• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The PX Super User

I'm willing to wager the "not" dealers are costing you more in time and money than the actual Commercial Accounts are.... As you say they are driving traffic so that is an upside. If it were my site and these guys can't own up to what they are doing, they have no honor and as such can't be trusted within the On Your Honor px system.

As I said, I see them abusing the system, the fix is simple

Restore their accounts to new, reduce the post count to less than 100 and change their status from Belligerents to Registered, which means they basically have to start over.

I was looking at two accounts today, one new, and other slightly older but both using the PX consistently. When I dug deeper I noticed the average new guys who buy into sell have 400+ posts with 90% being in the PX and other guys have 150+ posts, so you can see it.

You start crossing into the higher numbers and it's simple to reset your account to new. Not banned, but just making sure you understand what contributing means.

The ones we know are running side businesses, and have Personal - Commercial Accounts we will ban those guys.

Every single person I contacted today denied being a dealer, even when I screenshots of them saying they were a dealer.

I was told nobody pays retail anymore and most people have some kind of wholesale access

I was told they weren't the dealer, but their friend was, and while they get their scopes at a deal, what is the crime helping their friend sells scopes on the site.

I got a dozen replies that said, while yes I am an FFL everything I have sold ON HERE has been from my personal collection

So basically after all these stand up responses I have determined it not worth my time and I am better off just removing the biggest offenders and adjusting things back.

I changed the "Hessian" account to give you Access but not a true Full membership, that was changed today, I am looking at the cost to Upgrade and have adjusted that down a bit, but I am sure it's still too cost prohibitive. But we'll look at that in a few days.

At the end of the day, it is clearly a lesson in futility with these guys, every single one has an excuse. Even to the point where after I questioned them, I was offered something to contribute but not what I want. Hey, I offered since I was caught, but I am not doing what you think.
Frank. Let The German and I moderate the PX. I’ve never sold, only bought like 2-3 items tops. My plan is to screenshot the liars The German and I find and make a thread in the BEAR PIT so we can laugh and shame them just before they get IP banned. I want to TROLL the clowns out.
TEAM GERMAN/BENDER!

Frank. Let The German and I moderate the PX. I’ve never sold, only bought like 2-3 items tops. My plan is to screenshot the liars The German and I find and make a thread in the BEAR PIT so we can laugh and shame them just before they get IP banned. I want to TROLL the clowns out.
TEAM GERMAN/BENDER!

Hahaha, TheGerman will just 86 all of the ads that are below Vector 23 pricing ;)

I want you all to read what one of our PX abuser poster children said in a conversation to another member earlier today.
I've accented the good part for you.

"Not a god damn chance I will ever trade anything with you unless its so fucking far in my favor it makes your asshole hurt. I bet you ask me and a couple guys I know to trade almost every time we list something, ask a million questions and then when you realize your not going to be able to fuck us say oh im a dealer for that.. So are most of us and half the people on these forums dumbass. Do us both a favor and skip over my threads in the future.
Also have fun parting out that pile of shit, nobodies going to buy it in one piece for half what you want for it."

We should link the rules in people’s post that are breaking them along with a report .

I want you all to read what one of our PX abuser poster children said in a conversation to another member earlier today.

"Not a god damn chance I will ever trade anything with you unless its so fucking far in my favor it makes your asshole hurt. I bet you ask me and a couple guys I know to trade almost every time we list something, ask a million questions and then when you realize your not going to be able to fuck us say oh im a dealer for that.. So are most of us and half the people on these forums dumbass. Do us both a favor and skip over my threads in the future.
Also have fun parting out that pile of shit, nobodies going to buy it in one piece for half what you want for it."

This is EXACTLY what I want to do. Post this in a SHAME thread in the pit and have their names on it!

I smell blood and I want some!!!

Post all these clowns! Free traffic and laughs!!! Some will just remove themselves!!!

Well, that is part of the issue,

you don't want to be so ugly in the beginning to piss everyone off, you want to be fair as some people are truly ignorant of the rules, and it's my job now to educate the membership both retroactively and moving forward in terms of new sign-ups.

You can't just go all Ban Hammer crazy, otherwise, it will never end. There is a reason to ban people, you can find a rule broken no matter who it is. A bit of honey to start and if they don't respond correctly use Bleach and skip the vinegar.

I want the place to continue to grow, pissing off everyone trying to limit the abuses is not really gonna work.

Sure we laugh and make fun of certain accounts when they screw up and step on their dicks, but the reality is, that is far and few between when you step back and look at the big picture

My suggestion - The PX is invisible to until you have 3 months AND 100 posts.
Bump exceeding 1X/24 hours gets you a month off.

@Lowlight - I know you didn't start this place to get rich, but honestly, you are sitting on a gold mine with the way the PX has evolved.
Find a way to monetize it.
Get a company like GB or whoever to run it for 3% of sales and cut you a monthly check for 1% of that. They keep 2%.
Everybody wins.

To be honest,

I have tried recruiting a company to run my Banner Ads, I have a gold mine there but no time to chase down accounts and companies to fill it with.

Everyone I have offered to split the banner ad revenue with has turned me down, or said, yes sounds great and never calls back.

I have a lot of unsold ads which if done right would make the PX a drop in the bucket compared. I have reached out to several companies who already have advertising units and they all just never follow up.

Reactions: Tucker301
Well..........look at it this way. Others are making money on it and you're not. :unsure: Doesn't seem right. Not intended to be harsh. You deserve to make some money on it. Who knows, the income might just fund other endeavors that you've wanted to kick off, but didn't have the budget for it.

edt: OBTW......Do people really push back on either a one time or annual buy-in fee of $30 for the priveledge of selling on the PX ?

Last edited:
That was a huge promise from Scout, they promised an Advertising / Sales Team and then artificially suppressed my numbers, and refused to sell for the site.

They complained it was not "advertiser-friendly" and left me without any outside advertising money. Part of the deal was to pay me a base traffic amount and then to fill in the rest with advertising revenue. They never came off the base traffic payment and refused me any advertising dollars.

In the end, not only losing significant monthly revenue, they burned me out of 3 full months of traffic. I had a choice to stick with my contract and go to CBS in order to get paid, or return here and lose the remaining months revenue. I walked away getting nothing in return.

That was a huge promise from Scout, they promised an Advertising / Sales Team and then artificially suppressed my numbers, and refused to sell for the site.

They complained it was not "advertiser-friendly" and left me without any outside advertising money. Part of the deal was to pay me a base traffic amount and then to fill in the rest with advertising revenue. They never came off the base traffic payment and refused me any advertising dollars.

In the end, not only losing significant monthly revenue, they burned me out of 3 full months of traffic. I had a choice to stick with my contract and go to CBS in order to get paid, or return here and lose the remaining months revenue. I walked away getting nothing in return.

Still got my physical memory of that shit-hole. Of course I'm going to keep these - I designed it!

@sirhrmechanic Did most of the work honestly...

IMG_1986.jpg

Does one of people in this conversation have a picture of someone in a fur hat as their avatar? lol

Guys,
I've been around business enough to know this. If you divided Franks income by the hours he's put into this place, he'd come out around 25 cents/hour lifetime.
We owe it to him to try to help fix this. He's built this incredible range and allowed us all to shoot for free for decades, while he picks up the trash and mows the grass.

TEAM GERMAN/BENDER!

How is it possible to be on here and only buy 2-3 times? My hat is off to you sir! This place keeps my pockets empty...

I will throw something out on the "unofficial" dealers. I own a fly fishing/fly tying business, and have found that many companies have MAP (minimum advertised pricing) on their products. I can lose the entire line of product for selling items below that pricing. I would bet that many of these guys are selling products with MAP pricing on here below the required prices to make a quick buck. Maybe we need to invite some of the manufacturers in to see if this is happening. They can't clutter the PX if they can't buy the products anymore.

And that's why we need coded and automated solutions. As good as reporting is, most are sliding by unnoticed.
We are outnumbered and as great as the pay is :cautious:, we all have other things going on.

Reactions: BlackFenix
The funny part of all of this is that those yahoos so rarely leave the PX sections that they have no idea a conversation is occurring about them over here in the Pit. Then, when they get a new badge or get suspended, they PM us and ask what's up.

I mean, its not like them posting a single fucking ad for every individual thing they're selling, at the same time, isn't obvious or something.

Reactions: Bender
I am fine with a 2-day bump rule, that you can bump a post every 2 calendar days, no need to break it down to time.

Clearly, the $100 Full Membership upgrade is a bit too much, and I feel $33 is too little for people who only come here to sell. The trick is finding that happy medium so it's worth the issues that come along with it.

The more people that use the PX the more issues we have, guys complaining ads are not 100%, guys who want us to moderate their sales, and even still the messages we get asking about "Member X" and whether or not he is trustworthy. They want us to help them, but really don't contribute and waste a lot of our time.

The more traffic in the PX the more headaches, we are not here to hand hold your sale.

Frank,

I would assume that your site software system provides you statistics relative to the amount of ads that a particular user places in the PX section. Would the fee that you charge be fair if you imposed a sliding fee scale based on the frequency and number of ads that are placed by an individual account . owner. If someone pays for a commercial account with you, then they are exempt but if they do not have such an account, then the scale would come into play. This would then, in effect, close the cottage loophole and force users who use the site for furtherance of business into a commercial account.

Tucker,
Not disagreeing but there is a difference in view rates and sales. I know where to look when I want a new item from a dealer. (all too well according to my wife :)
When I look through the PX I am looking for used items. Might just be me. IDK
You and I are similar in that way, as I suspect are so many more who are regular real users of this forum. Unfortunately for this situation, we are seeing this from the viewpoint of users who actually are members for the reason the forum was created. The problem is not with us or the thousands like us. It’s the small but annoying abusers that this is all about.

I feel that Frank has a good handle on what’s really going on and is trying his best to do right by the real forum users while cutting the abusers back to make this the experience and place we all come to for community and occasionally to move around our shooting priorities to those that want what we don’t use anymore.

That’s how I see it anyway.

Depending on how the data is available you could get one of us Yahoo's to do some data mining with macros. They also have some sweet bot technology that could be used to analyze the info and automatically ban them. :p

Unless it is isolated and occasional sales than they are in business. I see several that sell and barter enough to rate at the minimum the requirement to report a Schedule C.

R