• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The latest 375 H&H Safari rifle

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I've been meaning to get this one off the ground but we've been swamped. I finally got rolling on it this week. I'll try to keep you guys posted as we go. I pulled down all our Facebook stuff because I just haven't had much time since our little Hannah arrived.
Only time for so much in a given day. So here's where we are so far:

I still have to cut the slots for the extractor.

Don't worry the older Hanna gets the less time you'll have. You'll blink and she'll be starting school dance and everything else you can think of. I know my little girl started kindergarten this year. You have less time to build guns and I have less money to buy them. Lol. Oh yeah looks like another nice rifle in the works, but that's just stating the obvious.

KJ

Yep I could not agree more, spend the time with the kids before they are off on their own.

Looks like you are off to a good start, what plans do you have for a stock on this one?

Jered, will this one be similar to your Mannlicher or completely different? BTW, it's been a slow night here at work, I've watched all your Africa vids again, excellent job. One can almost taste the dust and smell the sweat and blood of the hunt. Gotta have a pair of lungs to chase those eland huh? :D
Do you have any plans to go back soon?

Yeah those darn Eland are fast. It's crazy how fast they can cover ground! We were after that one for a few miles.

This stock will be a standard stock. No Mannlicher this go around. I don't have the wood yet. He is still deciding what he wants.

Chasing eland is a bit like chasing elk.

At the time ...it seems like the thing to do. Later, when your bone ass tired and still haven't caught up with them...NOT such a good idea.

I forgot about this one also. I am glad to see it being brought back up. I enjoy seeing your work, and look forward to seeing this one finished. Thank you for taking the time!

Back to the top.

Love the British style stock, I can't understand why this style is not more common than the usual American 2x4. Is this being set up for open sights or a scope?

The H&H is easier to find ammo for in Africa if something happens to your own. That is some beautiful wood!

It's out for checkering so not much to report at the moment.

Well this is new:

Coming to one exited GA boy soon. I'm having a double made in Germany as we speak. I'm excited to have someone build me a gun. I kinda like the idea. It's a lot more fun on the consumer side of things than spending so many countless hours on the bastard that you hate to look at it when your'e finished.

That's a fine piece of wood there Jered! Measurements are in American so I assume you came up with the blank stateside? What kind of wood is it? Beautiful heavy grain too, right where it belongs!

It's California English Walnut. If I believed in being authentic I wouldn't have thrown that wood on a traditional double. It really freaked them out a bit but It's my rifle and I want what I want.
One thing I learned in this business is you can make suggestions but at the end of the day don't tell a customer how to spend his money unless it's a safety issue because it's their baby. That's exactly the case here.

What kind of double are you getting built? Traditional irons or claw mounts?

It's a Heym.
I'm one of those that believes glass simply doesn't belong on a double. It was meant to be up close and personal with nasty critters. Just plain irons for me. If you are going to shoot something with an optic you should have a 375 H&H. It's a great cartridge with a ton of killing penetration. One of the 375's I builds has killed everything from Kliff Springer to a few elephant. It's the most versatile cartridge you could have over there. However when the rubber meets the road nothing says stop like a 500g solid.

I recently saw a nice double that had a removable Trijicon RMR. I like the concept of the RMR on a double although it isn't traditional. I toyed with the idea of how to mount one and I'm still not sure. I would want it removable...but it needs something solid to mount to. I will be in London in a few months and I am tempted to go by the new home of Rigby Rifles and discuss. I always wanted a truly bespoke dangerous game rifle.

I don't care for the RMR either. When the rifle is properly fit for you the sights aren't so much of an issue. It should be very natural. If you practice correctly there isn't much aiming involved when it's close. It's just a natural motion
like shooting a shotgun. The RMR doesn't give me that because my eye is looking for that dot instead of staying on target. To each his own I guess but I will say this. If my target is inside 50 yards and I throw my 375 up, the moment the pad makes
good contact with my shoulder I pull the trigger and something just died. And that's without "aiming". It will do it at 100 as well but because of the extra distance there is a brief verification process of maybe a second before she barks.
You don't need any sort of optic to do that. Just a properly fit stock and proper form.