• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Can't believe I missed this forum...

We finally got a bit of dry weather here in NC earlier this week. Cap off top sirloin... I buck it up into 3ish lb roasts, smoke until IT of 125 (about 132 after carryover) wait until rested and the sear the snot out of it on a screaming hot griddle seasoned with bacon grease and slice against the grain.

Very similar in flavor and texture to a good tri-tip, which is hard to find locally...
61413309382__794A8B09-D447-4A21-A176-24FF098B6201.JPG
IMG_5628.jpg
61413744614__115E2097-9B57-45D4-83A3-51E26A01972C.JPG

Can't believe I missed this forum...

We finally got a bit of dry weather here in NC earlier this week. Cap off top sirloin... I buck it up into 3ish lb roasts, smoke until IT of 125 (about 132 after carryover) wait until rested and the sear the snot out of it on a screaming hot griddle seasoned with bacon grease and slice against the grain.

Very similar in flavor and texture to a good tri-tip, which is hard to find locally...View attachment 7355098View attachment 7355099View attachment 7355100

Well, welcome aboard Brother! Strong 1st post. Look forward to your participation. We have some great people in here. Pretty diverse.

Ok, looks like it's gonna only be 12 hrs. I'm going with that! Kevin! Please hurry. Beer AND Whiskey is critical and this is the perfect time to meet up. You like to wrassle, Sailor. 😳

20200619_180648.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
Looks like a great combo of flavors. Two questions: 1) does the turmeric add anything more than color? 2) Have you ever tried Aleppo pepper in place of red pepper?

Honestly not certain that it adds a lot of flavor, I just use it. Haven't tried that pepper but I wanna do it again with some serrano Peppers in the bath. That should give it some more bang, not that it needs it, just wanna try it.😉

Reactions: Snuby642
Thank you Brother! It was well worth the all day effort.

German, Asian, Spanish?🤔

Good sh1t takes all day and 4 more hours to clean up. It ain't for the lazy.

I fully respect the effort and allowing others to enjoy.

I have to be honest. I have not had the German yet. This is my first year. Could not tell you what to expect.

Spanish: cook, pickle, can etc. Heat is mild

Asian: cook, pickle, can etc. Heat is one or two orders above the Spanish. This one is the favorite of everyone that has had the two. I tried the German this year in an attempt to out do the Asian.

The dirt is free

E

• Love
Reactions: 1J04
He was on cocktail "hour". So was I.

I read it as "gonna".........

Sheesh, give the poor guy a break. Life's tough enough as it is for a guy with his looks.......... :ROFLMAO:

Oh, @1J04, How'd the goat thingy work out ? :unsure:

Brother,

I take each "hour" very seriously. I try to perfect each one

However, I don't take spelling nor vocabulary very seriously.😁

E

I did not. I just smoked them a few hours beforehand.

So it was extremely simple. I trimmed them well, removing all the silverskin and most of the outside fat, too. Then salted them heavily and added pepper and granulated garlic. I salted heavier than I usually would for just smoked ribs, as I knew from experience the sous vide can dilute the flavor a bit - which is why I never put butter, onion, any veggies, or anything else in the bag when cooking sous vide.

Smoked at 170°F for about 4h - I have a pellet smoker, so it is pretty light smoke flavor, so I used an additional smoke tube to get more smoke on them.

After the smoke, I vacuum sealed them just like that and threw them in the water bath at 160°F for 40 hours, then went 3-4h over waiting for dinnertime.

Took 'em out, drained the liquid into a skillet, strained it, added garlic and simmered to reduce. Added some red wine, reduced more. Added a little salt and some cream of mushroom soup, used a whisk to get it nice and creamy, and that was IT. NOTHING else done to the ribs, just put them on top of my potatoes (baked, cubed, tossed in avocado oil, garlic and rosemary that had been simmered together, spread on a sheet pan and roasted until crispy-ish at 400°F or so, for 10-15m), spooned some of the sauce and a few chopped chives for some pretties.

Easy peasy.

View attachment 7355032
Wow thanks. now I just need to find me some ribs.

He was on cocktail "hour". So was I.

I read it as "gonna".........

Sheesh, give the poor guy a break. Life's tough enough as it is for a guy with his looks.......... :ROFLMAO:

Oh, @1J04, How'd the goat thingy work out ? :unsure:

I'm extremely sore and I think I gotta UTI. 😆

Slow simmer now after removing fat.

20200620_111836.jpg
20200620_111841.jpg
20200620_112231.jpg
20200620_112237.jpg

Added a bit of orange juice!

I'm extremely sore and I think I gotta UTI. 😆

Slow simmer now after removing fat.

View attachment 7355653View attachment 7355654View attachment 7355655View attachment 7355656

Added a bit of orange juice!
You know, seein' as how you're from Sekiu 'n all, I had you pegged for a guy whose culinary prowess only went about as far as (Kraft) cheese sandwiches on Wonder bread with French's mustard and a grape Nehi to wash it down. Oh, and Fritos.

Color me impressed ! :ROFLMAO:

(Sorry about not making it down last night. I got as far as Oly and Jay Inslee was standing out in the middle of the fast lane on I-5, naked. I had to swerve and I went into the ditch. I spent all the rest of last night re-thinking my actions.........).

• Haha
Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
So working on my father's day meal.
My sons got me a used smoker to replace the one I burnt out in about 15 years.

Fire box was completely gone and
held togeather with rolled inserts.

It will be salvaged / rebuilt.

New one is thin and temperamental and took hours to clean and burn off mess.

Got it cheap from some sjw type that did not know how to run one.

Got her running steady at 233 f now and a first brisket.

20200620_165536.jpg

He's pissed because his plate is empty, right ?

Jeebuz with all those delicacies, if my plate was empty, I'd be pissed too.....

You guys are absolutely killing me. :eek:
He is probably mad because his older brothers keep picking on him. Sucks to be the youngest. Here is a pick of him shooting from several years ago.

Attachments

• 20200620_190831.jpg
    20200620_190831.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 36
The first brisket on the new smoker came out close to perfect 15 hours.

It sliced but would break apart if trying to hold it in the middle.

I was blessed with cask proof (127) TX whiskey and a TX hat.

Even worked the reloader with my sons working on my ar.

A box of 6.5 120's to play with.

A very nice day.

20200621_212810.jpg

You know when you go to some family gathering, graduation party, etc... and they have “pulled pork” that’s nothing more than a crock pot pork roast with a bunch of cheap ass bbq sauce dumped on it 🤮.

This is pulled pork. On Cherry at 225 for 12 hours.

D285FE8A-3561-42B7-9432-A1C8E62A67C4.jpeg

Crock pots fuck up everything they cook.

And whatever you do don't call anything that comes out of one BBQ.

Used to be utilized when the wife and I both worked but I have no excuses not to man the kitchen if the wife gets me fixins.

I use them to serve from some times for buffet style dinners.

I go get the meat from family or friends for Bbq and baby it whenever I can. That frees them up to make nice sides and I have less cleanup.

Drawback is if you find out at the last minute you shanked it.

I stick to pork butts, pork ribs, sausages and briskets because they are simple once you get a rutine and a good set of thermometers.

Funny the more I used thermometers the better I got at look and feel.

If your feeding old folks (I'm 61) a little less smoke is best and fall apart tender rules the day it's not competition uppity stuff they crave.

If your BBQ is not coming out the way you want or inconsistent results you may want to look up the Texas Crutch method. It is nearly foolproof.

Edit: my new smokers thermometer is off by 20 degrees or more and sticks.

A pair of wooden clothes pins quickly held a remote thermometer probe in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb
A question for the pellet smoker guys.

Any out there with a good low heat range for sausage making?

I have had trouble making sausages in my standard offset stick burner.

Basically have to wait for cold weather since I live in Texas.

One recipe calls for 100 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour to dry the casing, then smoke at 120, 140 and finish at 170 for about an hour each.

The slightest bit of overheating will cause catastrophic failure due to fat out. At that point they are ruined except for dog treats.

I think even my dog gave me the shanked it again look.

Have tried a propane burner with a cast iron plate inserted into the fire box with limited success.

Using wood chips, thinking of trying same with pellets instead.

I have had trouble making sausages in my standard offset stick burner.

Basically have to wait for cold weather since I live in Texas.

One recipe calls for 100 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour to dry the casing, then smoke at 120, 140 and finish at 170 for about an hour each.

The slightest bit of overheating will cause catastrophic failure due to fat out. At that point they are ruined except for dog treats.

I think even my dog gave me the shanked it again look.

Have tried a propane burner with a cast iron plate inserted into the fire box with limited success.

Using wood chips, thinking of trying same with pellets instead.
I have to leave the door to my propane burner propped open just a little to help control the temperature. I love making snack sticks or summer sausages but it takes a lot of babysitting to make sure my temps don’t spike and I get the fat out.

Reactions: Snuby642