• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The nosler 26. @ shot how will it compare to the 6.5 saum from gap?

groundhogbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Western NC
I went to a local FFL in Tenn last Sunday, and a few of my buds work in the reloading/gun area and were in a whirl about this new 'Nosler 26 cartridge. He had the drawings of the OAL, and said they were getting 3450fps from a 129 Accubond. I asked if he hadn't saw the Xtreme Hunter from GAP, but he hadn't , and said they haven't gotten any of the new LR Accubonds in yet. Does anyone know more about this cartridge, and how it would compare to the 6.5saum? I won a new Bartlein barrel of my choice in contour, and cal. and I shoot a custom 260, and just wondering if I wanna new 6.5 build or stick to my original 6mm plan. Thanks

Its a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag necked down, very over bore and will fry your barrel within 800 rounds. 6.5 saum is low pressure and should average 3000 rounds before needing a barrel.

Well that makes my mind up I guess. I thought they said it was a 30/06 necked down? Barrel burner or not I'd say for hunters are gonna love this thing since they don't put as many rds down range as a Comp. shooter.

I had heard it was a necked down .375 Ruger. Barrel life might mean something to a high volume shooter. But this is being marketed to hunters as a way to essentially hold "dead on" out to 400 yards or so. There's a lot of hunters out there that will never come close to putting 800 rounds down a big game rifle in their lifetime. And some guys just want the fastest, most whiz-bang chambering available. Roy Weatherby and John Lazzeroni built succesful companies around this fact.

It has it's place in the shooting community, but the OP asked how it compared to the SAUM.
I'll take the 100-150fps less and shoot the shit out of it and not need to worry about burning the barrel up. Easy choice for me!

From what I can tell its basically a 6.5 Dakota. A .30-06 length Ultra Mag case necked down to 6.5. Should be around ~92gr H2O capacity. Performance is gonna be similar to a 6.5mm STW or 6.5-300 Weatherby.

No comparison to 6.5 SAUM, like comparing apples and cumquats.

The 26 Nosler has its place, and I'm sure it'll be dandy with a 250 yard zero. Capable of anchoring anything alive between 5 yards and 450 using a dead hold.

Wicked up, I suspect the SAUM wouldn't be too far behind, but ultimately, the case capacity and packaging of the SAUM is really ideal for the 130-140gr high BC bullets going 3100-3200 with a moderate charge of H1000.