolt through the 4"x4" and when hit moves very nicely.
    As far as bullet splatter the chest plate and head deflects the fragments out to the sides and down. There is a rut worn in the ground about 8 FEET either side of the post depending on how high the target/head sits.

Well done and looks like a practical setup for pratice.
    I'm interested as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice.

Wish I could set 4x4's in at the local range without idiots stapling targets to them. </div></div>

Or trying to see how many shot it takes to blow one in half.

Frank STOP shooting yourself!

Target looks great, more fun than a shoot-n-see.

Wish I could set 4x4's in at the local range without idiots stapling targets to them.</div></div>

Go to Lowe's some other such lumber supply place and get these http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/ezfence.asp

My local range won't let me place posts permanently. These can be pounded in just far enough to hold for your session and can easily pulled and taken home. I have been using quite a few of Ryan's target and this solution works very well. I haven't had a chance to try the full size elk and deer targets that he made for me, but I want to see how this solution works for that application.

I hope this helps.

RB

I would also be interested in picking up one as well as a portable stand
    thanx

Thats bad ass nice work guys!!

I'd be interested in one as well!!

What do you have against Jason Statham?

Wow, glad you guys like them. I know Tom Sarver and crew over at TVP have used the head targets for months and they are still going strong on Tom's new "Head Hunter" course. The original "Texas Head Targets" we created last year for an officer in Texas were morphed into the head hunter target for Tom @ TVP. If you are local I highly suggest you go shoot the headhunter. It is a real blast and shooting reactive heads from 300-600 yards is quite a challenge.

Frank's idea changed the set up again, quite a bit actually, and we came up with a mount that I hope fits what Frank was trying to achieve with the independent head and chest targets. We actually went through 2.5 prototypes to get it how we wanted it.

In regards to bullet fragmentation, from my experience by the time the heads start to tilt back the bullet is already vaporized. The heads have a slight angle to them. The weight in the front of the target also pulls the target more forward in the mount and induces slightly more angle. The chest plates angle is also adjustable by tightening up the bolts.

We are working on getting more parts together to move into production of the head targets. I've come up with a slightly modified hinge that will be all laser cut AR400 and should offer plenty of strength while making fabrication just a smidge easier for us. We should be ready to roll with these in approx. 2 weeks. If there is enough interest I would be happy to put together a group buy.

Also, as some of you may know my father inlaw, who is also my right hand man at Big Dog Steel, had a sudden attack of seizures this past week. This is the first time anything like this has happened. He is a very healthy man, and doesn't drink or smoke. I think this may be the first time I've really even seen him sick in the 14 years that I've known him. We ended up finding out the cause was a grade3-4 brain tumor. It has been removed but he is still on the fence and has been in ICU since Tuesday afternoon. He is a veteran, served in Vietnam as a sergeant in the Marine Corp. Please keep us/him in your thoughts and if so inclined your prayers as well.

Thanks!
    -Ryan

Big Dog Steel
    www.bigdogsteel.com

Steel can wait...take care of your family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank STOP shooting yourself!

Target looks great, more fun than a shoot-n-see. </div></div>

I wasn't going to mention the remarkable resemblance...
    And it's a very tall target as well.
    edit. Just read about your father-in-law. Best wishes and prayers sent as well.

Make sure the target comes with a stencil so we can touch up the scary face! That sure puts the finishing touch on the target. I hope your father in law has a speedy recovery.

Best wishes and prays for your father-in-law and family.

I'd be interested in group buy info as well.

I have the Headhunter already and love it from 300-500m. Can this new system be applied to my existing target?

NoveSPR - You could use the actual head target but the top mount it attaches to as well as the front plate are very different.

So I basically need a "kit" sans head... If thats possible, LMK and what you'd need for it to go to 60963.

I'm sure we could make that happen. When things start to calm down a little more I'll go through the numbers for the Group Buy, it looks like interest is good.

Add another to the list.

Yeah I must admit Id dig one as well

definitely 1 for sure. 2 if the price is right.