• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Primer Shortage

So just got back from the Costa Mesa Socal gunshow. Shit tons of primers 77 bucks for a thousand br4. They had lots of flavors all at 77 per1k. They had h4350.....8lbs....389.00...no thanks.
That's pricey.

A friend bought 8lbs H4350 at a local shop for $300 last month, and I thought that was high. Now it seems reasonable.

last 8# jug of Varget i had , selling for another individual, $400. Lasted a day on the shelf. I just tell folks, u want to bitch or do u want to shoot? Cheap? it ain't never coming back

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender and Bradu
last 8# jug of Varget i had , selling for another individual, $400. Lasted a day on the shelf. I just tell folks, u want to bitch or do u want to shoot? Cheap? it ain't never coming back
Heh I've got shit tons of powder which is why I did not buy at that price. What was interesting was all the other powders were normalish price of 280 per 8 pounds it was just the 4350 they had at a premium.

Reactions: jinxx4ever
picked up 10,000 SRP's yesterday, $110 per brick shipped. They won't last long once they hit my shelves. Folks will snap them up

Two hours ago, I was able to put them in the cart... sorry guys.. gotta be fast.

Yeah, I know the hazmat was per order, but when each brick is +$15/K, I'll wait for more locally. They are showing up.. not desperate yet.

Scheels often has primers in stock for $50-60 per 1K. However, they limit buying to 1K per person per day.

Why is it they can charge that, and every other retailer has to charge twice the price?

Scheels often has primers in stock for $50-60 per 1K. However, they limit buying to 1K per person per day.

Why is it they can charge that, and every other retailer has to charge twice the price?
my last one's at scheel's was $75

Last time I got primers at Scheels, was still 3 sleeves per type/day. But, I haven't seen more than $7/sleeve yet there.
Could be fulfillment from vendors before the price increase, or vendors just taking what market will bear.

Last time I got primers at Scheels, was still 3 sleeves per type/day. But, I haven't seen more than $7/sleeve yet there.
Could be fulfillment from vendors before the price increase, or vendors just taking what market will bear.
i was quoting a full brick price. My brother also grabbed one for me as the limit was 1 brick per day per customer

Reactions: NoDopes
The shortage must be over. Walked into a little “outdoor” store in BFE Texas over the weekend and the shelves were loaded with primers and ammo. He had pretty much any flavor you might want.

Primers were a modest $24.99 per 100.

I was able to resist temptation…

Last edited:
They have had primers locally for a few days 69.99 per 1000
Define "local."

Like, driving distance from Houston, "local?" Asking for a friend...

And, these aren't the ol' "once fired" primers, are they?

I figure "my friend" could drive a fair piece to buy a trailer load of primers at 69.99 per 1000. "He" could set up a table right outside this guy's shop and sell them for $23.99 per 100. I mean, it can't be gouging if you are undercutting the competition, right? Free market capitalism for the win, baby!

Last edited:
This is just like the crazy lumber spike we just went through.
All the fucking morons paid %600 more for framing lumber this spring, once those dumb assholes were done building, prices plummeted cuz the rest of us aren't weren't going to support that shit.

Everyone kept saying "we'll never see affordable lumber again so just take it"
Well the same shit is happening with components, wake the fuck up guys!
Stop buying $100 primers and $400 varget
This shit isn't complicated you're the problem!

I just bought CCI #41 for $40.99 a thousand at sportsmans warehouse. Cheapest primers I’ve seen in over a year. Maybe shits straightening out. I’ve seen primers in my area for the last three months off and on.

L
Hopefully sometime before '26 I can get some primers for under $250 per $1000. I'd love to have some of the prices I see being talked about on here as being too high.
Which ones?

All showing in stock... The AR Small Rifle Match might have to open in an incognito window for some reason..

Can you use magnum pistol primers in the two unobtainium cartrdges I'd like to reload for, 30-30 and 270 WSM? I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a deal for like 6 months now on CCI #250 Large rifle magnum primers but I just can't find them for a reasonable price.
CCI 250s were in stock for right at $100 shipped from Midway earlier this week. To some that is reasonable, to others that is higher than giraffe's ass.

But to answer your question...
Most of your magnum pistols run mid 30s for pressure. The LMP primers handle it fine.
30-30 max pressure is 42k. If you load some slow subs, sure. If you are loading to max, I wouldn't risk it personally. If you prime some brass for sub use, then put it aside and forget, you could get into a sticky situation later on as well.
270 WSM max pressure is 65k. Absolutely not.

I would aim to get the proper primer for those, Especially 270 WSM.

270 WSM max pressure is 65k. Absolutely not.
Aside from LP and LR primers being a different size, why can't you use a magnum primer in 270 WSM? As long as you work up pressure shouldn't be a problem, I thought that was the point.. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement.

Aside from LP and LR primers being a different size, why can't you use a magnum primer in 270 WSM? As long as you work up pressure shouldn't be a problem, I thought that was the point.. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement.
The cup of a pistol primer is thinner than a LR primer. Starting loads are likely much more than I would even consider with on a pistol primer.

I load very light for my .45-70. 13 grains of trail boss under a 405g cast pill. It runs 1035fps. I recently tried the same load with a Winchester large rifle magnum primer. I didn't run it across a chrono, but it seemed to have a little more report and recoil. The primers showed that the charge was a little hotter too. Not much, but noticeable if you're paying attention. Groups tightened up a little. I would not substitute magnum primers in my other cartridges without also going to a significantly lighter powder charge. Some will say it's fine and that's fine for them.

This is great info, that's why I come here! I am in fact aiming to start out on subsonic 30-30 plinking rounds using Trail Boss, a Lee Classic Loader I have, and a hand primer when I figure out which on will be best for my needs. It gets pretty cold up here and every thread on the subject says it's a good idea to use magnum primers for sub 30 degree weather with these types of rounds. I've been wanting CCI 250s so I can some day use them in the 270 WSM when I feel I've read enough and have the right equipment.

Maybe I'll get some mag pistol primers just to get the show on the road.

Not a 250, but fed 215 in stock at Natchez. Limit of 10.

Last edited:
Oklahoma Is working their ass off pushing for a primer factory to be built somewhere in state. I know this is near the top for priority list, or so they say among conservatives. I would love to see a couple more factories in the middle of the nation. Weapons or ammo manufacturers would be great as well.

Can you use magnum pistol primers in the two unobtainium cartrdges I'd like to reload for, 30-30 and 270 WSM? I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a deal for like 6 months now on CCI #250 Large rifle magnum primers but I just can't find them for a reasonable price.
Just run regular rifle primers.
absolutely no need for a magnum primer in a short magnum.
Even in single digit temps my 7 saum kicks ass with 210m’s

Hell, my recent test showed even my 338 edge with almost 100 grains of powder did well with a 210m at 50 degrees.

If you use the discord app, I see primers coming into stock almost daily from different sources in the $69-$89 per 1k range.

I have a harder time finding projectiles and powder at this point, specifically Berger 105s/109s and H4350. I have seen a bunch of 6.5mm projectiles this past week, so hopefully the 6mm's are shortly behind. Powder is probably sitting in a shipping container offshore, waiting to be unloaded.

If you use the discord app, I see primers coming into stock almost daily from different sources in the $69-$89 per 1k range.

I have a harder time finding projectiles and powder at this point, specifically Berger 105s/109s and H4350. I have seen a bunch of 6.5mm projectiles this past week, so hopefully the 6mm's are shortly behind. Powder is probably sitting in a shipping container offshore, waiting to be unloaded.

Just paid $40 for 1k. Idk how you fellows can jump through hoops to get butt fucked.

Getting buttfucked would be when the local claim gang comes through your neighborhood after the economy crashes and you realize you have 5 rounds of .223. Inflated prices suck, but I am stocking as I can and will continue. It's a cost to benefit analysis. If you have decided you are sitting pretty, then that is great. I was late and playing catch-up a bit. I actually feel lucky this late in the game to have scored 7000 various primers under 100 bucks per 1000. I'm pretty sure they aren't going back to 35 anytime soon, if ever.