• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Shit you see on the range

I'm not sure if it was this site or not ...dot about the guy that had a lot of Loctite on the dudes gun... was witness to a similar incident at the range I usually shoot at in West Houston... been about 15 to 20 years

The short of it was some thuggish / turd looking person got there gun loaded with Loctite. Gangster looking guy, bad attitude, shooting sideways Etc... gets "help" from somebody.

Noticing this, I intervened before the thuggish guy left, let him know what happened and proceeded to wipe the gun down, squirt in a bunch of Break Free, let him know when he got home and needed to fully disassemble it wipe everything down and lightly well everything and reassemble.

Dude was reasonably pissed and started to walk over there and give him a piece of his mind. I told him we don't need any of that here I'll take care of this. He walks over, thanks the guy and walks off.

Few minutes later douchebag walks up to me who put the Loctite on the guy's gun asking me why I cleaned it. Let him know the guy was basically just a wannabe and What if he needs it to defend himself, his family. Then I told him that I'm Forum said thuggish looking guy which vehicle he has and how to locate him via license plate number....lol. why would you do that he asked... I think my response was something like maybe he wants to send you a Christmas card or.

Said douchebag, was out of there faster than go through a 7 round 22LR magazine... Lol.

Arrange buddy of mine that was there Hood been hearing and witnessing everything... Sean, you didn't tell that guy anything stop.. I know but the other guy is going to be looking over her shoulder for a long time... LOL... followed by being told You do realize you're a dick right...lol

Reactions: hellishot
I try not to let most crap bother me and am really a helpful individual if guys are willing. But SOB, went to our public range 2 weeks ago, I am getting the godson going on pistol. The 15yrd line the only bay with no one using, as we pull up, someone is going to town on the 25 yd range. We start unloading our gear, i see the dude is shooting a AR15. I counted 8- 30rd mag dumps in 10 min, 2 of them wide open. I am snickering, he has one rifle, he gets 2 more off before he leaves.
I have warmed up an AR before, but not 300 rds worth, and he was shooting before we got there so no clue how many rds he got off in a half hour. Anyway, for the time being, there was a bigger dipshit than myself on the range.

I was at the range once and some jackass shot the legs off my target stand.

Another time I was shooting my John Wick gun. I'm hitting targets and explain ive had gun issues to my buddy, some douche tells me, its not the gun. His head got stuck in the door on the way out!

See all of them, nothing new to see here... LOL. The worst one that I saw when I was a range officer... a guy pull the trigger nothing happened-> pull the hammer back squeezed trigger nothing happen again, looks down the barrel in disbelief pulled the trigger nothing happened, pointed back at the Target pulls the trigger again Bang.

Had some gang Bangerz show up at the range... Actually shot reasonably well. A little discussion with them and find that they didn't want to shoot any innocent people... funny thing, they actually shot better than most of the peace officers that showed up to the range...
At least they are practicing fundamentals! No strays.

Back when I used to work at the same range about 25 years ago oh, we had some real gang Bangerz show up from time to time. At first we were concerned and then realized that they were actually safer than many of the peace officers that showed up.

Talking to them one time I was asking why they even bother coming here. They said flat-out they want to hit what they're aiming at and don't want to injure innocent people.

Pretty sad when you trust the thugs more than the police... LOL. Thugs followed the rules and helped out... Police thought they were something specially privileged

Shotguns guys are near the top of the shit list at my local. Next to ‘ the 270 Win is the greatest
caliber in the world’ fudds. ‘But it’s been fired’ , pointing muzzle at you closed bolt finger in
guard. One day I’m going have one too many coffees and leg sweep one of those dildos.

Years ago I belonged to a club that hosted a number of different competitions. We used to say the silhouette guys hated the HP guys, the HP guys hated the IPSC guys, the IPSC guys hated the shotgunners and the shotgunners hated everyone.

Yeah Ed, sound familiar. The HP guys are the easiest to get on with around here, and
probably the best all round shooters too, as they seem to adapt to other discliplines.
I loaned a PRS rifle to a HP guy the other day, as he was interested in it. Within
2 minutes explaning the dope for each steel target on the range he was ringing everything
in sight.

I am the RSO and range director for our club. After a while you pretty much see it all, or at least think you do. Some days I look at the crowd and don't even want to get out of my truck.
There are a few members that have been subjected to a personal come to Jesus meeting, I try to be civil and patiently explain what they are doing wrong. The guy that left a loaded rifle on the bench twice during a cease fire, after the first time I was not so patient.
There was one who was firing his buffalo gun from the hip, because"I'm only fire forming brass and the recoil hurts". Yea go find another place to shoot.
Muzzle flaggers, the guy who get's excited about his sharps shooting so well that he runs back to his bench and chambers a round while folks are downrange,
I put up a target at 200 and some one else filled it full of holes and when called out just shrugged, Sorry.....
I look at one guy getting set to shoot prone ,with his 308, and see an action screw on the floor, further inspection reveals there were no action screws in the gun. The voice in my head says let him learn a lesson, sigh, but no can do.
The list goes on and on, like I said some days I don't even want to get out of my truck.

This thread makes me glad that I was raised in a way where I had to recite the rules of firearm even when that ‘firearm’ was a paintball gun.

If I even thought to look down a barrel my fear that a foot would tear through the space-time continuum to ‘correct’ the error of my ways would stop me.

Guy at the range attempted to zero at 100 had it on the 30” square target but was all over the target. He finally ask for some help, first thing I noticed was the elevation turret was point g to the left and windage turret was at 12 o’clock. I was amazed he was actually on the paper. Corrected the scope and zero’d for him

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
Guy at the range attempted to zero at 100 had it on the 30” square target but was all over the target. He finally ask for some help, first thing I noticed was the elevation turret was point g to the left and windage turret was at 12 o’clock. I was amazed he was actually on the paper. Corrected the scope and zero’d for him
good on you for helping. had a couple beside me with their first AR and first time out, trying to get on paper at 50 yds. basically just taking potshots. i showed them how to separate the upper and lower, pull the bolt and look thru the barrel at the target, adjust scope accordingly, etc. they got on target and were happy.

A few stories.

My buddy is doing load development for his match rifle and the guy at the next bench took several shots at his target. KInd of messes up your groups for data.

Same buddy and one other buddy at the 7 yard handgun line with me. We are in the middle of a string of fire and I see out of the corner of my eye 3 young guys walking down range to the 25 yard line. I call a cease fire. They were to our right about 30 feet, but there was no berm separating us. I walk down to their table and wait for them to come back. I said Guys, it's not smart or safe to walk down range while others are shooting. The ringleader of the dumbasses says Just walk away sir. I did, but I repeated it's neither smart or safe.

My same shooting buddy was there one day and a he saw guy blow the receiver of his AR up and breaking the scope too. Lucky he didn't get hurt.

I'm there another time and an older guy is shooting hand loads through his 1911. I hear a bang louder than most and he's shaking his hand. It blew the grips off of his 1911, and blew the magazine out of it. I asked if he's ok and he says yes. He says I like to load em hot. Ok....maybe that one was too hot.

I've seen a scope mounted with the windage up too.

Another day a young guy is hitting the dirt about 15 yards before the 100 yard target. His cheap tacticool scope didn't have enough elevation for his 40 moa tacticool scope base.

I'm sure there have been other things. Mostly I see dumb things from those lacking any training. Most are not so much dangerous as they are dumb.

A few stories.

My buddy is doing load development for his match rifle and the guy at the next bench took several shots at his target. KInd of messes up your groups for data.

Same buddy and one other buddy at the 7 yard handgun line with me. We are in the middle of a string of fire and I see out of the corner of my eye 3 young guys walking down range to the 25 yard line. I call a cease fire. They were to our right about 30 feet, but there was no berm separating us. I walk down to their table and wait for them to come back. I said Guys, it's not smart or safe to walk down range while others are shooting. The ringleader of the dumbasses says Just walk away sir. I did, but I repeated it's neither smart or safe.

My same shooting buddy was there one day and a he saw guy blow the receiver of his AR up and breaking the scope too. Lucky he didn't get hurt.

I'm there another time and an older guy is shooting hand loads through his 1911. I hear a bang louder than most and he's shaking his hand. It blew the grips off of his 1911, and blew the magazine out of it. I asked if he's ok and he says yes. He says I like to load em hot. Ok....maybe that one was too hot.

I've seen a scope mounted with the windage up too.

Another day a young guy is hitting the dirt about 15 yards before the 100 yard target. His cheap tacticool scope didn't have enough elevation for his 40 moa tacticool scope base.

I'm sure there have been other things. Mostly I see dumb things from those lacking any training. Most are not so much dangerous as they are dumb.

Wouldn't the 40moa base make the bullets go high?

Actually the most grievous violation I saw at the range was an RSO. Dude had something going on in his head and started reading me the riot act about the muzzle sticking out the end of my case. He then proceeds to open and check my rifle to ensure it's dry. By the way, he was doing this while it was pointing at the junk of another RSO. smh, it took a lot for me not to dress him down right there.

My kid and his interest is the reason we started going to the range a lot, several incidents while we were there is why I got the private membership to go when closed. If someone else is there we go to off to another part of the range. It has been good for my BP as my rage meter kicks up for dumb shit when he is present.

Hey, I appreciate you taking your kid out. More people need to do that, and do it safely. Good job!

My first ever visit to an American range in South Texas, tripping Coast to the coast with my girlfriend. Pulled up at the lot and made our way to the office at exactly the same time as some guy in full tact-cool clothing was leaving the firing line bleeding profusely from the right eyebrow.

I have her an elbow in the ribs and said "this is gonna be interesting". Followed him in and watched all the staff take the piss out of him and his brand new 300wm build.

Great day out, first 308, first ar15, first 1911. Also saw a scorpion in the can. Cool!

I got my RSO certification so I could work the range at our local Scout ranch. No problem. The boys listen WAY better than adults do.
I was invited to be an RSO at a local public range. At first I agreed, then, after thinking about all the dumbassery I've seen at that range, I came to my senses and told them thanks, but hell no.

Reactions: brianf
I believe we will all see a lot more stupidity on ranges with all of the COVID panic gun buying with no real commitment to learning how to use the damn thing.

I also think Dr and nurses are going to see a lot more shots in the foot from this same crowd.

Went to my local IWL last Wed with my buddy's loaned Labradar (and that is a really cool piece of kit). I'm up at the main club house to sign in at the box we have on the outside prior to driving down the hill to the rifle range when I see another car pulling in. I think this is just another member coming to sign in.

As I walk to my car, I hear this fella say "hey, do you think you might be able to help me". He was an older guy and I'm 67 so this isn't ageism.

I asked him what his issue was and he explained that he just bought an AR (yes, as in yesterday), put up two sort of large bullseye targets side by side on the target board, aimed at the left one and hit the one on the right. He said the elevation was ok but why was he shooting a foot to the right.

I asked him if he zero'd his scope and got a blank look. I asked him very specifically if he read the manual on his scope and he insisted that he had.

It was a Vortex with capped turrets in a uni-mount. I unscrew the windage turret cap and he was SHOCKED....just shocked to find out that there was a cap and that his windage adjustment was underneath. He never opened the manual or has zero reading comprehension.

I look and its set at 14 MOA to the right. Between this and him pulling the shot (he was on the 50 yd line) there was his error.

I ask him if he adjusted this and he said no. I do know the guys at the LGS where he bought it and they would NOT have done this (and I know the brothers that own this store and was in there later and asked....they said "no way"). Neither would, I believe, Vortex. So, it was tooth fairies in the middle of the night...sigh.

I put it back to zero, explain to him what this knob was for and he went back down to the range to see where he was. Well, now he was on the right piece of paper. Not a good zero, but he had something to work with. He must have come up to me (while trying to capture some speeds on the chrona) at least 3-4 times to say that it wasn't quite right and 3 or 4 times I told him to just adjust his windage knob (it was a dead calm day). Finally, I went with him to look at his target, I set his windage, told him he could he could fine tune it, but finally he was happy.

Then on two different occasions he proceeds to start walking to his target while the range was hot. It was just him and I, but twice he went strolling down the middle of an open hot range. FFS. And I caught him playing with his gun (it was unloaded but still) when the range was still cold.

And I gave him an empty chamber indicator....he didn't know such a thing existed.

I'm afraid that a LOT of guns were sold to people like this and we will be seeing them on the range. I have no issue with him not being knowledgeable. None of us were born with knowledge and we all had to learn. But I do expect people to recognize that these are firearms, not their fucking hair dryer, and that they do indeed have a great responsibility to learn and do indeed need to put out the commitment and effort to do so. He may have gotten the message....but he might not have.

Cheers

Last edited:
A guy and his wife that I used to work with a few years ago suddenly got into guns, mid 40s.
The first time we went to an indoor range down in Georgia, he was showing me his new 45. I opened the slide and the fucker is loaded! Told him not cool to carry them cased and chambered.
A few weeks later same indoor range sold him an AK with a bump stock and gave him free range time. First mag it got away from him, he shot out the lights in the ceiling, range management gave him a T shirt and ask him to leave.
A couple years later we’re working together in Texas, I decide to chance it and go shooting with them again on a day off at a private pay range.
His wife is at a bench banging away with a 9mm Colt carbine, looking over the top not using sights watching dirt fly with every shot.
Her husband that I now call “Danger Man“ stands behind his wife at a bench, muzzle about 1 foot above and to the right of her head and he lets loose with an AK mag dump. His wife is hollering and screaming still banging 9mm down range looking back and cussing him. He about sets her hair on fire from muzzle flash. I tried giving them pointers, but they just weren’t into slow precision type shooting. Bang Bang Bang as fast as they would run, dirt shot, no problem send more.
It was funny and scary all at the same time.
I’ll skip range day with “Danger Man” from now on. I couldn’t concentrate trying to keep a close eye on him and his weapons.

A guy and his wife that I used to work with a few years ago suddenly got into guns, mid 40s.
The first time we went to an indoor range down in Georgia, he was showing me his new 45. I opened the slide and the fucker is loaded! Told him not cool to carry them cased and chambered.
A few weeks later same indoor range sold him an AK with a bump stock and gave him free range time. First mag it got away from him, he shot out the lights in the ceiling, range management gave him a T shirt and ask him to leave.
A couple years later we’re working together in Texas, I decide to chance it and go shooting with them again on a day off at a private pay range.
His wife is at a bench banging away with a 9mm Colt carbine, looking over the top not using sights watching dirt fly with every shot.
Her husband that I now call “Danger Man“ stands behind his wife at a bench, muzzle about 1 foot above and to the right of her head and he lets loose with an AK mag dump. His wife is hollering and screaming still banging 9mm down range looking back and cussing him. He about sets her hair on fire from muzzle flash. I tried giving them pointers, but they just weren’t into slow precision type shooting. Bang Bang Bang as fast as they would run, dirt shot, no problem send more.
I’ll skip range day with “Danger Man” from now on. I couldn’t concentrate trying to keep a close eye on him and his weapons.
Holy Crap!

i keep encountering these hall monitor types at local outdoor range. theyre always trying to zero things and check their targets after firing 3 rounds slow as crap from resting on bench....they dont offhand, they dont hammerpair...they dont movement or use cover.. they speed reload, definitely dont magflip...no transition drills...
frankly its like theyre not even trying to up their fighting skills at all. they seem peeved when they are showered with my brass.

they dont even bayonet charge at the end of mag dumps...sheesh
I also found out they don't like it when you are trying to be helpful. I always take the broom and sweep all the brass off the floor forward of the firing line into the dirt just like the ROs say to do and will also sweep the stations to the left and right of me. Just trying to do my good deed for the day. Them old codgers get all pissy. Nary even a thank you, usually just a mean mug look.

Damn. Sounds like an outdoor range I used to shoot at. 25m. 50m. 100m, and 300m. There was an older couple that came out and set up at least a dozen targets mounted on 2-3 stands on the 25m line. And listening to them fight over what target was hit vs what target the spotter thought the other was shooting at would be funny if... But getting yelled at for wasting their time when I went to change targets on the 300m line. Fuck 'em. My 300m groups looked far and away better than their 25m groups.

Reactions: lash
Was helping out as crew at a fairly large IPSC match over here a couple of years back, one of the ROs on my stage was wearing a ballistic vest under his shirt. We asked him about it and were told in blunt terms that he didn't much appreciate people pointing live firearms at him (he also explained that rimfire shooters were the worst)
Kind of thought he was exaggerating a bit until a guy in the 2.nd or 3.rd squad turned round coming back through the stage, and swept himself, the timer operator, the second RO, the IROI delegate, all of us stage crew and the rest of his squad.

We were not impressed, and suddenly saw the point of wearing the vest...

So, yesterday was interesting.

buddy got a 7mag put together for elk hunting and he picked me up because at the range he goes to you have to qualify at 600 yards in order to shoot anything over 600 yards.

so, we go to the range. Upon arrival I observe an Asian dude attempting to zero a MK18 Pistol at 600 yards with his 1-6x24.

This isn’t a hard task, but he was getting frustrated and came over and asked for help. He said he used his 4dof to get a solution..he had his chrono, and even a krestel...the dude was equipped to handle the task!

however, he had no damn idea where the bullets were going...he had shot over 20 rounds of the Berger 73 grain and hadn’t seen shit.

I asked himwhat his initial zero was...there wasn’t one!!!!! He simply got his new optic, mounted it in a new larue, and stuck it on the gun and dialed an in zeroed optic with 600 yards worth of fuckery dialed in!!

I normally don’t help people, but this guy seemed like his knowledge gap could become a safety issue so I helped him out...even after we got a 100 yard zero for him, he couldn’t understand why he needed a baseline zero to dial up from.

Oh, and my buddy didn’t qualify for shit!! He brought one box of bullets with only 4 live rounds left in it...lol

bench

I don't remember what range it was... one of them we went to a lot of years ago, but maybe Fort Stewart?

We were shooting one of our M2 fifty caliber mg mounted on a tripod. We were issued plastic training ammo on belts, and if memory serves every 5th round was tracer. This was August 1990 and the grass was dry, I guess.

Our target was a plywood set up at 2t meters, but the rounds were zipping right through and the inevitable happened: we set the grass on fire about a half mile away. Hmmm, OK. So the duds in charge tell us to remove the tracers from the belts. No problem. Meanwhile, the duds tells us to get in the truck and go see if we can put the fire out. About 100 yards downrange, the ground sucks and if we go any farther we will get the vehicles stuck, so we stop. Dont bother to walk over there, this is the National Guard. Dont bother to inform the fire dept, either.

Fire department shows up and proceeds to get mired to the hubs.

The fire burned itself out, I guess.

Not at the range, but a few days ago I learned from a former member of Special Forces (was assigned to 33 Bravo after AIT, but really wanted to go into cybersecurity) that a .50 BMG round fired from a Barrett-Jackson will break a man's neck if it passes within eight inches of his head. Who knew?

• Haha
Reactions: D1gger
Not at the range, but a few days ago I learned from a former member of Special Forces (was assigned to 33 Bravo after AIT, but really wanted to go into cybersecurity) that a .50 BMG round fired from a Barrett-Jackson will break a man's neck if it passes within eight inches of his head. Who knew?

Ive heard that one before too.

I had heard the neck breaking myth before. The Barrett-Jackson caught me off guard.

So some years back I was helping teach a long gun class and one of the first things attendants were told was show up with a zeroed rifle capable of 1 MOA at 100 yards. Cue "that guy", I'll call him Herb. At the end of the safety briefing Herb comes over to me and says that he needs to confirm his zero real quick and I reminded him that he was supposed to show up with an already zeroed rifle. We had a IPSC target up at about 150 yards that would work so he got prone and I got on glass to spot for him. What commenced was Herb burning through just shy of $100 in .338 LM ammo trying to hit a full size IPSC at about 150 yards. First he was way low, then way high, then he wanted to adjust his Barrett rings so he'd have max elevation. I told him he had three more rounds to get it figured out because we had to catch up with the class.

The rest of the day Herb continued to be that guy, including arguing with me when I told him that he did in fact not hit the 300 yard steel, he was under it, as observed through my Mk4 spotter. I asked my friend Tom to shoot the target with his .300 WM and sparks flew off it, it swung around violently, and I said to Herb "that's what it looks like when you hit it". The piece de resistance came later in the evening when we were letting the students engage the steel in low light using their reticles and illumination. For whatever, someone put a light up on the 1,000 yard target, so here's this steel IPSC glowing white against the back berm. Like moth to a flame Herb looked at me and said:
"I'm going for it"
"Going for what?" I said
"The 1,000 yard steel"
"Yeah, I'm not going to be able to spot for you, so if you drop it off one edge or the other I can't help you" I replied
I didn't bother looking through the spotter and instead watched Herb shoot $15 into the darkness. Stupid fuck probably forgot to dial his elevation, I dunno. Anyway, he rolls on his side and I can tell he's waiting for me to give him some kind of feedback.
"What? I told you I wouldn't be able to see anything, it's dark. If you'd hit, we'd have heard it."

Herb was a prime example of someone with more money than brains.

This dipshit. The fuddery starts at 4:08.

WTF is wrong with people. I sat across from a guy at lunch one day and he went on about his big mule deer kill. He was using a 338 Lapua with match ammo and he shot this deer at 250 yds. He couldn’t understand why it took three shots to kill it. The damn bullet was pencil holing straight thru this poor animal. The third shot was a 9mm to the temple. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Angry
Reactions: Jscb1b
WTF is wrong with people. I sat across from a guy at lunch one day and he went on about his big mule deer kill. He was using a 338 Lapua with match ammo and he shot this deer at 250 yds. He couldn’t understand why it took three shots to kill it. The damn bullet was pencil holing straight thru this poor animal. The third shot was a 9mm to the temple. 🤦🏻‍♂️

There's a vid of him scope eyeing himself with a Steyr HS 50 on a hunt in Africa...it was awesome.

So some years back I was helping teach a long gun class and one of the first things attendants were told was show up with a zeroed rifle capable of 1 MOA at 100 yards. Cue "that guy", I'll call him Herb. At the end of the safety briefing Herb comes over to me and says that he needs to confirm his zero real quick and I reminded him that he was supposed to show up with an already zeroed rifle. We had a IPSC target up at about 150 yards that would work so he got prone and I got on glass to spot for him. What commenced was Herb burning through just shy of $100 in .338 LM ammo trying to hit a full size IPSC at about 150 yards. First he was way low, then way high, then he wanted to adjust his Barrett rings so he'd have max elevation. I told him he had three more rounds to get it figured out because we had to catch up with the class.

The rest of the day Herb continued to be that guy, including arguing with me when I told him that he did in fact not hit the 300 yard steel, he was under it, as observed through my Mk4 spotter. I asked my friend Tom to shoot the target with his .300 WM and sparks flew off it, it swung around violently, and I said to Herb "that's what it looks like when you hit it". The piece de resistance came later in the evening when we were letting the students engage the steel in low light using their reticles and illumination. For whatever, someone put a light up on the 1,000 yard target, so here's this steel IPSC glowing white against the back berm. Like moth to a flame Herb looked at me and said:
"I'm going for it"
"Going for what?" I said
"The 1,000 yard steel"
"Yeah, I'm not going to be able to spot for you, so if you drop it off one edge or the other I can't help you" I replied
I didn't bother looking through the spotter and instead watched Herb shoot $15 into the darkness. Stupid fuck probably forgot to dial his elevation, I dunno. Anyway, he rolls on his side and I can tell he's waiting for me to give him some kind of feedback.
"What? I told you I wouldn't be able to see anything, it's dark. If you'd hit, we'd have heard it."

Herb was a prime example of someone with more money than brains.
We had a guy like this show up to a number of our long range practices. After I spent way too much time helping this guy not have worthless days at the range, in less than a year of poor shooting, he posts himself up at the club as a long range rifle instructor...

I don’t even claim that.

I wish I had enough property to shoot on. There's a private range 8 miles from my house and for $80 a year its a good deal.. usually.

Usually there's no one there but this time of year through November the hunters are hitting the range in force... this is the scariest time of year to go shooting...

Last weekend the range is cold me and 2 guys are down checking targets. We turn around some fat mouth breather is sitting behind his magnum rifle in a lead sled pointed down range. He's finger fucking everything on his bench, he's looking through the scopes he's adjusting the scope hes opening ammo boxes. By the time we get back we hadn't so much called the range hot and hes shooting. We still don't know if he had loaded the gun while we had our backs turned.

Shoot a bit and call a cease fire. I open bolt drop mag and step back and there he goes again looking through his scope and adjusting it as guys walk down range.

I wish I had enough property to shoot on. There's a private range 8 miles from my house and for $80 a year its a good deal.. usually.

Usually there's no one there but this time of year through November the hunters are hitting the range in force... this is the scariest time of year to go shooting...

Last weekend the range is cold me and 2 guys are down checking targets. We turn around some fat mouth breather is sitting behind his magnum rifle in a lead sled pointed down range. He's finger fucking everything on his bench, he's looking through the scopes he's adjusting the scope hes opening ammo boxes. By the time we get back we hadn't so much called the range hot and hes shooting. We still don't know if he had loaded the gun while we had our backs turned.

Shoot a bit and call a cease fire. I open bolt drop mag and step back and there he goes again looking through his scope and adjusting it as guys walk down range.
I would have had some words with that guy the first time. Private range or not. That’s unacceptable no matter what his excuse is/was.