• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Craptacular weather here so it seemed like a good time for some cold smoking.

Picked up a couple 24oz blocks of mild and sharp cheddar. Also did a couple smaller pieces of sharp provolone and some parmesan.

pSRlpG.jpg

hvyH8s.jpg

…..after 2.5 hours of apple smoke…

V66LUt.jpg

All vac sealed and off to the fridge for a 2 week slumber party to mellow out. I saved the labels from the original packages for easy ID….

WsVeZs.jpg

Any of you sausage makers use dried green chili flakes instead of fresh?

While I had the smoker going yesterday I threw together a couple fatties…
Here‘s the step by step if you want to make one…

Started out with a pound of mild Italian and a pound of breakfast sausage rolled out in a gallon ziplock bag. This gives about a 3/8” thick meat layer.

gRt9tc.jpg

You lay out a layer of cling wrap and cut the perimeter of the ziplock bag and lay it out.

mQ6WX9.jpg

You then start layering your stuffing, this one is going to be a “pizza” fatty. It got a layer of cheese, bell pepper, pepperoni, red sauce, black olives more cheese and a little more red sauce.

Pz5OhA.jpg

ZHgKMF.jpg

After you finish with the stuffings you carefully roll one side of the cling wrap and meat over the filling. Pull the plastic sheet back and repeat on the other side.

m9wcNj.jpg

Now pull the cling wrap tight and bundle up the ends. You then twirl it a few times which compacts the meat and fillings into a nice rounded loaf.

eL8JRw.jpg

Set that aside in the freezer to help firm it up. It’s rather soft at this point.

Now to start the woven bacon wrap. Depending on the size of your bacon it usually takes 14-16 pieces.

Lay out the bacon on another layer of cling wrap and start the weave.

aDdHEr.jpg

Z7GWN6.jpg

I usually pepper the bacon at this point but since these are going to my elderly parents I skipped the spice.

Now that you have your weave done you retrieve the meat and carefully unwrap it and set it in the middle of the weave.

jMory0.jpg

Carefully pull the cling wrap under the bacon up to wrap the bacon. When done on both sides you wrap the cling wrap tight and bunch up the ends like you did to form the meat. Give it a few spins and you’re done.

jJF5el.jpg

FeX7cF.jpg

I also did a breakfast fatty. This one had a breakfast sausage shell stuffed with cheese, tater tots, scrambed eggs and bell pepper. All the other steps were the same.

Into the smoker, set at 240. I gave them about 3 hours of apple smoke then let them go to an internal temp of 160.

EgPEAE.jpg

They smell fantastic…..

zqSr9j.jpg

……..and the money shot after cooling off….

Pizza
Q8HKyV.jpg

Breakfast
lXKRWl.jpg

A slice of the breakfast between toasted English muffins is hard to beat.

Hope this wasn’t too long winded of a post…..😁

Last edited:
THE absolute best bacon known to humankind, from one of our 900# hogs named “Guster.”

He was a good boy, but tastes even better!

Yes, that is a full-size dinner fork.

IMG_7383.jpeg

IMG_7385.jpeg

Come visit The Hortarosa. We have AA batteries and armor piercing ammo!

Never tried the nail trick with a piece of meat, but it really helps with baking potatoes.
That’s a temperature probe. They’re pretty thick so I’m going to smoke them for a bit before grilling them properly

Reactions: Modoc
THE absolute best bacon known to humankind, from one of our 900# hogs named “Guster.”

He was a good boy, but tastes even better!

Yes, that is a full-size dinner fork.

View attachment 8340900
View attachment 8340901

Come visit The Hortarosa. We have AA batteries and armor piercing ammo!
You guys raise hogs to 900# for slaughter ? Would love to see ribs or pork butt.

So, took some jalapeño poppers over to the neighbor’s house last night to eat, drink and have fun while the TV was on the sports ball channel. I made them different this time, pretty much like I always do. Whatever I feel like. Simple but good. Large peppers split in half and deseeded, extra thick bacon partially cooked before using, cream cheese and topped off with some nice aged sharp Cheddar.

Cheddar I used since it was Bogo:

1707756774881.jpeg

Finished poppers:

1707756870714.jpeg

These turned out to be maybe the tastiest ones I’ve made yet. Easier to eat than the full bacon wrapped versions and excellent flavors, largely due to the very nice sharpness to the cheddar imo. None left.

Nom, Nom…

Wifey spoiled me with a nice BAT for breakfast:

i-DFBHRPF.jpg

…so I’m getting tapas spun up (literally in this case) for the her and I to enjoy on the patio when she gets home from work.

i-LZRmWtt-4K.jpg

Tete de Moines cheese, duck rillettes, and a fresh baguette. Just gotta grab something savory to go with it; pickles and olives most likely.

i-pCBfhkN-4K.jpg

Started my weekend with a nice B&T sammich…

i-PS4d7s8-4K.jpg

Bacon was leftover from some fantastic ‘frikadelle’ style pineapple-bacon burgers on fresh onion rolls my wife made last night for dinner. No pics of those unfortunately, fan-flippin’ tastic burgers.

Saving some of the seeds from these tomatoes for this summer’s salsa garden. 😋

Started my weekend with a nice B&T sammich…

i-PS4d7s8-4K.jpg

Bacon was leftover from some fantastic ‘frikadelle’ style pineapple-bacon burgers on fresh onion rolls my wife made last night for dinner. No pics of those unfortunately, fan-flippin’ tastic burgers.

Saving some of the seeds from these tomatoes for this summer’s salsa garden. 😋
Always like any variety of B&L&T on a crispy bread. Looks like a tasty tomato. You should sharpen that knife though…😁

The steaks look nicely marbled.

Bbbbbut those scallops are awsome looking.
Very hard to get any that size in Fort Worth $$$$$$

The wife went grocery shopping, came running back in just now and had forgot her wallet. (Lol ) in private.

I asked for a mix of bell peppers onions and garlic along with some beef. Traditionally we used cube steak for the pepper steak recipe we got as newly weds.

Can't remember if it's the pepper steak recipe or the " swiss steak recipe " that actually is the better .
I will update as I find it.

And guess what it's actually a Betty Croker recipe. Lol

My wife lacked culinary guidance and was tired of my small reptirior in those days but of all the stuff in those books this is one of my favorite.

Don't laugh but Julia Child was my first inspiration after my mom. My siblings would throw a fit when I put her on instead of cartoons.

20240301_191314.jpg

20240301_191417.jpg

Two young boys and I worked 7 days a week often back then but with the quebe steaks this was affordable back then. Notice it needed doubled for 4.

It's still a nice starter recipe served over plain rice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lash and 1J04
So the pig was confused about what breed it was and not at all a pretty pig either.

Did you have to lube up the traeger with appetizers first.

• Haha
Reactions: lash and 1J04
So the pig was confused about what breed it was and not at all a pretty pig either.

Did you have to lube up the traeger with appetizers first.

Tossed a few feet of these on and I'll be go to hell if it didn't chummer in like Sooooooo Weeee Sooooooo Weeeee. Works every time.

1709353210094.png

Regarding whether it's a pretty Pig or not I'll have to leave that up to ya'll.

1709353354954.png

Craptacular weather here so it seemed like a good time for some cold smoking.

Picked up a couple 24oz blocks of mild and sharp cheddar. Also did a couple smaller pieces of sharp provolone and some parmesan.

pSRlpG.jpg

hvyH8s.jpg

…..after 2.5 hours of apple smoke…

V66LUt.jpg

All vac sealed and off to the fridge for a 2 week slumber party to mellow out. I saved the labels from the original packages for easy ID….

WsVeZs.jpg

My pup and I both have a new fave: Extra Sharp White Cheddar - Cracker Barrel sticks started it and now I am venturing into other brands...

Reactions: sled_mack and lash
My pup and I both have a new fave: Extra Sharp White Cheddar - Cracker Barrel sticks started it and now I am venturing into other brands...
Well I got lucky with this one. I needed some extra sharp cheese for the jalapeños and this happened to be on sale. Flavor was one of the best I’ve had. Wife and I both agreed on that.

Reactions: 1J04 and UKDslayer
Well I got lucky with this one. I needed some extra sharp cheese for the jalapeños and this happened to be on sale. Flavor was one of the best I’ve had. Wife and I both agreed on that.
I get that. The Cracker Barrel sticks I first tried were on sale for $2.99 (reg. price 5.99, and still are on sale about every 6 weeks). Central Market is probably the best Cheese Head grocery store in DFW - but the prices are insane!! Sales keep it real. Now I'm trying anything in that category reasonable priced, especially with a smoked ham/proscuitto and melon or pear. I still use the Kraft single slice half-cheese to wrap dog's meds, but she wants the extra sharp white s a reward now for eating her Kraft!

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04 and lash
The steaks look nicely marbled.

Bbbbbut those scallops are awsome looking.
Very hard to get any that size in Fort Worth $$$$$$

The wife went grocery shopping, came running back in just now and had forgot her wallet. (Lol ) in private.

I asked for a mix of bell peppers onions and garlic along with some beef. Traditionally we used cube steak for the pepper steak recipe we got as newly weds.

Can't remember if it's the pepper steak recipe or the " swiss steak recipe " that actually is the better .
I will update as I find it.

And guess what it's actually a Betty Croker recipe. Lol

My wife lacked culinary guidance and was tired of my small reptirior in those days but of all the stuff in those books this is one of my favorite.

Don't laugh but Julia Child was my first inspiration after my mom. My siblings would throw a fit when I put her on instead of cartoons.

View attachment 8362366
View attachment 8362367

Two young boys and I worked 7 days a week often back then but with the quebe steaks this was affordable back then. Notice it needed doubled for 4.

It's still a nice starter recipe served over plain rice.
Thank you very much. I remember cooking this when I was married to my first wife. I couldn't remember how we made it, but at the time it was a treat. Damn, what a travel back in time, thanks.

Reactions: lash
Yes that one. Tillamook.

Not sure about all thier offerings but the sharp white cheader I snack on and use a lot.

• Love
Reactions: 1J04 and UKDslayer
Not sure what pork belly looks like, but Cosco had it labeled as thick cut bacon...tried some with Maple sugar...holy guacamole....this particular batch was thicker than previous purchases that's for sure. But....that's why she married me..... :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Beefmanne and 1J04
A pork belly looks like bacon uncut and not skinned back.

It's un cured un smoked and uncouth unless you BBQ it.

• Haha
Reactions: Beefmanne and 1J04
Looks more like Pork Belly, but ok, I don't care, I'd eat it anyhow! 💪 BTW, you do know Tomatoes aren't good for you. :LOL:
If you’re affected by it, nightshades will fuck you up

So leftover stir fry beef?
Was served ovever rice.

Wanted to change ours up.

Decided lo-main.

Looks so easy when guys at the local takeout shop make it.

Made a delicious sauce with soy, sweet and sour etc. Some spaghetti noodles. Then got out the wock.

20240305_204141.jpg

Tight rope lo-main is a pita to manage heat and time even if you get the flavor the way you want.

Give it a try if you think your wock skills are up to it.

20240305_204602.jpg

Full disclosure I used a little too much oil at the end, but the rest was solid good eats.

Walking a tight rope on the stove.
Uncle Leon will esplain to you.

Last edited:
Had to “use or lose” some stuff in the fridge.
Browned some sausage, mixed it with cream cheese. Laid out some old bread dough and sprinkled cayenne pepper on it. Put the mixture of sausage and cream cheese in. Topped dough with cinnamon and brown sugar. Not terrible eating
7B0498AF-C817-49FF-A639-8BE625F75594.jpeg
47B15386-5B8A-4CCD-985B-7467A75814B3.jpeg

Just had possibly the best chicken piccata I’ve ever had!

International dining tonight too, with my wife’s classic margaritas … used really, really nice tequila and Cointreau vs the usual basic crap and triple sec…same basic flavor from the fresh ingredients, but huuuuge difference in smoothness .

God damn I’m ripped, but this was a fantastic, fantastic meal!

i-SbHrxB9-4K.jpg

Some of the toddlers will ask you why use top shelf tequila when making margaritas.

Because if you take time to enjoy good booze you can tell the difference.
Life is too short to be spent on swill.

Last night’s roast that my wife cooked up while I was helping a friend paint all day. It was superb. I commented that while the very expensive prime rib I made for Easter was very delicious, this was equally good but in another way. Each of these meats have distinct flavors.

1712526499014.jpeg

ETA: she saved all of the juices from this roast so that she can make a batch of her French onion soup. It is the very best that you’ll ever have.

Looks tasty.

I went hodgepodge tonight with a casserole. Had some grilled chicken, sautéed down some mushrooms and some various seasonings. Mixed that in with some egg noodles and shredded cheese. It turned out better than I expected.

Reactions: lash and Snuby642