• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Past is Present

roostercogburn98

Fudd gun collector extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
Reading through @pmclaine thread “winter walk” makes me think the history interest is here with members of the Hide. I think we should dedicate a thread to historical places that we might visit while out and about. It doesn’t matter what country you come from, share some knowledge bombs with us all so we can learn and enjoy.

I’ll start, I stopped by the Averasboro Battlefied today while out and about. I didn’t roam far since I had stuff to do and it was a quick stop.

this battle involves Gen Sherman’s troops on their march north from Atlanta. He ran into Gen Hardee’s men and the fight ensued. Eventually, Gen Hardee withdrew his men, but the stall in Sherman’s movement gave time for troops in the command of Gen Johnston to get organized for the next battle. That battle was the Battle of Bentonville, which is just up the street from the house. I will get up there and get some pictures in the near future.
68020182-5237-4F97-A7CC-C57C75B51F99.jpeg

I live right up the road from Averasboro. They do a badass full calvary and artillery re-enactment every 5 years. It is awesome to see up close. My wife accuses me of searching out battlefields everywhere we go and I'm guilty.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
My late FIL was a wealth of knowledge on old Cavalry Forts in Southwest New Mexico, my 12 year old loves history and went to well over 20 while he was still alive. We also went to the Gila Cliff dwellings which is pretty cool in and of itself. We try to take him to something historical whenever we go on vacation, the last time we went to San Antonio and stayed in the Menger hotel. I highly recommend that as it has one of Teddy Roosevelt’s uniforms along with other memorabilia right outside the bar.

My late FIL was a wealth of knowledge on old Cavalry Forts in Southwest New Mexico, my 12 year old loves history and went to well over 20 while he was still alive. We also went to the Gila Cliff dwellings which is pretty cool in and of itself. We try to take him to something historical whenever we go on vacation, the last time we went to San Antonio and stayed in the Menger hotel. I highly recommend that as it has one of Teddy Roosevelt’s uniforms along with other memorabilia right outside the bar.
I met Roosevelts great grandson once. He seemed like a pretty decent guy. If I remember correctly, he was a Navy SeAL

We recently went to Gettysburg to show the kids and take pictures of them at a statue of a prominent Confederate general who is a close ancestor of Ms Stadium. It was cool, but we had more fun driving around the site in a little 3 wheeled buggy.