• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Reactions: Barneybdb and lash
Season, fry whole and cut up? I may do that.

Three oranges
Two lemons
Two limes
one tbs. garlic powder
One tbs. onion powder
salt and pepper
cayene pepper to taste, or some other heat pending what you like

Marinate it for at least an hour, I go about three. Then get whatever your cooking apparatus is hot and sear it. Should be somewhat charred on the outside and medium rare. Slice against the grain and enjoy!

My nom nom contribution. Tonight was seafood medley cooked in extra virgin olive oil, cayenne pepper, basil, garlic, and butter. Made a good topper for some porcini mushroom stuffed tortellini. Served with parmesan cheese and cheese bread.
303899F6-FEE7-44E4-A497-0B313ADC57CB.jpeg

Season, fry whole and cut up? I may do that.

Making buffalo style chicken wings and planned to have filets, baked tators and salad for the non-chicken wing eaters.

I marinate skirt steak. This one I am capable of doing hot and fast. Hot and fast in the oven...short on time. Slice it, boil your marinade, fry pineapple in cast iron. Serve over flakey rice. Drizzle marinade over the top. Serve seared baby boc choy on the side sprinkled with a little olive oil and salt.

E

And don't forget the garlic in the marinade.😁

@1J04 - your care package will be shipped tomorrow. I'm going to do over night to ensure nothing happens.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
Morning folks,

Any tasty suggestions for pork shoulder steaks? Bought a hog from a former coworker and the butcher made all the shoulders into 1-1.25" thick steaks. Thinking of doing them like a Boston butt, but with shorter cook time. Also thinking of grilling some like a beef steak and making some different sauces to accompany them.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Pork shoulder steaks.
I will put them in the smoker for about an hour at 225 with apple wood. Just enough to get a background smoked flavor. Then they will go to the grill and either get a dry rub or a BBQ sauce. Cook them slowly on the top rack and keep the flare ups down.

I marinate skirt steak. This one I am capable of doing hot and fast. Hot and fast in the oven...short on time. Slice it, boil your marinade, fry pineapple in cast iron. Serve over flakey rice. Drizzle marinade over the top. Serve seared baby boc choy on the side sprinkled with a little olive oil and salt.

E

And don't forget the garlic in the marinade.😁

@1J04 - your care package will be shipped tomorrow. I'm going to do over night to ensure nothing happens.

Thank you again Brother!! I'm so, We're so looking forward to it. I've gotta shoulder just begging to be stuffed !!!!!

Reactions: Barneybdb
Morning folks,

Any tasty suggestions for pork shoulder steaks? Bought a hog from a former coworker and the butcher made all the shoulders into 1-1.25" thick steaks. Thinking of doing them like a Boston butt, but with shorter cook time. Also thinking of grilling some like a beef steak and making some different sauces to accompany them.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

I do similar to Mr. DarnyankeeUSMC.

Smoke low for an hour. I like pecan wood. Then I move it to cast iron skillet with olive oil. Swap heat and lid as required for sear and internal temp.

Hard to mess that meat up either way. Are you dry rub or sauce?

E

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC

Smoke low for an hour. I like pecan wood. Then I move it to cast iron skillet with olive oil. Swap heat and lid as required for sear and internal temp.

E

Sure I get it.. like a reverse sear. I do the same with pork chops. Dry rub all the way. Maybe some sauce on leftovers if there are any.

Sure I get it.. like a reverse sear. I do the same with pork chops. Dry rub all the way. Maybe some sauce on leftovers if there are any.

Minced garlic and butter to the olive oil. Toss them in. Depends on if you want BBQ or the pan.

I'm with you on dry rub. I don't do sauce often and it makes a serious mess if you don't foil or pan or wtf ever.

E

I'll be the hick and say put those pork steaks in a pressure cooker or crock pot with some onion and chicken stock. Once done, strain the liquid to make gravy. Add some Jackson wonder beans, fried (okra, mators, squash...whatever) and some cornbread and that'd be some real eating. I bet @SCRAM2013 knows what I'm talking about.

@MntCreek,

Crock pot. Onions, carrots Mashed taters and brown gravy. We fried okra yesterday and did cheese and broccoli.

How about some jalapeno cornbread in the skillet?

I thought we were trying to be fancy with cooking in this thread. If we want to do what was old home cooking, I'm in on that at the same level...and love it.

E

I'll be the hick and say put those pork steaks in a pressure cooker or crock pot with some onion and chicken stock. Once done, strain the liquid to make gravy. Add some Jackson wonder beans, fried (okra, mators, squash...whatever) and some cornbread and that'd be some real eating. I bet @SCRAM2013 knows what I'm talking about.

That sounds right up my alley. Love me some peasant food and a version of what you suggested WILL happen... just in the fall when it cools off a bit. Looking for something I can do outside for now. Tonight I'm doing a medium hot grill with a pair of steaks with my dry rub, grilling to get a char and internal temp of 140, then serve with a horseradish-mustard-honey sauce and grilled corn.

Aaron

Reactions: MtnCreek

E
Sounds great. I'm going to try that.
Rub or sauce? I'm an equal opportunity eater.

Reactions: lash
My sad non bacon chicken.... And the start of 6lbs of jerky to make up for it. Costco had prime top of round that I couldn't pass up. Marinating now and will go in the dehydrator tomorrow. I prefer a thick chewy jerky that tastes like beef rather than the majority of the stuff that's sold that's thin and sugary.

20200719_174742.jpg

20200719_112957.jpg
20200719_113004.jpg

Last edited:
Oven food?

E
Nope, chicken and corn was done on my pellet grill. The other chicken got the dark color, this one just didn't color like normal. Was very strange. 250 or 275 for twenty minutes then I turn it up to 350 and it's done in an hour and 20. I prefer chicken on the green egg, but can't fit two chickens on it.

Nope, chicken and corn was done on my pellet grill. The other chicken got the dark color, this one just didn't color like normal. Was very strange. 250 or 275 for twenty minutes then I turn it up to 350 and it's done in an hour and 20. I prefer chicken on the green egg, but can't fit two chickens on it.

Which pellet grill did you go with?

I bet that egg turns out good food. I don't have one, but family does and we eat real good off of it.

E

Which pellet grill did you go with?

I bet that egg turns out good food. I don't have one, but family does and we eat real good off of it.

E
Ended up with a Green Mountain grill. I was choosing between Traeger, Green Mountain, and Yoder. Picked it based on being cheaper than a traeger for IMO similar features, the higher temps it can get to than the Traeger, and the fact that though I thought the Yoder was much better construction I didn't know if I'd like using pellets. I've used it for everything from pulled pork to banana bread. If it can be cooked in an oven, it can be cooked in the pellet grill. I don't use the oven at all during the summer.

I have the pellet grill, the mini max egg, and then a pit barrel. Green egg holds temp and is just so efficient on charcoal. That said, it is NOT efficient on space... No matter what size it is height wise, they just don't hold a ton of food. The egg is the chicken and pork butt cooker of choice, barrel is the best for ribs and brisket, the pellet is a do all that takes 10% of the effort for food that is 80% as good flavor wise to a traditional smoker. I have my eyes on an insulated vertical cabinet next.... I definitely have a problem and was recently informed that not everything needed to be cooked on a smoker. I pointed out the two burner camp chef outside and said yep.

Ended up with a Green Mountain grill. I was choosing between Traeger, Green Mountain, and Yoder. Picked it based on being cheaper than a traeger for IMO similar features, the higher temps it can get to than the Traeger, and the fact that though I thought the Yoder was much better construction I didn't know if I'd like using pellets. I've used it for everything from pulled pork to banana bread. If it can be cooked in an oven, it can be cooked in the pellet grill. I don't use the oven at all during the summer.

I have the pellet grill, the mini max egg, and then a pit barrel. Green egg holds temp and is just so efficient on charcoal. That said, it is NOT efficient on space... No matter what size it is height wise, they just don't hold a ton of food. The egg is the chicken and pork butt cooker of choice, barrel is the best for ribs and brisket, the pellet is a do all that takes 10% of the effort for food that is 80% as good flavor wise to a traditional smoker. I have my eyes on an insulated vertical cabinet next.... I definitely have a problem and was recently informed that not everything needed to be cooked on a smoker. I pointed out the two burner camp chef outside and said yep.

Insulated water smoker:

I have been studying these. I need to hit the lottery. What I "WANT" is 6k. Foxtrot that. I'll keep on with what I have.

E