• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns The real Highpower is back

Just from the aesthetics position - the Springfield version appears to be higher quality. Obviously the idea of "quality" is more than looks, so we will have to wait to see what people think of these both..... (FN vs Springfield) compared to the originals out there.

Just from the aesthetics position - the Springfield version appears to be higher quality. Obviously the idea of "quality" is more than looks, so we will have to wait to see what people think of these both..... (FN vs Springfield) compared to the originals out there.

I was reading about a guy putting a few original or aftermarket pieces in his Springfield to make it run a little better. Extractor I believe came to mind. Might be a situation where its better to buy the Springfield and put a few hundred bucks into it and have the better overall pistol.

Reactions: MadDuner
It’s pretty comfy, it’s just that if you’ve ever held a Hi Power it’s…not. It’s like a BHP, 226 and a Ruger from Desperado had a baby. The checkering is super nice, the rear of the grip tang could be longer, the sights are fine, the trigger is OK.

I think that SA is laughing at how FN handed them the Hi Power market on a platter with the new FN pistol.

Considering that FN discontinued sale of the original Browning Hi-Power nearly four years ago (presumably due to low demand), they might be the ones laughing.

Or maybe both companies are laughing because they will likely both be successful in prying dollars from my wallet.

dce.jpg

Every time I think of Springfield Armory I remember the owner reportedly pleaded guilty to a federal charge of document forgery in a failed gun sales scheme, and then I remember him/SA reportedly giving campaign money to the dem party.

Last edited:
I like that the new version has a checkered frontstrap, which is a required feature for a hard use HP, but the grip looks fatter which is a Big No-No since one of the benefits is a thin grip doublestack. This thing is hideous.

Every time I think of Springfield Armory I remember the owner reportedly pleaded guilty to a federal charge of document forgery in a failed gun sales scheme, and then I remember him/SA reportedly giving campaign money to the dem party.
Don't forget they helped Hire that Anti-Gun Lobbyist to push through a State bill in IL that would have made gun manufacture all but illegal for any company but them and the other ones in their big $$$ trade association.

Anyone who spends a dime with springfield is only funding the enemy.

Reactions: Milf Dots
“Then we’ll discontinue it in 2 years and tell you to go fuck yourselves. Even if we don’t discontinue it, we’ll still tell you to go fuck yourselves.”

Sincerely,
FN customer service
I see Beretta customer service and FN customer service must be family members.

Dammit man. This thread makes me wanna buy s CZ 75D PCR or P-01 to complement my P07 and P09.

And yeah. P07 is the best gun nobody knows about. The Omega trigger system is fantastic. Like it better than my glock 19 I carry at work.

I might have to find a P-01 or PCR and send it to Primary Machine for an RDS plate.

And the P-01 is available with the traditional D lockwork or the Omega system.

ETA: Don't know if you know, but CZ 75 full size magazines work perfectly in the P-07.

Last edited:
Reactions: clcustom1911
CZ Rami is probably the best 9mm sub compact in the history of the earf.

I thought so too but then I fondled one and found out it's as thick as a P-01 and hardly a difference in concealability.

It has a short grip. Don’t use the 40 foot long 14 round magazine.
I daily carry either the P-07 or P-01, both in Stealth Gear IWB holsters.....
They conceal just fine.

If I want "invisible" - I carry a Sig P290RS.

My favorite CZ is my Rami frame with PCR slide. It’s like a CZ CCO, lol.

I've been thinking that a P-01 slide on a 75 frame (with the short dustcover) would be a sweet carry optics competition pistol. 23+1 rounds with Mecgar 17 round mags + Henning extended base pads + Grams followers and 11 coil springs.

So like...wheres the 1913 rail and the cut for an RMR?

Modern gun for...yesterdays problems? What?

They’ve got railed/dot compatible ones but they’re not on the show floor. Apparently they take Beretta 92 mags FWIW.

FN stated in a SHOT show video they redesigned the grip and magazines to hold 17 rounds. Do the legacy magazines still fit?

I daily carry either the P-07 or P-01, both in Stealth Gear IWB holsters.....
They conceal just fine.

If I want "invisible" - I carry a Sig P290RS.
Apples & Oranges comparing a full size 1911 Browning HP with conceables. Not a fan boy of Sig's but I now find myself with about 20+ of them...recently acquired a NIB 2016 Sig P290RS (Re_Strike), pretty close to G43 in profile as well as the double stack P224 in .40 cal. . No rounds down range with it yet.

IMG_0825SIG P290 RS NIB PHOTOS 10.03.21 copy.jpg
IMG_0829SIG P290 RS NIB PHOTOS 10.03.21 copy.jpg
IMG_1217 copy.JPG
IMG_8025Sig 365 Safariland Model 17 Inside Waist Holster 02.01.21 copy.jpg
Sig P365 Magazine OptionsIMG_4967 copy.jpg
Sig P365 v. P230 v. P224IMG_4753 copy.jpg

Ap

Last edited:
Reactions: MadDuner
be64bb3f-23f7-44a7-921b-74f7a694d5b3-jpeg.7788143

fucking hells- it looks like some East Asian airsoft, knocking off a Girsan gun from 2012, whist trying desperately hard not to infringe on anyones IP or trademarks....
Were they unable to find the mag catch for that particular gun or grips not made from real actual shit ?

Nothing on this meekly whispers quality- not for $1300.

They would have been better digging out their own BDA9...at least it was elegant

Bda9.JPG

There is a lot of good here. Perhaps not for people who just like to look at pistols, but for those who like to shoot them. It looks like most of the ergonomic issues of the Hi Power that cropped up as shooting styles changed have been fixed. For example, the long slide stop was not compatible with a thumbs forward grip, and now it has been split so you won't get unintended slide lock that was so common. The hammer and beavertail are better. The reset has to be shorter as it used to require going all the way back to full trigger release, and the trigger itself has now been brought back. The rear tang also looks much better. No idea if they removed the mag safety, but I kind of imagine they did if the mag release is reversible. The old ejection port was a problem, that has been fixed as well. Of course the texturing on the frame and even the textured area of the grip is now high for people who actually know how to grip a pistol.

Honestly, this thread reads like a lot of bitching an moaning from people who prefer pretty pictures to guns that shoot. My biggest complaint, and it is minor, is that they went with an FN dovetail rather than a Novak, as it cuts down on sight options.

People might like the SA one more, but I guarantee you, the FN one will run better when shot fast and gripped aggressively.

Reactions: Bakwa
You don't carry a pistol much, do you @Choid ?
It's marketed as a competition pistol, non? If you are asking whether I conceal carry often, the answer is no as I live in the wilderness and get into town about once a month.

I have worked on 1911s and Hi Powers since I was a kid, and learned from some of the best known smiths out there, so I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be fixed on Hi Powers.

It's FN's design. If they say this is the real Highpower, then it is.

This line of thinking is the same as saying an Explorer isn't a real Ford because it isn't a Model T
It's John M. Browning's design sold to FN...

I have some originals including a pristine T with no box or paperwork, the magazine safety has never been removed, and it's flawless.

Reactions: Basher

I have some originals including a pristine T with no box or paperwork, the magazine safety has never been removed, and it's flawless.
No, it wasn't. The damn design wasn't even completed by the time Browning died. It was actually designed by Dieudonne Saive at FN, and originally they had commissioned Browning to design it, so it has always been an FN product.

Actually no.

It's Dieudonne Saive's design, which was a not insignificant evolution from the original Browning design patent of 1927

And as I understand it, Browning was on FN's payroll when development started in the early 20s.

In any event, both Browning and Saive got paid by FN so it's a distinction without a difference

Last edited:
There is a lot of good here. Perhaps not for people who just like to look at pistols, but for those who like to shoot them. It looks like most of the ergonomic issues of the Hi Power that cropped up as shooting styles changed have been fixed. For example, the long slide stop was not compatible with a thumbs forward grip, and now it has been split so you won't get unintended slide lock that was so common. The hammer and beavertail are better. The reset has to be shorter as it used to require going all the way back to full trigger release, and the trigger itself has now been brought back. The rear tang also looks much better. No idea if they removed the mag safety, but I kind of imagine they did if the mag release is reversible. The old ejection port was a problem, that has been fixed as well. Of course the texturing on the frame and even the textured area of the grip is now high for people who actually know how to grip a pistol.

Honestly, this thread reads like a lot of bitching an moaning from people who prefer pretty pictures to guns that shoot. My biggest complaint, and it is minor, is that they went with an FN dovetail rather than a Novak, as it cuts down on sight options.

People might like the SA one more, but I guarantee you, the FN one will run better when shot fast and gripped aggressively.

It is a legacy design, anyone serious about thumbs forward grip will choose a modern pistol. The only reason I can come up with to buy a Hi Power is nostalgia. I think the "High Power" is going to flop whereas the SA-35 is going to be a success. The SA-35 looks like the Cylinder and Slide tuned Hi Power I always wanted (without the high price tag), the FN High Power looks like a lever gun with an AR stock and quad rails.

When FN discontinued the Hi Power all three people that never bought one whined until it became popular with Zoomers on forums. FN, in their infinite wisdom, decided the best course of action was an entirely 100% proprietary revision of the 100+ year old design and a subtle name change. I'm not sure I would call the public's reaction complaining so much a rejection of FN's strategy; the SA-35 has been exceptionally well received despite some early teething issues.

I won’t disagree that many of the changes on the High Power are ones done on Hi Powers. And again, I don’t disagree that the gun may wind up being a success. As I believe I’ve stated, if it runs well and I have disposable income, I can easily see myself trying one to see for myself.

But to say it’s the “same gun” as a Hi Power in any way but the name is fooey, IMO. It’s a more-or-less clean sheet design that has a passing resemblance to the Hi Power. Is that a BAD thing? Not necessarily. But if I want a Hi Power, the High Power won’t scratch that itch.

I won’t disagree that many of the changes on the High Power are ones done on Hi Powers. And again, I don’t disagree that the gun may wind up being a success. As I believe I’ve stated, if it runs well and I have disposable income, I can easily see myself trying one to see for myself.

But to say it’s the “same gun” as a Hi Power in any way but the name is fooey, IMO. It’s a more-or-less clean sheet design that has a passing resemblance to the Hi Power. Is that a BAD thing? Not necessarily. But if I want a Hi Power, the High Power won’t scratch that itch.
Sure. It’s not the same gun at all. It’s as @308pirate said regarding a mustang. Realistically usable 1911s are not the same gun anymore either, but the high power is further from the hi power than that. On the other hand, hi powers had a lot more in need of change. The only good thing about them was the comfort in the hand. If that has been retained, cool.

You are correct about modding old hi powers. It took a lot of work and still had massive limitations. The sa-35 seems to go half way but leave a lot of bad, and more importantly leave it unfixable. The trade off is now it is all proprietary parts, so...

But really is there any excuse for sa leaving the hinky old extractor, not raising the seat lever, etc? I don’t think so.

I included this reference in my authored Anatomy Series Manual on the Browning Hi-Power. John Brownings' last patent, RIP.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.53.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.54.38 PM.png

It is a legacy design, anyone serious about thumbs forward grip will choose a modern pistol. The only reason I can come up with to buy a Hi Power is nostalgia. I think the "High Power" is going to flop whereas the SA-35 is going to be a success. The SA-35 looks like the Cylinder and Slide tuned Hi Power I always wanted (without the high price tag), the FN High Power looks like a lever gun with an AR stock and quad rails.

When FN discontinued the Hi Power all three people that never bought one whined until it became popular with Zoomers on forums. FN, in their infinite wisdom, decided the best course of action was an entirely 100% proprietary revision of the 100+ year old design and a subtle name change. I'm not sure I would call the public's reaction complaining so much a rejection of FN's strategy; the SA-35 has been exceptionally well received despite some early teething issues.
The SA-35 doesn't look like a C&S Hi Power. It doesn't look like a Garthwaite Hi Power. It looks like a Hi Power with an ill conceived ring hammer and better sights. It's a pretty gun, but it doesn't have any of the working over that custom Hi Powers have. This is basically a gun you would buy to send to somebody to make into a nice Hi Power.

There are a few awful details about the Hi Power. One is hammer bite, which Springfield didn't do much to correct. One is the awful trigger geometry, which they also didn't correct. One is the shitty recoil guide rod, ditto. One is the mag disconnect, which they did fix. One is the sights, which they didn't do very well with. Finally, the lack of texture, which they also didn't correct. People have fixed all of these on hi powers for years, other than the guide rod, which should be trashed. Overall, it is like one of their low grade 1911s. Nothing to get excited about.

Now, the new FN one might suck balls, and the proprietary issues are something, but it won't suck balls because it failed to address any of the issues of the original Hi Power. It will suck balls for its own reasons.

Also, the thumbs forward grip was literally developed on 1911s, which are an older gun than the Hi Power. Anybody shooting otherwise is just weird these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
The SA-35 doesn't look like a C&S Hi Power. It doesn't look like a Garthwaite Hi Power. It looks like a Hi Power with an ill conceived ring hammer and better sights. It's a pretty gun, but it doesn't have any of the working over that custom Hi Powers have. This is basically a gun you would buy to send to somebody to make into a nice Hi Power.

There are a few awful details about the Hi Power. One is hammer bite, which Springfield didn't do much to correct. One is the awful trigger geometry, which they also didn't correct. One is the shitty recoil guide rod, ditto. One is the mag disconnect, which they did fix. One is the sights, which they didn't do very well with. Finally, the lack of texture, which they also didn't correct. People have fixed all of these on hi powers for years, other than the guide rod, which should be trashed. Overall, it is like one of their low grade 1911s. Nothing to get excited about.

Now, the new FN one might suck balls, and the proprietary issues are something, but it won't suck balls because it failed to address any of the issues of the original Hi Power. It will suck balls for its own reasons.

Also, the thumbs forward grip was literally developed on 1911s, which are an older gun than the Hi Power. Anybody shooting otherwise is just weird these days.

I've shot the SA-35, they did actually fix the hammer bight issue. I didn't say SA was selling a Cylinder and Slide BHP.

I've shot the SA-35, they did actually fix the hammer bight issue. I didn't say SA was selling a Cylinder and Slide BHP.
Well, the nice thing is that they are making both of these guns and we all get to decide what we like. Maybe they will both be great, maybe they will both suck ass.