• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The next Robert Gradous build (6.5x47 Lapua)

Bob L Swagger

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Base of the Appalachians
I finally have all my parts in hand for my 6.5x47 Lapua and will be making the trip once again to Mr. Gradous' shop before this week is over! I am very excited to get this build underway and I thought I would share the progress with you guys..

Specs:

Surgeon 591R action w/ Surgeon tactical bolt knob and small firing pin hole
Surgeon DBM
Jewell trigger
Krieger MTU 5R 1:8.5 6.5mm finished @ 25.125"
Badger Ordnance FTE muzzlebrake
McMillan A5 with KMW hardware - 50% Olive 25% Tan 25% Black
Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 ZS HS NPR1 reticle
Nightforce UL rings
Atlas v8.1 bipod
TAB gear sling

Now for some pics! I will post more pics of the build process and the completed product upon my return.

Last edited:
Re: The next Robert Gradous build (6.5x47 Lapua)

Very cool, when is its due date? Ready to see a one hole group
smile.gif

Can't ask for better parts than that. Should be a very nice rifle.

Very nice. Are you going to be doing the gunsmithing class that he offers where you build the rifle with him yourself?

That build's going to be badass. Can't wait to see it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tofst4u2no</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. Are you going to be doing the gunsmithing class that he offers where you build the rifle with him yourself? </div></div>

Yes sir, I sure am!

You must get bored with all nice rifles you have. Not!! Looks like another great build coming up.
cool.gif
Keep us posted.

Regards

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must get bored with all nice rifles you have. Not!! Looks like another great build coming up.
cool.gif
Keep us posted.

Regards

Paul </div></div>

LOL.. I really don't need another rifle, I just wanted to go visit Mr. Gradous and hang out for a few days.

Great parts list. Enjoy your visit with Robert. Can't wait to see the finished rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tofst4u2no</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. Are you going to be doing the gunsmithing class that he offers where you build the rifle with him yourself? </div></div>

Yes sir, I sure am! </div></div>

Again?
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must get bored with all nice rifles you have. Not!! Looks like another great build coming up.
cool.gif
Keep us posted.

Regards

Paul </div></div>

LOL.. I really don't need another rifle, I just wanted to go visit Mr. Gradous and hang out for a few days. </div></div>

Nothing wrong with that . Robert is southern hospitality at its finest.
smile.gif

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tofst4u2no</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. Are you going to be doing the gunsmithing class that he offers where you build the rifle with him yourself? </div></div>

Yes sir, I sure am! </div></div>

Again?
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thats right!

Fantastic project, Im planing & dreaming of my next build in 264 win mag. Im afraid Mr Gradous will not do it as Im using a pre 64 action. Im gonna sweet talk him and try.. You keeping the classic varmint rig oiled or has your Dad captured it? very best from SW GA. weather is just getting right for the whitetail rut.. you are lucky as a double dicked bird dog. enjoy your trip and build .

Sounds good, Jon is almost done with my 6.5x47,
I can hardly wait to shoot it

Damn nice.

That's it! No Christmas for the kids, Dad needs a new rifle. They'll learn to cope.

Nice thread once again Bob. Love the pics, and the rifles..

I can see the 6.5x47 you got there is a lazer.. I have yet to fire mine, hopefully soon.

What's your next build now with Mr. Gradous?? I mean you might as well start next year off with a bang, you ended this year with some nice rifles..

Nice. That is a amazing collection. I can not wait to get get my 280AI from Robert.

Thank you for all the kind words fellas, I really had a great time with Mr. Gradous and look forward to my next visit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread once again Bob. Love the pics, and the rifles..

I can see the 6.5x47 you got there is a lazer.. I have yet to fire mine, hopefully soon.

<span style="font-weight: bold">What's your next build now with Mr. Gradous??</span> I mean you might as well start next year off with a bang, you ended this year with some nice rifles..

</div></div>

You haven't fired it yet?!?! I wouldn't have slept until I shot mine! As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to loading a few rounds and hitting the range today. As far as the next build... I think I am going to take it easy for a while and enjoy what I have already. I will be taking a trip down to GA with my father for his 6.5x47L build though.

Fantastic rifle and a great thread ... congrats and thanks for sharing the experience!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread once again Bob. Love the pics, and the rifles..

<span style="font-weight: bold">What's your next build now with Mr. Gradous??</span> I mean you might as well start next year off with a bang, you ended this year with some nice rifles..

</div></div>

You haven't fired it yet?!?! I wouldn't have slept until I shot mine! As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to loading a few rounds and hitting the range today. As far as the next build... I think I am going to take it easy for a while and enjoy what I have already. I will be taking a trip down to GA with my father for his 6.5x47L build though. </div></div>

No, not yet.. Once I get some free time here, well more then a few hours I will shoot it..

ANother trip, dammm. Robert should build you a house of your own, and hire you as an apprentice.. lol

IS your fathers gun going to be specd just like your's??

Great looking rifle Bob. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy in good health.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moose72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice thread once again Bob. Love the pics, and the rifles..

</div></div>

You haven't fired it yet?!?! I wouldn't have slept until I shot mine! As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to loading a few rounds and hitting the range today. As far as the next build... I think I am going to take it easy for a while and enjoy what I have already. I will be taking a trip down to GA with my father for his 6.5x47L build though. </div></div>

No, not yet.. Once I get some free time here, well more then a few hours I will shoot it..

ANother trip, dammm. Robert should build you a house of your own, and hire you as an apprentice.. lol

IS your fathers gun going to be specd just like your's??

</div></div>

LOL! I'd love to move down there and work with Mr. Gradous! As far as my fathers rifle, it will have the same color combo, just in an HTG stock and a Krieger #4 barrel.

Damn, Bob. You are making me want to take the plunge and experience a Gradous build, too. I am happy for you, Brother. That build turned out awesome.

very nice.
got a muzzle velocity data point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice.
got a muzzle velocity data point?
</div></div>

according to the shooter app - 2820 fps.

Awesome rifle and great shooting Bob.

Man, so tempting. I gotta do this too!

Glad to see you got another fine rifle.

Even happier to know that you will now leave Robert alone for a while so that he can work on some rifles for me. Give a guy a chance to catch up already
smile.gif

In my 2nd competition ever, I managed to score 584-22x, with my best 20 shot string of 197-11x, at 600 yards in F/TR this weekend with the 308 that Robert built for me. It's easy to learn when you are using the best equipment.

Can't wait for my Christmas presents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to see you got another fine rifle.

Even happier to know that you will now leave Robert alone for a while so that he can work on some rifles for me. Give a guy a chance to catch up already
smile.gif

In my 2nd competition ever, I managed to score 584-22x, with my best 20 shot string of 197-11x, at 600 yards in F/TR this weekend with the 308 that Robert built for me. It's easy to learn when you are using the best equipment.

Can't wait for my Christmas presents. </div></div>

LOL! I didn't leave him alone just yet..
cool.gif

That sounds like great shooting by the way.. Are you having something else built?

The only thing wrong with that rifle is it is not at my house!! Fantastic is the word. By the way, does Lisa have an unmarried Aunt that shoots?
smile.gif
WOW, what a shot.

Yea, he's working on a few for me.
6.5x47
7STW
300 Norma
338 Norma

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stranded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing wrong with that rifle is it is not at my house!! Fantastic is the word. By the way, does Lisa have an unmarried Aunt that shoots?
smile.gif
WOW, what a shot. </div></div>

LOL! Thanks for the kind words.. Sorry bud all her aunts are married..
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cmor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, he's working on a few for me.
6.5x47
7STW
300 Norma
338 Norma
</div></div>

Geese.. I though I had an addiction! I'm looking forward to seeing them when they are completed.

Yea, I've got it bad. I'm looking forward to seeing them too!

Bob, what color did you go with for all the metal? It looks GREAT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bob, what color did you go with for all the metal? It looks GREAT </div></div>

Thank you very much.. The metal was Cerakoted in flat dark earth.

Salt for my wounds.

Beautiful picture.