• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors "The Mute"

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    Anyone seen or heard about this? Supposedly it's a 119db 5.56 can with a 5" minimum barrel length restriction...For $599... They also have a 9mm and .22LR can.

Anyone know if this is legit?

Website link: https://the-mute.com

https://the-mute.com/?product=the-mute-suppressor

THE-MUTE-556.jpeg

It appears to be FDM printed. If so, the can ain't gonna look absolutely perfect every time.

I saw some videos showing absurdly quiet ratings, but the gunshots did not "sound" like subs at all.

If it is FDM printed, $599 they are running obscene profits. Not sure how they are mitigating temps, looks like some neat design work there, but unless there is a metal thread insert (and even if there is) I'm curious how they are keeping something from loosening up if your barrel gets smoking hot.

There are 3d printing polymers (PEEK, PEKK, PAEK, some others) that can take crazy hot temps. None in the powder based world, and I'm pretty certain this is not an SLA print.

Anxious to hear more. As some extremely into printing, this is the next level....but if this were my product I'd be all about noting every little detail if it's something truly unique with high barriers to entry. If it's just a cool new high temp polymer on an industrial FDM machine, they're gonna have cheaper competition coming soon and they'll likely all have the same hotass barrel/attachment point issue you run into with plastic.

Reactions: FuhQ and bunny too
    Sorry. But unless Pew Science reviews it themselves. I would take that suppression number with a literal grain of salt. If they are unwilling to send one for a T&E to them so that they can be independently tested, that should be all you need to know in order to steer clear.

In the video it's clearly loud as shit, and their design seems to copy the OSS suppressor design, which is great for reducing gas blowback in an AR, but not very quiet at the muzzle.

I'm guessing that the sound meter was on the other side of the glass 🤷‍♂️

Anyone seen or heard about this? Supposedly it's a 119db 5.56 can with a 5" minimum barrel length restriction...For $599... They also have a 9mm and .22LR can.

Anyone know if this is legit?

Website link: https://the-mute.com

https://the-mute.com/?product=the-mute-suppressor

View attachment 7574988
    I would tend to think this is a false claim.

119 db out of a 5.56? I don't think so. I call BS.

The only way that would be at all possible is to use a really bad meter or use special ammo for the test.

Reactions: Animal357
    Sorry. But unless Pew Science reviews it themselves. I would take that suppression number with a literal grain of salt. If they are unwilling to send one for a T&E to them so that they can be independently tested, that should be all you need to know in order to steer clear.
    I do this with everything... But since there's no info out there on it, I'm simply going by what they advertise because it seems ridiculously low...I've never heard of a 5.56 can getting below 130.

I do this with everything... But since there's no info out there on it, I'm simply going by what they advertise because it seems ridiculously low...I've never heard of a 5.56 can getting below 130.
    It's definitely fake. There are a number of videos and podcasts out there explaining how and why manufacturers basically fudge (or outright fake) the numbers.

Griffin Armament has at least adopted a standard. They use exactly the same ammo in an indoor facility with a really expensive machine to read the numbers. Then they will use the same lot of ammo to test like 5 cans of the same caliber (but from different manufacturers) on the same day.

But 119 on a 5.56 is a downright lie. The flight of a 5.56 bullet flying through the air creates about 140db on its own.

119db 5.56 BS! I was really interested until I saw this BS. Either they are using the wrong meter, don't know how to meter or are lying

Reactions: FuhQ
    Two questions-

I feel like the thermal conductivity of the material has almost nothing to do with the equation...why did they mention this several times? It's a high tier FDM material. Good layer adhesion on the impact tests, but they're utilizing venturi effect to keep it cool. Interested if DMLS cans have tried this, if not why not?

Why did they switch cans from the 22, 9mm to 5.56?

One note-

Definitely ain't as quiet as their promo videos indicated.

Side note-

I <3 printing

The first round fired after the truck thing produced one heck of muzzle flash.

Ok cool - it's light, it stays cool, it's 3D printed (yay technology!). It's still loud and I'm not wasting a tax stamp when I can have a blast diverter do the same thing.

Yeah, it DEFINITELY wasn't as quiet as they claim. Also, i'm guessing they would be using 3 different cans, because that's what they offer currently. They offer one for 22, 9mm, and 5.56, so that's probably why they used 3 different cans...One for each cartridge.

Still pretty cool despite it seeming a bit louder than advertised. Could be really nice on a bolt gun without it getting hot and giving off horrible mirage.

Technology is exciting.