• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Brother,

Lived in a spot called Murrell's Inlet close to garden city. As young'en I worked at Country Kitchen.

Spent a fair amount of time at Drunken Jack's watching the men bring in the fresh food.

Never went back🤣

E
My wife takes a trip there every summer so the kids can play in the ocean. I can’t stand the ocean, but I go for her and the kids. Well, I can’t stand the east coast ocean, gulf ocean is another story.

Crab Island my man. Crab Island.

E
Been there many times. Used to spend several days each summer in Destin while I was stationed at Benning. Always rented a party barge and spent the day cruising and snorkeling all over the harbor.

Reactions: SCRAM2013
Gotta love a good burger with provolone! YUM!🥰

20200607_195046.jpg
20200607_200344.jpg
20200607_200608.jpg

4369ED28-D299-455C-A7E4-A2E95F28C142.jpeg

this will be my first run at a tri tip. Going to coat it with a Santa Maria rub and serve it with chimichurri. Side item will be a tortellini salad.
Here’s the ingredients for the salad.
Cheese tortellini 20 oz
Kalamata Olives 6.25 oz (pitted)
Marinated Artichoke Hearts 14.75 oz
2 zucchini (Medium size - cut in cubes)
Cherry tomatoes 10 oz (I use Cherubs)
1 package Mozzarella Pearls
Fresh grated Parmesan
Fresh chopped Basil - 5 oz
1 bottle Italian dressing

7AAF123E-D86F-437E-9764-89188A26527F.jpeg
9AEA49E0-6713-4011-88F9-F4D8B24417E1.jpeg
039C014D-68F7-4985-8E1D-7CCBFC7436F3.jpeg

The beef tri-tip turned out good. Next time I’ll smoke it a little slower, but no changes otherwise. I grilled a beef tenderloin (big end) just in case the tri tip didn’t work out. We ate all the tri tip and half the tenderloin.

Reactions: jungle45
For you carnita making folks out there, I make mine in the instant pot and then finish in the oven. Do any of you smoke the pork first? I'm gonna try that today. I've been using a recipe that uses orange juice and a bit of beer for the liquid. Anyone have a better/different recipe? We love carnitas as we have a super fresh tortilla shop right down the street from us and I make a killer pot of pinto beans.

• Love
Reactions: 1J04
For you carnita making folks out there, I make mine in the instant pot and then finish in the oven. Do any of you smoke the pork first? I'm gonna try that today. I've been using a recipe that uses orange juice and a bit of beer for the liquid. Anyone have a better/different recipe? We love carnitas as we have a super fresh tortilla shop right down the street from us and I make a killer pot of pinto beans.

This is "exactly" what I've been planning on doing. Smoke the meat, then crockpot for the finished product. Why not? The Wife throws together some pretty damn good tortilla's from scratch, so we're good there. ;) 💪

This is "exactly" what I've been planning on doing. Smoke the meat, then crockpot for the finished product. Why not? The Wife throws together some pretty damn good tortilla's from scratch, so we're good there. ;) 💪
Cool. I'll let you know how ours turn out. I use about a four pound chunk of pork loin cut up into chunks. The little mexican market down the street from our place here in Texas also has some great fajita fixings.

None of the Mexicans I worked with smoked thier carnitas.

In fact I have stopped doing it because just doesn't taste authentic to the Tex Mex culture in North Texas.
It all got eaten but the smoke overcome some of the spices.

Season, cover, cook at 225- 250 till i t is 200 about 8-10 hrs .
Reserve strain and defat liquid.
Make sure to toss out any pepers or onions because they suck up the fat.

Shred reseason , mix back in liquid as necessary and heat up on a pan or crockpot.

That's pretty traditional here.

Save the smoker for bbq pulled pork because it sucks if not smoked.

Reactions: tomcatmv
None of the Mexicans I worked with smoked thier carnitas.

In fact I have stopped doing it because just doesn't taste authentic to the Tex Mex culture in North Texas.
It all got eaten but the smoke overcome some of the spices.

Season, cover, cook at 225- 250 till i t is 200 about 8-10 hrs .
Reserve strain and defat liquid.
Make sure to toss out any pepers or onions because they suck up the fat.

Shred reseason , mix back in liquid as necessary and heat up on a pan or crockpot.

That's pretty traditional here.

Save the smoker for bbq pulled pork because it sucks if not smoked.
do you use orange juice?

Have not tried the oj because my pico has lime in it.
But yes that is a regional Mexican variation thing and a cuban variation as well I belive.

I don't want to try and tell you the best spices / etc because they are personal preference.

But I will say use a pork butt (shoulder) flat bone in normally cut square 5-8 lbs leave all the fat on cook fat side up.

In a roaster with some onion peppers spices a can of chicken broth. Cover tight stick a thermometer in and miss the bone.

225-250 till 200 internal then turn off and rest.

The meat will fall off the bone clean.
You can shred by hand not even a fork required.

The liquid left is gold with a little fat you can refrigerate and it will float to the top. The vegetables you used are trash filled with fat toss them.

Use the liquid to make a nice red chili sauce from scratch.

Hand hurts, hornets got me.

Beef plate ribs aka dino ribs.

Smoked ~3-4hr low low 170°F or so, then spent 44 hours in the sous vide water bath at 160°F. Sauce made from strained juices with some garlic, red wine, reduced and finished with cream of mushroom soup.

1592517596663.png

1592517630811.png

Homemade scratch cheesecaek for dessert:

1592517660581.png

• Love
Reactions: 1J04
Excellent.

Can I donate some garlic to the cause? I'll be harvesting in the next week or two and it needs cure time.

Pm me. Will send when ready.

If the spelling is wrong, IGAF. Ignore it and focus on the message.

E

I'm your Huckleberry! PM inbound! The Shoulder in the orange juice with squeezed oranges and lemons is resting on a bed of onions and garlic cloves. The whole Shoulder on the grill is stuffed with garlic cloves. It's getting ready to go in a bath with orange juice and apple juice.👍💪

Those ribs look awesome. Did you through them on the grill for a minute or so after taking them out of the sous vide?

I did not. I just smoked them a few hours beforehand.

Please post exact rib recipe.

So it was extremely simple. I trimmed them well, removing all the silverskin and most of the outside fat, too. Then salted them heavily and added pepper and granulated garlic. I salted heavier than I usually would for just smoked ribs, as I knew from experience the sous vide can dilute the flavor a bit - which is why I never put butter, onion, any veggies, or anything else in the bag when cooking sous vide.

Smoked at 170°F for about 4h - I have a pellet smoker, so it is pretty light smoke flavor, so I used an additional smoke tube to get more smoke on them.

After the smoke, I vacuum sealed them just like that and threw them in the water bath at 160°F for 40 hours, then went 3-4h over waiting for dinnertime.

Took 'em out, drained the liquid into a skillet, strained it, added garlic and simmered to reduce. Added some red wine, reduced more. Added a little salt and some cream of mushroom soup, used a whisk to get it nice and creamy, and that was IT. NOTHING else done to the ribs, just put them on top of my potatoes (baked, cubed, tossed in avocado oil, garlic and rosemary that had been simmered together, spread on a sheet pan and roasted until crispy-ish at 400°F or so, for 10-15m), spooned some of the sauce and a few chopped chives for some pretties.

Easy peasy.

1592595356080.png

Reactions: Barneybdb