• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The problem with the SPS Tact Houge Stock

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Alright since I'm just getting back into the bolt gun game I figured I'd do this little write up to show some of the other new guys why the SPS TACT Stock falls short.

Most people know that it flexes and when they say that they are usually referring to the foreend touching the barrel while on a bipod. This is easily fixed with 10 minutes and a dremel sanding disk. If this was the only problem that would be great...because I really like the way this stock feels.

Shown dremeled out, and it free floats all the way to the action even on a bipod
1759b1c0.jpg

The really problem is the rigidity, or lack of, in the rest of the stock.

I went to the range today to sight in a new scope and noticed that my NPA was impossible to nail down. Part of the blame is the lack of cheekweld while shooting prone but the main problem was that the stock would "Twist" if any pressure is applied to it. This would cause the action to torque sideways in the stock.

Now the barrel channel wouldn't actually contact the barrel but with the twisting forces on the stock its impossible to be consistent during recoil and therefore impossible to be consistent down range.

Barrel sitting naturally
b42d0c42.jpg

Barrel with person in shooting position

838ec0f0.jpg

Sorry for the crap pics but you can see the barrel will move sideways quite a bit while the whole stock twists.

At 200 yards the difference between natural position and the torqued position would move the sight picture a foot or more.

The other problem is the stock will actually slightly bow if you try and load the bipod.

None of this would be a problem if you were using a bipod on the front as there wouldn't be anything to twist against but since shooting off a pack brings a whole new set of problems this isn't ideal either.

Now this isn't to say that the rifle wont shoot with the Houge stock on there. The problem is that you cant drive the rifle, you have to let it "free recoil" in order to keep the loaded forces out of the stock and the recoil consistent. This also means that spotting your own hits becomes nearly impossible up close.

Top right is 2.0 at 200 yards edge to edge and bottom left is 1.6 edge to edge at 200 yards
295f66f3.jpg

15 rounds 1.3 edge to edge at 100
2d56d00b.jpg

So what do you gain with an aftermarket stock? In a word....

Consistency.

And thats what this whole game boils down to......eliminating variables. It may or may not shoot smaller groups but it should get rid of those odd duck flyers that make a .5 MOA Group into a 1.5 MOA group. A stock is basically a foundation of your rifle anything added to a cruddy foundation is only covering up problems.

Just so people don't ask...no the action is not loose in the stock and I checked the torque. I've seen these same problems on 2 of the SPS Tact .308 rifles now. Its a shame remington didn't want to charge 50 bucks more for the rifle and include the stock with the full length bedding block.

Re: The problem with the SPS Tact Houge Stock

What you are saying is true, but for everybody with a SPS that has read this post don't lose all hope. There are ways to stiffen this stock dramatically and eliminate this variable.

There are several threads about it here on the hide!

None the less, great job with the pics and right-up.

The pillar Houge is more flexable than the Plastic stock....mine was at least.

The full length bedding block version is a world better. Ran one for a while but sold it for quick cash locally and now the guy sold it to someone else or it would be back in the safe.

The only not-curable problem with the Houge that I have found is that bedding compound will not stick to it...so the aluminum portion showing is all you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with the SPS Tact Houge Stock </div></div>

Is in most peoples head. I have two, one in stock form and the other in a B&C stock. The untouched gun is miles more accurate than the other and I have creditable witnesses here that would actually agree with me on this. Now its not that the B&C gun won't shoot cus it will (about .8 moa consistent) but the stock one with its favorite booolits will go .5moa 85% of the time and has gone well under .25 more than a few times.

Now maybe mines a fluke, but I venture to say most of the accuracy people are seeing with a stock change in there SPS-T's is either placebo or the fit of the stock to the shooter.

If your in the area, come on out and shoot it, I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't own it but like rrflyer said to those of you that have the houge stock, dont get to discouraged, they will perform.

DSCF42141.jpg

Mine really does flex bad....To the point that I could barely rest my head on the stock in order for it to flex.

I wish I could find one of the Hogue Stocks with a full length block in it but everyone is backordered that I've found.

I'm really suprised AAC didn't push for it with there new AAC-SD Rem Tactical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really suprised AAC didn't push for it with there new AAC-SD Rem Tactical. </div></div>

There is a post over on ST where one of the AAC guys who was in on the Rem/AAC rifle defends their choice of the pillar bed Hogue. Basically, they considered that stock a 'throw-away' and wanted to go as cheaply as possible on the stock - figuring everyone would replace it and the Hogue would save shooters money in the end. I'm with you, that for an extra hundered dollars they could have used the full aluminum bed Hogue or a B&C stock that was at least serviceable. The current pillar bed Hogue is worthless. For just two hundred more they could have had the H-S PSS. This is a $600+ gun and to go out and put a $900 AICS on it just doesn't make sense to me. Remington didn't ask me though.

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60274