• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

The plain low carb tortillas.
They don't brown up right or taste very good but they work sort of.

Ok got it. The soups might be a good way to get your Mexican fix. You could add what veggies work best for you. Caldo de pollo is really nice. I'm not sure how apt you are to eating just the meat/veg portion of the dish, which is always a good option. As long as the meat etc is cooked well with fresh spices and proper technique, it should be pretty darn satisfying.

So I just went ahead and cut up a rack of ribs and have them in the fridge per Douglas101's post.
I used Kinder's master seasoning which is a blend of sea salt, garlic and butter. A generous dose of ground pepper blend and then drizzled with olive oil and honey.
Figure I'll leave them sit for at least two to three days and then smoke in my Louisiana pellet grill while basting with some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Will report the outcome.

So I just went ahead and cut up a rack of ribs and have them in the fridge per Douglas101's post.
I used Kinder's master seasoning which is a blend of sea salt, garlic and butter. A generous dose of ground pepper blend and then drizzled with olive oil and honey.
Figure I'll leave them sit for at least two to three days and then smoke in my Louisiana pellet grill while basting with some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Will report the outcome.
How'd this turn out?

I've only used the Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse, and its amazing. I need to order some of the other blends, didn't know they had so many.

Anyone ever try and make "Thor's Hammer?"

Looks like a project worth trying!

Sirhr
That looks interesting. I don't think it would be that difficult, but I'd probably cook 3 shanks or so, presenting the "best" 2. Everything could be cooked separately, then finished in the final dish.

Definitely worth a try. Would be delicious no matter what.

964731EF-E036-48F5-8581-A023200CE46C.jpeg

The wife and I went to VAST in OKC last weekend. Kind of a cool place but, I remember the flash fried potato far more than the bone in ribeye. Of all the places I have ordered steak the most memorable steak was at the “Twisted Tree” just outside of St. Louis. Those not familiar with VAST should know that the restaurant is on the 49th floor.

So the wife dragged home a baby brisket, 8lb. After trimming probably 7 lbs.

Was not going to fire up the stick burner for that and we are running 100 - 110 degrees with critical fire hazzard warnings .

Not a problem no smoke is not the end of a brisket, just not going to be BBQ .

Going neutral with this so onions garlic standard steak type seasonings and some mushroom stems.

Dropping temperature down to 225 since I don't want to shove the baby too hard. On at 12:30 AM I figure done at 7 - 8 AM but doesn't matter. Use an internal digital and set to 201 degrees, done.

20220723_002009.jpg

20220723_010019.jpg

It's not rocket science.

Well Snuby642 shanked that one.
So the wife dragged home a baby brisket, 8lb. After trimming probably 7 lbs.

Was not going to fire up the stick burner for that and we are running 100 - 110 degrees with critical fire hazzard warnings .

Not a problem no smoke is not the end of a brisket, just not going to be BBQ .

Going neutral with this so onions garlic standard steak type seasonings and some mushroom stems.

Dropping temperature down to 225 since I don't want to shove the baby too hard. On at 12:30 AM I figure done at 7 - 8 AM but doesn't matter. Use an internal digital and set to 201 degrees, done.

View attachment 7917671

View attachment 7917672

It's not rocket science.
It's not rocket science till your digital probe malfunctions.

Maybe it was inserted into fat instead of meat ? Not sure but final result was overcooked by the time the alarm went off.

Damn.

Steeped some slices of overdone beef in the excellent broth and pulled off a soup bowl.

20220723_200729.jpg

No idea what will become of the rest.

Sometimes you are the dog, others you are the tree.

Any decent refrigerator pickle recipes? Looking for something like a spicy garlic dill pickled cucumber... NO sweet pickles allowed in my home lol. Not looking to can and store on a shelf, just keep a quart jar or two in the fridge for snacking/drinks/sammiches. Had a coworker gift me a jar of his ghost pepper garlic dills that were the best I've ever had, but he won't give up the recipe so I'm chasing something here.

Planning to make a curing fridge with my bro eventually. Gonna start with fairly simple stuff - dry cured bacon/sausage/jowl bacon/buckboard/etc, and eventually move up to country ham, prosciutto, pepperoni, and the like.
Any tips?

The red hots are waaaay milder than any of those.

trust me
Shit I’ll take em, sauces don’t do the trick for me anymore I put raw peppers in almost everything I eat. If you could breed a pepper with the flavor of cayennes and the heat level about similar to a habanero I’d pay you for em..

Reactions: tnichols
Planning to make a curing fridge with my bro eventually. Gonna start with fairly simple stuff - dry cured bacon/sausage/jowl bacon/buckboard/etc, and eventually move up to country ham, prosciutto, pepperoni, and the like.
Any tips?
Ya don't forget the #1 or #2 curing salt. And make me some hard salami.

Looks good, tonite wife made salmon burgers I didn't like them.

Yesterday we made street tacos with the pork shoulder I cooked for 13 hours. I made a "quick" red chilie sauce for it with fresh onions, garlic and cilantro. A can of hatch red chilli sauce was the base and extra chili powder and fajita seasonings cooked till thick.

20220730_201632.jpg

Street style on white corn tortillas.

Your killing me.

My wife grilled some sausages and got all fixings for chili dogs made.

I was saving those cheap ass sausages for the smoker because that's the only way they are any good.

Lol

Reactions: Beefmanne

Maybe it was inserted into fat instead of meat ? Not sure but final result was overcooked by the time the alarm went off.

Damn.

Steeped some slices of overdone beef in the excellent broth and pulled off a soup bowl.

View attachment 7918361

It was a damaged probe.
I allready had a replacement.

I had another remote thermometer and a instant read not to mention a handful of standard meat thermometers.

My wife bought me a 4 probe digital.

My next overnight brisket will look like a digital porcupine.

Pisses me off to loose a piece of meat. I sat in a recliner while guarding that pork butt all nite. Lol

Reactions: Beefmanne

Damn.

View attachment 7918361

If this has lot of chilly in it i may just be interested in giving it a try.

The "recipe" for the pulled pork butt or brisket is all dependent on what you intend to do with the meat.

You can try and make fake BBQ but I would not. Liquid smoke does not replace real smoke so I stopped trying that and make Mexican inspired meats, pot roast style, ( if flavoring a brisket those vegetables should be discarded after cooking since they suck up the fat) a lot of people don't like that. I seperate the fat from the broth.

You can add any chilies / peppers etc. that you want just know that they will give up thier flavor and be fat saturated when the meat is done.

Just make sure your temperature probe is working. Lol

Reactions: Dough300
Yesterday was my wife’s birthday, and to celebrate I asked a buddy from work who was a Chef in a previous life to whip up some dinner for us and a few friends:

28610B5F-8F6B-42ED-B142-8CBABF2B2624.jpeg

Note the details in his shirt. He’s definitely one of us! LoL

Salad with roasted tomatoes and homemade parmesan/dijon vinaigrette, grilled asparagus, an unbelievably tasty hot german potato salad (didn’t know that was a thing), some nice steaks with fresh scallops, buerre blanc for the scallops (and asparagus if you wanted it), and finally, a dessert so good I still can’t wrap my mind around it.

EF7BAE7C-18CF-4886-9341-39641F84D883.jpeg

4A2F9970-478F-4ECB-8483-B92BBAC3E7E4.jpeg

F9407112-656A-4D28-BD97-9BC8952A3E64.jpeg

the dessert was a home made butter cake he cooked the night before, paired with blueberry compote he made while we were eating, topped with crème fraîch:

489233FE-9770-4D3E-A2C0-5ACD674975F2.jpeg

…unbelievably good…actually dreamed about that dang dessert last night, LoL.

And enough left over for steak and eggs this morning, even after sending a ton home with friends:

2D67E55C-1ADA-4292-A7A3-F9BABA9B8D1A.jpeg

damn fine meal(s), and an experience we’ll treasure for years to come.

Attachments

• 398273BE-D931-4EB3-9728-0D14A6A9DE6D.jpeg
    398273BE-D931-4EB3-9728-0D14A6A9DE6D.jpeg
    630.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yesterday was my wife’s birthday, and to celebrate I asked a buddy from work who was a Chef in a previous life to whip up some dinner for us and a few friends:

View attachment 7938267

Note the details in his shirt. He’s definitely one of us! LoL

Salad with homemade parmesan/dijon vinaigrette and roasted tomato, grilled asparagus, an unbelievably tasty hot german potato salad (didn’t know that was a thing), some nice steaks with fresh scallops, buerre blanc for the scallops (and asparagus if you wanted it), and finally, a dessert so good I still can’t wrap my mind around it.

View attachment 7938275

View attachment 7938270
View attachment 7938271
the dessert was a home made butter cake he cooked the night before, paired with blueberry compote he made while we were eating, topped with crème fraîch:

View attachment 7938273
…unbelievably good…actually dreamed about that dang dessert last night, LoL.

And enough left over for steak and eggs this morning, even after sending a ton home with friends:

View attachment 7938274

damn fine meal(s), and an experience we’ll treasure for years to come.
Happy Birthday to your wife! Yes that shirt is awesome. Do you know where its from? That meal looks wonderful!

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Reactions: SpringThom
F-ing Keto.

No battered fried fish or taters.
Fish and chips naaa.
Fine

Baked cod with sauteed peppers

20220821_205209.jpg

Is what it is.

Dang that looks good @91Eunozs ! Hope your lady enjoyed it. And yea that shirts pretty cool, gonna have to check that company out.
Anybody ever tried $1300 ham? 😱

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Dang that looks good @91Eunozs ! Hope your lady enjoyed it. And yea that shirts pretty cool, gonna have to check that company out.
Probably @TheGerman ...
My idea of splurging is a honey baked ham.

We used to buy those tax-free/ duty free at any of the major airports in Spain…. A whole hell of a lot cheaper than that though! I think the most we ever paid was $200-$300 for a huge jamon serrano that we ate for a year; that included the stand and a decent(ish) knife too.

• Love
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
I saw a show on discovery channel about those hogs.

Free roaming fattened on mast crop.

Tres Jotas and Joselito are some Jamon Serrano brands that are worth trying out. Both acorn fed (bellota) and of the pata negra type of pig.
We bring some back from Spain every trip and the Galician girlfriend mules some back when she goes home to visit family.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
After I finish a upcoming M4 Blk II clone build.. I’m going to have to grab up a curing fridge and start learning this sorcery.

So acorn fed black pigs, got plenty in the hill county of Texas. Two inch deep fat.

They're in Menard ......Not 3Js or Joselito.....but pretty damned good and different...

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642