• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

I have a neighbor that came over from Linghai China in the 70s. She is in her 70s and probably one of the most pro American, anti communist people on earth. She lived it and has seen the damage first hand. I took her some BBQ a month or so ago when I cooked and she just showed up at my door with this ginger shrimp just in time for lunch.
20210723_115213.jpg

The woman was harvesting today. Beans and taters with a touch of Italian salad dressing, silver queen corn, cucumber and tomato with a sour cream dressing and a Greek meatloaf. All from the back yard.
Sorry, no pics. It was almost ready when I walked in this evening and smelled sooo good I didn't think about the pictures. Maybe next time

Any corn smut eaters? Neighbor was griping about this on his sweet corn and I mentioned seeing on some food show that it was eaten in Mexico (huitlacoche). Tasted some straight from the cob and still had a mostly corn flavor. Supposedly can use just like mushrooms so may saute some tomorrow if I'm still alive.

IMG_1111.jpg

Any corn smut eaters? Neighbor was griping about this on his sweet corn and I mentioned seeing on some food show that it was eaten in Mexico (huitlacoche). Tasted some straight from the cob and still had a mostly corn flavor. Supposedly can use just like mushrooms so may saute some tomorrow if I'm still alive.

View attachment 7673694
I saw a show on that and they cultivate it on purpose in Mexico so I'm guessing good.

Never had a chance to try it.

Reactions: lash
I have a neighbor that came over from Linghai China in the 70s. She is in her 70s and probably one of the most pro American, anti communist people on earth. She lived it and has seen the damage first hand. I took her some BBQ a month or so ago when I cooked and she just showed up at my door with this ginger shrimp just in time for lunch.
View attachment 7673315
My friend, that's ole' skool cooking. Simply ingredients done right.

All you need is some white rice and chopsticks and you're GTG!

20210728_204447.jpg

Got sent in from the bench unexpectedly a little late in the game.

Wife got buisy confirming her new woman's trap and skeet league evidently the big boss decided she should run it. She can't shoot a shotgun at the moment due to a bad shoulder that will probably need surgery again.

A 10 week league, 5 trap and 5 skeet. Luckily this range is close less than 15 minutes.

Anyway skirt steak rubbed with Dale's marinade, fajita seasoning and Uncle Cris steak rub. Hard sear both sides and pull it off to rest wrapped tight. It will finish cooking.

Insead of grilled or sauteed peppers and onions I chopped and served raw / street style with cilantro and limes, crumble cheese.

Tip: get a comal for heating the the tortillas and traditionally flower tortillas are blistered black in a few spots on a dry very hot pan.

I like to slightly butter one side you lay butter side down spin it with your fingers then flip it quickly to butter second side let it get light brown then flip it with the butter knife. I also like corn tortillas.

20210728_203338.jpg

Last edited:
Chicken cordon bleu, garlic pepper spuds and green beans.
So what's the secret to getting it rolled or stuffed and not falling apart?

Are you using mayo to do the batter/breading?

Asking for my wife, she makes ....I just eated it ;)

So wife informs me at 7:30 I'm on my own for supper.

Fine scrounge around and.
20210808_202729.jpg

10 minutes later.

20210808_203835.jpg

Nice. That Hatch red chilli enchilada sauce is the best I've had out of a can ever.
It's better than many I've made to be truthfull. And it takes a lot of time.

Lol. I have not calibrated my bourbon timer yet. That is a nice color on that roux.

I was tought a one beer roux for sea food, two if you add chicken three if sausage goes in.

Also noticed you did not put in rice, I was tought rice and filet powder goes into bowl separate and gumbo is ladled over it.

Yours looked perfect.

So after the Sous vide do you let the steak cool before grilling or right strait too it?

So after the Sous vide do you let the steak cool before grilling or right strait too it?
Doesn't make much difference as the grill is 600 or so, but usually, it sits out (in the bag) on the counter (granite) for a while.

Half the time I finish in a cast-iron skillet with butter. Trying to cut back on fat..

So what's the secret to getting it rolled or stuffed and not falling apart?

Are you using mayo to do the batter/breading?

Asking for my wife, she makes ....I just eated it ;)
Nothing fancy...cheese enclosed in the ham, rolled inside the chicken (inside lightly coated w/ dijon mustard). Keep the chicken closed w/ several toothpicks. For the breading, just dipped it in egg then coated w/ panko breadcrumbs and lightly fry for about 5 min per side. Then transfer to the oven to finish baking.

Ribeye cap is hard to get.
I normally have to buy the whole rib primal to get it.

That cap is probably the best cut in the planet.

• Love
Reactions: 1J04
That sir is the definition of a perfect steak.

A good hard sear and time to rest.

Bout as perfect as I can get it done. Left just enough garlic butter in the pan for the sear. Made sure to get all the little pieces of garlic out so I wouldn't add any of that burnt garlic taste to them. 4 minutes searing the hell out of them per side, then popped into the oven in the pan for 5 minutes at 350. Bout 8-10 minute rest, then bring on the Horseradish! They held their juices perfectly. Was well worth the $110 dollar investment! 💪

Dammit! I opened up this thread and now I'm hungry.

I guess I better stay away from the Motivational Pic thread then. . .

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
Lol. I have not calibrated my bourbon timer yet. That is a nice color on that roux.

I was tought a one beer roux for sea food, two if you add chicken three if sausage goes in.

Also noticed you did not put in rice, I was tought rice and filet powder goes into bowl separate and gumbo is ladled over it.

Yours looked perfect.
Thanks for that! the rice was cooked seperately. I have never used file, I use okra. I was told it ain't gumbo if it ain't got okra. So, I stick to that.
And yes, the rice goes in the bowl and the gumbo ladled over it.

Reactions: Snuby642
So time to beat the dead hog again. 97 cents a pound literally cheaper than canned dog food.

20210831_223432.jpg

Prep time is negligible, rinse, season, insert thermometer and stick in smoker or oven, 5 minutes.

When it's done cool, scrape off cap fat with your hand and wiggle out blade bone by hand. 5 minutes, It is more work making hamburgers.

20210901_173359.jpg

You can smoke it low and slow for the best BBQ or bake it for other dishes.

Not even you deplorables can mess this up if you have a temp probe.

20210901_194926.jpg

A pork butt (shoulder blade roast) is done when it hits 200 degrees. Pulls apart with your fingers and cuts with a fork.

This one was going to be for Mexican food so got onions peppers and chili sauce on it. A little leftover chicken broth.