• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Hurt Locker

Re: The Hurt Locker

Saw a screening last month. Pretty damned good for a war flick. It works well as a story and is engaging (ie you actually feel a bit of emotional investment in the characters), but the reality of OIF is still hard to match perfectly in a film. They do a good job though and it's worth seeing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw a screening last month. Pretty damned good for a war flick. It works well as a story and is engaging (ie you actually feel a bit of emotional investment in the characters), but the reality of OIF is still hard to match perfectly in a film. They do a good job though and it's worth seeing. </div></div>

Alright thanks for the heads up.

its in limited release right now. new york and LA. if it does good (which it will) it will go wider. it was filmed in Jordan.
the actors trained at Fort Irwin.

saw this already, pretty good movie.id watch again.

I thought it was a good show. Finally an Iraq war movie with zero politics. There wasn't really a strong plot; it was mostly the day to day events from one situation to another.

The sniper scene is interesting.
smile.gif

I should point out that this film doesn't have much of a plot and consists of mostly a series of EOD vingnettes strung together. They are, however, very exciting and suspenseful and worth the price of admission, in my opinion. However, for anyone who fought in OIF you will see lots of little things they got right and things they got wrong, and two things in particular that are VERY wrong - but if you can look past it you'll have a good movie going experience.

This is a new movie? IMDB says it was released last year.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887912/

I saw it in my wife's People mag and looked it up because I had never heard of it and it looked good. Will be keeping an eye out for it locally if it comes around.

It's in limited release, playing in a few theaters in LA and NY (Black Hawk Down was the same way back in 2001) - it'll hit wide release in a month or so.

Saw it yesterday. My wife and I left and as soon as we walked out she said, "I know what scene you liked the best."
I liked the movie I would see it again.
jack

By the way I saw it in Boca Raton, FL

Its funny, I have had this on DVD for roughly 5 months over here, I went home and was watching TV they were pushing the release comercials, I was like WTF,

Its a good movie, was filmed on the jordan Iraq border if I remember right. Just funny about the release though

Yup...it had lots of problems.

Watched it last Friday, it was interesting but I'd have to give it a one star. It had a "documentary" feel to it, little or no conventional "movie" plot and felt like an attempt to just make a dollar.

The Iraqi insurgent sniper making first round hits at EXTREMELY long range shooting an SVD was way over the top.

Big prop's to the EOD guys!!!!! If it is ANYTHING like what is portrayed then they deserve major accolades!

Took my two kids yesterday to show them the difference between x-box and reality.
GOD bless those serving who give us so much and ask for so little and sometimes do their jobs with even less!

i saw it yesterday. great movie. like what was said above, i felt a personal investment during a few of the scenes and related to the personal struggle these men had as they did their jobs. really great movie... i'm becoming more of a fan of movies like this that concentrate and hone in on a particular aspect of a larger conflict. it seems to make it a bit more personal and the details become more important and aren't lost like they are in more broad films. i liked this movie specifically for that reason. i also liked "body of lies" and "black hawk down" for similar reasons...

never having been directly involved with most of particulars of this kind of movie i can't say how realistic and true to form the depiction of the events are. i can say the barrett scene is a bit hokey, but all in all during that scene i certainly got the point. i understand waiting a great length of time for your opportunity, combined with allowing another to reach their potential, and giving aid to somebody who wouldn't ordinarily ask for it...

all in all a great flick... some pretty big characters had some minor roles too. kind of neat...

From what I've heard it was released straight to DVD last year in limited areas and then pulled to be re released in the theaters w/more money backing it for advertising. Nice thing is that I already downloaded it in DVD quality and we're going to watch it with some friends in the next couple of nights. From thew previews I've seen as well as the first 15min or so it looks pretty good.

I actually walked out on it before the ending, but i did walk into to it without
the intent to over critique and compare it to things i personaly experianced there or anything.
But after the sniper scene i was like this is gay. It was like i figured it was going to be
before hand with EOD running around saving the day and the infantry boys not doing there jobs right somehow and going back to the sniper scene those SAS boys or whatever they were a couple of them get shot so the rest of the team basicly says fuck it and racks out or whatever...............come on.

Haven't seen it, but I had dinner with a couple Navy EOD buddies the other night. They thought it was silly and said a military adviser was either not on the set or incompetent. Said even the non-military audience will have a hard time suspending disbelief for some of the scenes if they have any common sense. Normally not an issue, but this is being touted as the most realistic film depiction of the war in Iraq to come along, yet. Funny, since I doubt anyone reviewing it has ever set foot there. They're probably noticing that it looks dusty, just like on CNN.

Say what you want about the film, but I greatly enjoyed it. I was amped after pulling out the new Star Trek so I basically decided to go right into another movie that I had planned on seeing. In terms of Iraqi realism and duels between insurgent SVD's and contractors bearing SASR's, I would say that these things were just peripheral events that allowed your brain to consider all of the cats and dogs involved in a large play, and your brain needed to focus elsewhere for a minute here and there once the protagonist was back in his rack, pulling from a fifth and smoking a cig while cranking some heavy metal.

I was once certified with demo and was qualified as an assault breacher. The instructors at the latter school were top notch and most have been in the job this movie portrays for multiple tours. Despite being retired, quarterly I am required to attend a demo and IED briefing by one of the Corps' oldest demo men. We normally get to blow some charges, C-4, TNT, ring mains and such. I have always depended on EOD support and it has never let me down.

Again, these are peripheral issues that mean nothing.

To say that the scenes are unrealistic or that the plot was merely a bunch of actors in scenes that are spliced together is to miss the simple beauty of this film. In this regard, the analysis would be correct. I do not for a minute think that it was created to allow one to experience service in Iraq, even if it was marketed as such. It would be like thinking you were a soldier once, and young, just because you purchased a multi-spectral camouflage backpack and a scoped rifle.

The crux of this movie is that one man is willing to don a suit and walk with great purpose toward something so greatly more powerful than he, time and time again. It is as if he climbs into a casket and then waits a few minutes to see if he is allowed to live or the hatch will be nailed shut, forever. Rather than dwelling on the horrible finalness that could be, he uses deep focus to concentrate on the job he has volunteered to do. And the adrenaline rush is so much stronger than any that can be found in the humdrum nothing of a basic daily life, which he can no long cope with because of the simplicity perhaps…. The conclusion of a mission is success, and life, for him and others that he supports. Or, being instantly transformed into pulp. And so, the truly great scene, repeated often with dramatic effect, is 1 man very purposefully donning his suit and putting one foot in front of the other and taking that first step down a difficult road toward his destiny no matter how powerfully transforming, and transfiguring, it may become. And it did.

In my mind, the movie was powerful, no pun intended, because of what is not said. So, many that read this, hopefully, will see the questions and representation of manhood.

Whether you don a bomb suit, a vest of armor, an LEO badge, a fireman’s hat, a carpenter’s belt, a tool box, or the sometimes heavy mantle of being a father, knowing the increasing complexities and dangers of this world, that lone sergeant and his purposeful, slow walk toward his destiny represented your life in so very many ways.

The camera, vividly, and from behind, allows the thoughtful to take pause, and consider.

Forty-One, you could have just said:
" I liked it. You guys that didn't are retards".
laugh.gif

Just kiddin'. Insightful post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To say that the scenes are unrealistic or that the plot was merely a bunch of actors in scenes that are spliced together is to miss the simple beauty of this film.</div></div>Just for the sake of argument,
wink.gif

I see a distorted electronic parable with an oversimplified and simplistic message that a lone Sergeant can do good by acquiescing to his role as a functionary in a chaotic system that has otherwise lost its moral bearings.

That makes the movie not story, but scripted ritual. The plot is sufficient only to drive-on a dogmatic ritualistic violence freed to roam in an HD world of electronic death. It's catharsis, nothing more.

And it's not art, it's the hijacking of art by the image - meaning that it's an intentional bypass of relevant intelligent filmaking for the sake of clever effects that don't even pretend to relate to a reality that we know exists.

And all the while the camera is confused about what it is doing there, unable to turn itself off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To say that the scenes are unrealistic or that the plot was merely a bunch of actors in scenes that are spliced together is to miss the simple beauty of this film.</div></div>Just for the sake of argument,
wink.gif

I see a distorted electronic parable with an oversimplified and simplistic message that a lone Sergeant can do good by acquiescing to his role as a functionary in a chaotic system that has otherwise lost its moral bearings.

That makes the movie not story, but scripted ritual. The plot is sufficient only to drive-on a dogmatic ritualistic violence freed to roam in an HD world of electronic death. It's catharsis, nothing more.

And it's not art, it's the hijacking of art by the image - meaning that it's an intentional bypass of relevant intelligent filmaking for the sake of clever effects that don't even pretend to relate to a reality that we know exists.

And all the while the camera is confused about what it is doing there, unable to turn itself off. </div></div>

What does that mean? Have you seen Julia and Julia. Best sniper movie I've seen in some time, except for the duck scene...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icemanlb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone feel the sniper scene was a bit unrealistic??</div></div>
It took to many shots for him hit his mark with the type of equipment he was using and no blood with the hits.. i have never seen anybody shot with a .50 but i assume it would be messy.

The best equipment in the world doesn't mean shit if you aren't trained to use it. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think your average EOD technician spends a lot of time sniping.

As a whole, the movie wasn't very realistic. EOD does not roll one truck alone all over the damn city. For part of my tour I was attatched as part of their security and overwatch element. And yes they are trained in the use of .50 sniper rifles. Some teams had MCM TAC-50 and others M82's. Its for long range ordinance detonation.

It was a good entertaining movie, I always have a problem with the cheesey military tactics. Kinda funny that some Gohmer with a SVD can wipe out 4-5 contractors with a Barret at 800 meters. Couple good burst from the M2 would of ripped that building in two!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and make a running head shot at 800 or whatever...</div></div>

I think it was actually a 300 meter gut shot. I'm kind of on the fence about it. I knew going into it that it was episodic but I didn't connect with the actors at all. I own it so I'll give another shot soon.

I saw the DVD at Barnes and Noble so will have to get it after reading these reviews. thanks.

I liked it. I've seen worse. My $0.02 It's always fun to see sniping in a movie and none of them get it right most of the time anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Most of the movie he's just doing his job </div></div>
This is what made it awful. Terrible film. No one will appreciate t.

For it's artistic expresssion, this film will be largely disregarded! It makes me want to drive to Alabama and present myself to the already tenured science department staffs as a loser...

i could have swore he said 340yards..something like that not 800

Great movie, watched it twice. If you watch it on DVD watch the interviews. There are interesting stories of shooting the movie in Jordan, and also trying to obtain an M9, and the smoke grenade.

Uh, since when do EOD techs make good impromptu snipers? That scene was pretty unreal.

Plus, that guy's attitude would have definitely kept him in stitches and shiners all the time.

Just watched it the other night. Good movie. Like one of the earlier comments, reality of OIF is hard to do. Still a good movie though.