• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The newbie and the friggin flyer!

ChrisBCS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
I'm a huge novice/newb to any sort of precision rifle shooting. working on prone fundamentals for the 100 yard challenge on the ol' bone 1984 stock R700 deer rifle. Shot this 5 shot group today at 100 yards with 150 gr SMK, 50.3 gr IMR4064, .30-06 Rem brass trimmed and chamfered. Neck resized with collet die.

Damn flyer!!!!

14735951746_983814f58a_z.jpg

14758634012_ae95401b28.jpg

Still nice shooting, was the flyer first, last, middle.

You can always run a OCW, or just try a 15 shot round robin with your current load.

1 shot at each of three targets, about a minute apart until you use up all 15 rounds.

Check to see the groups are consistent, even with flyers. If so then work on seating depth.

Flyer was second shot. Here is the whole string of five groups. Barrel heating left to right. Almost every group has one flyer.

14759747465_b57580e606_c.jpg

Hmm, the second group is a little out there, but all the others are rather consistent, and tight at that. Try adjusting seating depth a little and see if it helps with the flyers.

Those will definitely work to put meat in the freezer though.

Thanks! this were seated at recommended depth to give COAL of 3.300". I'll bring them out a bit. The throat/freebore of this rifle is so long I couldn't get the 150 gr bullets to touch the lands and still have the bullet at a suitable depth in the neck.

I just made a batch with slightly longer COAL, 3.3200". I'm also working more on my cheek weld for consistency. I shoot very well with open irons, but I am still getting used to optics/eye relief.

Keeping in mind this is a cheap old Bushnell, my comfortable and repeatable cheek weld so far puts the crosshairs off center, with a lopsided black halo around them, if that makes sense.

Now, if I sling up into a properly built prone position, forcing my eye relief to be shorter, I get a perfectly concentric black halo around the sight picture, and my cheek weld is much more consistent each time I rebuild the position. Unfortunately, shooting groups with a sling is not yet my forte.

These are optics fundamentals I obviously don't have well in hand.

These groups are not bad for a fully stock deer rifle.If the gun is not bedded and floated, I would consider spending a hundred or so and getting that done.Hard to tune a gun that can't vibrate freely and the gun seems to have the potential to shoot.If you consider getting that done,it would be interesting to see before and after groups.

These groups are not bad for a fully stock deer rifle.If the gun is not bedded and floated, I would consider spending a hundred or so and getting that done.Hard to tune a gun that can't vibrate freely and the gun seems to have the potential to shoot.If you consider getting that done,it would be interesting to see before and after groups.

It is bedded and floated. That's the only thing that's been done to it. It's not a great bedding job, it's clear there were some bubbles/it looks like compound wasn't put on the action before seating during the cure.

Bubbles are ok as long as the entire pour is solid. You can check it by putting the stock in a proper vise, tighten the front action screw, then tighten the rear action screw and see if the barrel moves excessively from action flex.

Been shooting 30 years and still don't have a cure for my frequent flyers. Today, i was shooting a 6.5x55 and had several 3 banger groups that were under .5moa. The 4th shot would open it to .75 and the 5th...well, don't ask. Did leave several of the 3 holers as they were.

The rifle ain't the problem.

A few from today, one inch squares and 1 MOA diamonds:

14780847196_06b3717bd9_z.jpg

14803848245_f77d401b59_z.jpg

14800735331_92d7726790_z.jpg

Ignore the cold bore shot in the last pic.

These were all shot with a big fat crescent in the left side of my sight picture. So I'm still doin' something wrong. The scope is all the way back in the front ring. The back of the objective cone touches the front ring. I'll take pics.

This optics stuff is so complicated. I'm a simple man. Just rubbing sticks and string to make fire.

14824277673_1aec060e17_c.jpg

Both 0.80 moa

The second group was after 12 rounds of shooting within a half hour, so the barrel was plenty warm. I have to admit, I'm pretty damn stoked!

LOL! Yeah, the primate behind the trigger is probably the limiting factor here for the time being. Or the rifle. Two 0.8 MOA groups in one day from an inexperienced shooter and a 1984 department store rifle package? Don't kill my stoke!