• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Whatever meat you use do not boil cooked meat ever. Slow low simmer.

Some good beans are made with smoked ham hocks.

Rinse them, heat them up in broth.
Pull them out and remove meat from bone. Bone, fat and scraps go back into broth to boil then strain out.

Not that much meat so I add whatever smoked link sausage I have at the end with the hock meat.

It always amazes me as to how meat cooked in broth can be quickly ruined by boiling.

Reactions: Jim Out and 1J04
Ribeye...........sweet tater, salad with the last tomatoes of the year.............picked them green before the first frost.........had BLT's a few days ago.......
IMG_2347.JPG

NOM NOM NOM GOES TO PAGE FUCKING SIX (6)!?
COMMIE BASTARDS!

Standing Pork Roast stuffed with Garlic, seasoned with a shit load of salt, black pepper, then rubbed with Dijon with both dry and fresh herbs/spices. Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, Onion, butter and avocado oil! Just amazing. Then Onions, Apples with Apple Cider Vinegar, Chardonnay, Butter, Salt n Peppa, and Maple Syrup! BAM!

20211204_163227.jpg
20211204_163300.jpg
20211204_163308.jpg
20211204_163908.jpg
20211204_164922.jpg
20211204_171226.jpg
20211204_180246.jpg
20211204_184707.jpg
20211204_194142.jpg

Think I’m making Gumbo soon it’s been several years so hopefully it doesn’t suck.

Thinking Chicken, sausage, shrimp, and crawfish.

Think I’m making Gumbo soon it’s been several years so hopefully it doesn’t suck.

Thinking Chicken, sausage, shrimp, and crawfish.
I learned to make gumbo in Louisiana and was taught the rules.

There are none.

This is how I was taught.

It always has onions, celery, bell pepper and a roux.

Seafood only has a light colored roux, chicken and sausage uses a darker roux and so on.

The rice is prepared separately and gumbo poured over it, not mixed together in the pot.

File' powder and okra are nice but not manditory and the file' powder is sprinkled on the rice when serving.

Don't boil meat that is allready cooked and don't over cook shrimp.

Hot sauce is mostly served on the side so fudds don't cry.

Best gumbo's I ever had were within eyesight of or below the ICW.

I learned to make gumbo in Louisiana and was taught the rules.

There are none.

This is how I was taught.

It always has onions, celery, bell pepper and a roux.

Seafood only has a light colored roux, chicken and sausage uses a darker roux and so on.

The rice is prepared separately and gumbo poured over it, not mixed together in the pot.

File' powder and okra are nice but not manditory and the file' powder is sprinkled on the rice when serving.

Don't boil meat that is allready cooked and don't over cook shrimp.a

Hot sauce is mostly served on the side so fudds don't cry.

Best gumbo's I ever had were within eyesight of or below the ICW.
I know how it goes, there’s more coonasses here than the bayou. Gumbo without file is stew, and light roux is for gravy.

I just said it’s been a while since I made it, normally eat it when my parents invite me over so I don’t have to stir roux all morning lol.

I like my roux like my women , dark 🤣

You just about killed me with the pork roast!!!

Unbelievable enchiladas!

Details on the enchiladas please.

Follow, don't follow, what they do. I don't, but the basics of what these two ways of doing Enchiladas is a great starting point to add or subtract from your own taste. These are the 2 Vids that inspired these dishes.

Reactions: SpringThom
Planned leftover, ham.

Soak a 1 lb bag of sorted pinto beans overnite at room temperature.

As long as you didn't drown your ham in a sauce or glaze, smoked or baked is gtg.

Cut all the choice pieces off the bone and save for other uses.

Chop the rest off the bone and remove gristle, fat etc, save all that.

Oil your big pot, toss in " junk ham scraps" and the bone.

View attachment 7749063
Cut the ends off an onion, and 1/2 bulb of garlic, toss that in and add 3 boxes of chicken broth possibly a bit of water to cover and a few cracks of black pepper.

Boil the hell out of it till it all falls apart. Strain broth and return to pan add beans and bring to boil stirring occasionally. Then simmer. When beans start getting soft add ham the chopped onions and some of the garlic another crack of pepper and a stick of butter.

DO NOT BOIL, SIMMER ONLY.
When beans are 100% tender everything should be gtg.

View attachment 7749086

Enjoy

View attachment 7749096
A significant portion of my early life memories look like this. We lived and I took it with me to my own hard times. I lived through that too. There is something emotionally secure about a simple pot of beans. I learned from my mother how to separate the rocks, clods and bad beans (even the triple cleaned still has shit in it), cook it right and make cornbread. Its a gift that surpasses any object I have ever received. I go to BBQ joints now and people avoid the beans like they are trash. I see something entirely different.

Last edited:
Follow, don't follow, what they do. I don't, but the basics of what these two ways of doing Enchiladas is a great starting point to add or subtract from your own taste. These are the 2 Vids that inspired these dishes.

You sound like my nephew Eduardo......

......"family secret", I am your fucking family, how about you walk home next time? It's only 20-30 miles of dirt road.......

I still don't have that goddamn recipe...............

CIMG1080.JPG

CIMG1081.JPG

CIMG1082.JPG

CIMG1084.JPG

CIMG1087.JPG

That looks fantastic!

What is "dry brined" and how do you do that?
We simply season with salt a little bit heavy then put on a cookie cooling rack and put in the fridge (or in the garage during WI winter) for 6-8 hrs. The salt draws moisture out of the meat, which dissolves the salt, then gets reabsorbed into the muscle fibers. Gets you a thick steak or chop that is seasoned all the way through and helps retain moisture during longer cooking. I didn't have time last night to fire up the stick burner but putting these on the smoker at 225F until internal temp is around 125F, then searing on a cast iron flat top in the gas grill at 675F is completely dope.

Reactions: tomcatmv
How are you cracking them?
A pecan cracking machine , it tumbles them and kinda pre cracks them.
Makes the fine picking much easier ! So far my only tree has put out close to 200 lbs in the shell. 👍 Had it cut back 5 yrs ago,think it shocked it. This is the first good harvest in years. Seems like my whole town is having bumper crops. Mine are Stuart’s.

Last edited:
A pecan cracking machine , it tumbles them and kinda pre cracks them.
Makes the fine picking much easier ! So far my only tree has put out close to 200 lbs in the shell. 👍 Had it cut back 5 yrs ago,think it shocked it. This is the first good harvest in years. Seems like my whole town is having bumper crops. Mine are Stuart’s.
You guys with pecans are lucky. Black walnuts here. PITA to crack, hammer and sidecutters is the only way. Good, but nothing like pecans

I have cut down two large walnut trees the last few years in my yard. Both were nothing but a PITA. The mess they made weren’t worth the shade they provided. Plus I had to listen to and deal with heavy assed green walnuts hitting my roof.
Back in the day the Air Force would come pick them up and pay for them. The crushed walnut shells were used as a blasting media they used in cleaning jet engines. They found something else to use , so $$ and free pick ups stopped.

Leftover Tex Mex.

Leftover ham and beans.
Left over potatoes, mine were rough mashed, use any.
A few pices of bacon, grease goes into beans.

20211214_210004.jpg

Scorch your tortillas or go home.

Add some cheese unless for breakfast and some jalapenos.
20211214_211812.jpg

Add some sauce and enjoy.

In 35 years the Mexicans at work never handed me a breakfast burrito with cheese on it.

These were for supper.
20211214_212126.jpg

Traditional breakfast hot sauce was made with:

Roasted jalapenos, water, salt and maybe a small chunk of onion.

Not one damn thing else.
Seeds, stem and all, blended.

I'm thinking it ate the enamel off my teeth but possibly cauterized my liver?

Hangover gone in 3-2-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpringThom
You guys with pecans are lucky. Black walnuts here. PITA to crack, hammer and sidecutters is the only way. Good, but nothing like pecans
When I was very young, we had a lot of black walnut trees............as did a lot of the neighbors..........Grandpa had a hand crank sheller.........once then hulls turned black he would run them thru the machine...............he would throw them out in the driveway until the hulls turned.........spent a lot of time with mom picking walnuts .............

Reactions: Snuby642

Attachments

• 4BC911CB-75E3-4AAD-A3F2-519E5D4F9C7D.jpeg
    4BC911CB-75E3-4AAD-A3F2-519E5D4F9C7D.jpeg
    595.4 KB · Views: 23
Leftover Tex Mex.

Leftover ham and beans.
Left over potatoes, mine were rough mashed, use any.
A few pices of bacon, grease goes into beans.

View attachment 7761454
Scorch your tortillas or go home.

Add some cheese unless for breakfast and some jalapenos.
View attachment 7761455

Add some sauce and enjoy.

In 35 years the Mexicans at work never handed me a breakfast burrito with cheese on it.

These were for supper.
View attachment 7761456

Traditional breakfast hot sauce was made with:

Roasted jalapenos, water, salt and maybe a small chunk of onion.

Not one damn thing else.
Seeds, stem and all, blended.

I'm thinking it ate the enamel off my teeth but possibly cauterized my liver?

Hangover gone in 3-2-1.
Mexicans here would cut you for using cheese, sometime s the use queso fresco but they judge the gringos hard for using cheese lol.

They cured me of it on a good taco. I’m a cheese freak with everything else though

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
I was invited for steaks last nite but was in the middle of a bunch of loading some 165 sgk's that were too hot last time.

Shame, my son shot a sub 1/4 group but bolt was way stiff.

He sent me a nice plate home rare so I could warm it to medium rare.

Got his load test to him today.

I was invited for steaks last nite but was in the middle of a bunch of loading some 165 sgk's that were too hot last time.

Shame, my son shot a sub 1/4 group but bolt was way stiff.

He sent me a nice plate home rare so I could warm it to medium rare.

Got his load test to him today.
My last 223 loads by the book, magneeto speed claimed 4100fps, little hot.

Still need to pull those

Last edited:
Looks great! How did you cook it?

Thanks! I salted it with kosher salt the day before and let it air dry in the fridge 24 hours. Rubbed the outside with Inglehoffer stone ground mustard, then covered it with a homemade rub of: black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, allspice, and fine ground coffee.

Put it in oven to roast for 30 minutes at 450 for that nice crispy fat and bark then dropped the temp to 325 til internal temp hit 130 and pulled it. Basted it with rosemary/thyme butter 30 minutes before done. Guests all preferred medium, but if it was just for me, I would have pulled it at 125 for medium rare. Even at medium, it was juicy and cut with a fork tender.

this looks amazing! Recipe?
Loosely based on this recipe, of course I used more of the good stuff, bacon, butter, cream. Start with this, and make it your own........