• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Larry, I'm-a guessing that it is a "16 oz bag" of black-eyed peas? As-in '2 cups of dried peas'?
And, the "Dark Beer", could that be a tall-can of Guinness?

(I'm not a beer-ologist, so I truly don't know if it'd be the same/similar... but I do have some Guinness on hand for another recipe)

"Heat oil over and kitchen Bouquet on med-high..."? Interesting... never done it like that.

I'm looking to give this a try, and have to amass the necessary ingreedy-guts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04 and lash
Pretty sure it came off the grill still alive. Herd a faint moo when I cut into it.
1B31A9B3-C048-4E0D-955C-708453CBFFCB.jpeg

@Snuby642 and @Mooseknuckles hell I thought I had overdone it cause I got sidetracked for a minute or two. It only spent about 5:30 on each side but the grill was just around 430 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised when it came off like it did. Makes me wish I would have saved some for breakfast with a pair of fresh eggs.

Maybe the next time I make a perfect for me I can remember to snap a shot.

I like hard sear and a uniform pink all the way through.

Blazing hot 2 minutes each side wrap and rest a long time.
A little whiskey helps get the hard sear.

Larry, I'm-a guessing that it is a "16 oz bag" of black-eyed peas? As-in '2 cups of dried peas'?
And, the "Dark Beer", could that be a tall-can of Guinness?

(I'm not a beer-ologist, so I truly don't know if it'd be the same/similar... but I do have some Guinness on hand for another recipe)

"Heat oil over and kitchen Bouquet on med-high..."? Interesting... never done it like that.

I'm looking to give this a try, and have to amass the necessary ingreedy-guts.
Yeah, 16 oz bag. The word "over" should be deleted, sorry. The Guinness may be a little stout but hey, give it a whirl and let me know how it turns out.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
A word of caution about smoked Turkey.

It is easily over smoked.

Get your smoker running with a tiney wisp of white smoke.

I have had more than not over smoked, sometimes I smoke then transfer to the oven.

I split them open (spatchcock) them and take neck, giblets and back out for range top gravey no smoke.

Fried is awsome as well but normally a summer thing.

Edit: Smoked turkey liver / heart is chef's treat, gizzard is dogs. As in oops it fell and dog got it.

Last edited:
Any advice for cooking a turkey in the Pit Barrel Cooker? Thanks in advance.

I use offset smokers mostly and have used brinkmann types.

It takes very little smoke to penetrate a bird.

Too much smoke or the least little bit of grey/ black smoke and it is easy to overdo .

Your skin may turn blackish with some woods but that doesn't mean the meat is ruined at all.

Oak with a little fruit wood is great
.if you use mesquite, hickory or pecan be very carefull.

I use mostly oak fires and the rest are seasoning.

Remember black skin does not mean it is ruined.

Use and trust an internal thermometer and toss that little plunger temperature thing.

Edit: Fastest 2 ways to ruin s bird in a smoker, over smoke and not use an internal thermometer.

Reactions: SCRAM2013
I smoked a turkey just as a WTF a few years back.

12#, apples and onions in cavity. Wood was cherry and maple 50/50. Looked like clover honey was poured over it 9.5 hours later. Family always requests. They don't always get.

However, I will do one this year. Will cut wood tomorrow.

E

IMG_20201123_152518548.jpg
IMG_20201123_154129938.jpg
IMG_20201123_153915322.jpg

Reactions: Snuby642
Tried something new... made poppers from scratch for the first time. The jalapenos were lame. No heat at all. Decent flavor. I need to work on my breading skills. Deep fried in cast iron skillet on stove!

Stuffing came out cool though... Standard part was jack and cheddar with cream cheese. But I added Jalapeno jelly. A bit of sweet/tart in the filling. And wow... did that come out really tasty.

1606783737375.png

1606783768628.png

1606783800822.png

If any of you have popper cooking (making) tips, I am definitely listening. Need to grow my own Jalapenos next summer. Because these grocery store peppers just sucked, heat wise.

Sirhr

No pics because I really wasn't sure how it would turn out... but we'll call them "chili-kase-hunds" (chili cheese dogs): venison mettwurst with chili, made with ground venison, and extra sharp grated WI cheese. Pretty damn fine eats.

Tell me about the side. Is that a mix on a cookie sheet with olive oil and baked?

Looking good.

E
Thank you Sir.
That’s about it, but I cheated. They are the frozen mixes from the grocer freezer. It was a mix of vegetable medley and brussel sprouts. If I was to cook them, probably the way you said with some butter and salt in foil.

Reactions: SCRAM2013
Alright guys, need ideas.

Due to few people eating Christmas dinner at my house, we have a good amount of prime rib left.

Thought we could have Beef-n-Noodles one night. My bride said Shepard's Pie one night.

What do you do with excess prime rib?

Thanks

Butcher shop called my name today. They had some good stuff in the glass today, but settled on some filets. They never disappoint, but the dry aged is my next one.
2A5B9AFC-F25F-4C51-BFA2-C6F56A0BE072.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1J04
Here's some pictures of the roast for Christmas and how the left over became New Year's Day Chili.

First you pick up a standing rib roast when it's on sale, bone it out, trim it, tie it, and pack it it kosher salt before slow roasting it at 205 for a few hours.

There was about 4 pounds of meat left over after the family and friends took home doggie bags. I started with a 21lb roast.

The leftover meat gets put away until New Year's Day. My wife tells me it's good luck to cook beans on New Year's Day, so my chili has beans. I know the purists would object so they don't have to eat any. :LOL:

2020_1225_Prime_Rib_01_Small.jpg
2020_1225_Prime_Rib_02_Small.jpg
2020_1225_Prime_Rib_03_Small.jpg
2020_1225_Prime_Rib_04_Small.jpg
2020_1225_Prime_Rib_05_Small.jpg
2020_1225_Prime_Rib_06_Small.jpg
2020_1225_Prime_Rib_07_Small.jpg
2021_0101_Chili_Small.jpg

Tried something new... made poppers from scratch for the first time. The jalapenos were lame. No heat at all. Decent flavor. I need to work on my breading skills. Deep fried in cast iron skillet on stove!

Stuffing came out cool though... Standard part was jack and cheddar with cream cheese. But I added Jalapeno jelly. A bit of sweet/tart in the filling. And wow... did that come out really tasty.

View attachment 7487778

View attachment 7487779

View attachment 7487780

If any of you have popper cooking (making) tips, I am definitely listening. Need to grow my own Jalapenos next summer. Because these grocery store peppers just sucked, heat wise.

Sirhr
Try growing your peppers in different places. The ones I grow by the house(sheltered) always seem mild. Same peppers grown out in the open(wind, cat pee) are always much hotter.

6AAA86DB-3D98-4DE7-9D99-D8EFD2ED636E.jpeg

Smoked this bobcat quarter over applewood then put it in the pan with apple cider and covered with foil and left on grill at low temp for a couple hours. It ate like pulled pork without the fat.