• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s The Shit you see on the range

Yeah, that will get you invited to not come back at the range I'm a member of. The RO's at my range may go a little long between calling cold sometimes but they do run a safe range. When they call cold the rule is that people need to stand back from their rifles, don't touch optics, make stock adjustments, nothing.

A range I used to be a member of was a free for all. Fudd city from September to November and if you didnt get there at 8 am to avoid the old fridge boxes and propane tanks, there was a line. This is where i started to despise the shoot a couple rounds go down range and measure it crowd. For some of those guys shooting off the roll of paper towels propped up on their tackle box it took an hour to get zeroed and by that time they had half a box of ammo left for the season. They're the same ones that zero 1.5" high at 100 to be zeroed at 200 regardless of caliber, bullet weight, or velocity. Whip out a chronograph though and you're fuckin' Buck Rogers.

Last edited:
We had a guy like this show up to a number of our long range practices. After I spent way too much time helping this guy not have worthless days at the range, in less than a year of poor shooting, he posts himself up at the club as a long range rifle instructor...

I don’t even claim that.
You give people an inch, they take a mile.

I was at the pistol range and someone comes up to me saying he keeps stove piping his brand new pistol. I ask him to shoot the pistol and right away I noticed he was limp wristing.

I showed him how I would grip the firearm and he went on his way. A few minutes later he comes back and telling me he has the same issue, keep in mind that there were range officers that could have easily help him but they were all the way at the other lanes. I decided to show him once again and used a box of my own ammo and showed him how I had no issues. At this point I am trying to be patient but my range time was running out and told him that his gun has no issue, it’s the shooter in this case and how he should invest some time with an instructor.

He comes back a third time but I pointed how the range officer could better assist him. You help people diagnose a problem and they latch onto you for constant help. I am all for helping new shooters but if you don’t recognize you are the part of the problem then I can’t help you any further.

Was at the range last week. Two good ole boys come into the lane next to me. The older one (50ish) is talking loud and talking shit. He’s bragging to some young guys on the other side. “Oh yeah I got 40 or 50 guns. I got one that’ll shoot 2 1/2 miles”. So I look over, neither one has hearing protection or safety glasses. Shooting some thin barreled hunting rifle. He lights off the first round. Big boom. I hear him say “Well shit”. Then his buddy says “ Dude are you okay”. I look over, blood is running down his face. Scope rash. I’m thinking he should probably sell that 2 1/2 mile gun.

Was at the range last week. Two good ole boys come into the lane next to me. The older one (50ish) is talking loud and talking shit. He’s bragging to some young guys on the other side. “Oh yeah I got 40 or 50 guns. I got one that’ll shoot 2 1/2 miles”. So I look over, neither one has hearing protection or safety glasses. Shooting some thin barreled hunting rifle. He lights off the first round. Big boom. I hear him say “Well shit”. Then his buddy says “ Dude are you okay”. I look over, blood is running down his face. Scope rash. I’m thinking he should probably sell that 2 1/2 mile gun.

Should have seen if you could score a deal on it 🤣

Should have seen if you could score a deal on it 🤣

Probably would be a pimped 10/22!

So, it wasn't at the range but I went and bought a Ruger Standard (basically a "MKI") and that guy was waiving it around like that scene in the movie Weird Science. I was talking to him about a local range and he said that the RSOs have reasons to be dicks. I'm thinking to myself "my god with the way you're muzzling me with that no wonder."

Surprised he had all his digits tbh.

Was helping out as crew at a fairly large IPSC match over here a couple of years back, one of the ROs on my stage was wearing a ballistic vest under his shirt. We asked him about it and were told in blunt terms that he didn't much appreciate people pointing live firearms at him (he also explained that rimfire shooters were the worst)
Kind of thought he was exaggerating a bit until a guy in the 2.nd or 3.rd squad turned round coming back through the stage, and swept himself, the timer operator, the second RO, the IROI delegate, all of us stage crew and the rest of his squad.

We were not impressed, and suddenly saw the point of wearing the vest...
LOL I call bullshit on that

I'll tell you later why

Reactions: LeftyJason
Same buddy and one other buddy at the 7 yard handgun line with me. We are in the middle of a string of fire and I see out of the corner of my eye 3 young guys walking down range to the 25 yard line. I call a cease fire. They were to our right about 30 feet, but there was no berm separating us. I walk down to their table and wait for them to come back. I said Guys, it's not smart or safe to walk down range while others are shooting. The ringleader of the dumbasses says Just walk away sir.

Nah, that shit won't go unanswered........

LOL I call bullshit on that

I'll tell you later why

Which part? I've seen guys turn the wrong direction during a stage...more than once. I once blocked a guy's arm (had a feeling) and yelled stop. He threw his gun on the ground. One particular range in the area I USED to participate in their matches. Had more guns pointed at me on that range than all the other ranges, combined, I've been on...and that's a lot. MD was very hesitant to DQ and several of the ROs were lackadaisical.

Which part? I've seen guys turn the wrong direction during a stage...more than once. I once blocked a guy's arm (had a feeling) and yelled stop. He threw his gun on the ground. One particular range in the area I USED to participate in their matches. Had more guns pointed at me on that range than all the other ranges, combined, I've been on...and that's a lot. MD was very hesitant to DQ and several of the ROs were lackadaisical.

Holy shitshow batman. That kind of shit is not tolerated here. Don't even know how they can call themselves a USPSA club.

Nah, that shit won't go unanswered........
Yeah, if someone told me to "walk away" after I checked them on a blatant safety violation, I wouldn't go to blows over it, but I'd definitely make sure there was negative reinforcement (like inform the rangemaster and get them kicked out for the day without a refund at a minimum). When people lose money, they remember that shit.

I hate to say this, but my god that seems like some stupid people that will sort themselves out in life provided they are given enough time.
"Self correcting error"

Like when you use your foot to push branches into a tree chipper....

Screenshot_20200825-212325_Chrome.jpg

Holy shitshow batman. That kind of shit is not tolerated here. Don't even know how they can call themselves a USPSA club.

I know of two self-inflicted gunshot wounds on this same range...one under RO supervision. Occasionally, one of there members will drift over to shoot my match. I warn my guys to stay close and keep their eyes peeled even when they're off the line.

Strangest thing I saw...I set up a stage that had the shooter turn a corner that tripped a pop-up target. The shooter Bill Drilled while advancing. For some reason, a few guys always like to get as close as possible. One particular individual ran toward the target and began to engage from about six feet. It was obvious his momentum would carry him beyond the target. He moved left, but then turned up range. I'm yelling STOP! STOP! STOP! When he realized what he did, he bowed at the waist and placed the gun on his back.

I'm sure someone has a stranger story. I look forward to reading it.

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
I've seen videos of a 50bmg shot between glass.
Would have doubted the shockwave/vacuum bit anyway.

However, wtf ? Any explanation for what killed the deer?
Couple of the youtube comments suggest the bullet went in one eye and out the other. Personally I thought it was a neck shot. I suppose the deer could've had a heart attack when a .50-cal bullet went zooming past a couple inches from its head...

Reactions: Krawlven
Standing next to a guy when he said look at this. His selector on his yugo had popped over the top of its stop. He promptly pulled it up higher just before he shot a hole through the roof. Exciting!

• Wow
Reactions: G-Dog
A couple of weeks ago I listened to a shooter a couple benches down explain to another one that the military version of the M14 was the M1A and it was select fire. The same day, the shooter next to me at 50 yard benches was raining .30-06 from his M1 Garand like he was at fucking Normandy creating paper plate sized groups.

Reactions: lash
They had one at the range last year a guy shooting with a instructor shot a box of shells then ask if he could shot another box so the instructor left to get the ammo and then the guy put one into his head.

Whats funny most ranges in our area you have to sit through a 15 minute video on range safety before your allowed to shoot which is a pain in the ass more so for the dude who is there to off himself.

... the shooter next to me at 50 yard benches was raining .30-06 from his M1 Garand like he was at fucking Normandy creating paper plate sized groups.

Yeah, I saw something like this too, only grandpa had a huge boner, was laughing like a maniac, and screaming, "This is what FREEDOM looks like! COME AND GET IT, BITCHES!"

True story. Really. To be honest, he found it brutally satisfying to shoot the crap outta something just as fast as he could pull the trigger. Hell yeah, old man! Get some! Then I let him shoot a full mag from an AK... He was ringing steel out to 400 yards with it, first time he ever shot one. Obviously not his first rodeo... Good times.

But it gets better.

He dug down into his crotch, re-arranged himself, (actually SMELLED his finger) fixed his rheumy old Fudd eyes on me and says, "Not bad for a Commie POS... "

Then he dug his wallet out, and flopped out six brand new, crisp hundred dollar bills and I sold him the gun and an ammo can of what was left of a thousand rounds of 7.62x39. Old ex-Bulgarian milled underfolder re-weld kit build with cheap plastic furniture.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I listened to a shooter a couple benches down explain to another one that the military version of the M14 was the M1A and it was select fire. The same day, the shooter next to me at 50 yard benches was raining .30-06 from his M1 Garand like he was at fucking Normandy creating paper plate sized groups.

Surprised it wasn't an SKS.

Yeah, I saw something like this too, only grandpa had a huge boner, was laughing like a maniac, and screaming, "This is what FREEDOM looks like! COME AND GET IT, BITCHES!"

True story. Really. To be honest, he found it brutally satisfying to shoot the crap outta something just as fast as he could pull the trigger. Hell yeah, old man! Get some! Then I let him shoot a full mag from an AK... He was ringing steel out to 400 yards with it, first time he ever shot one. Obviously not his first rodeo... Good times.

But it gets better.

He dug down into his crotch, re-arranged himself, (actually SMELLED his finger) fixed his rheumy old Fudd eyes on me and says, "Not bad for a Commie POS... "

Then he dug his wallet out, and flopped out six brand new, crisp hundred dollar bills and I sold him the gun and an ammo can of what was left of a thousand rounds of 7.62x39. Old ex-Bulgarian milled underfolder re-weld kit build with cheap plastic furniture.

As much as this is a crazy fucker at the range thread that's actually kind of epic.

I made it all up. Lies. All lies. Never happened! Old veteran types ROCK!
That crazy sumbitch actually DIED in Korea and when he woke up & thawed out, (he said he was frozen solid like a beef carcass) he limped off and somehow made his way back down the hill and almost got shot by other G.I.s. Only by cussing up a blue streak was he able to convince them and approach.

Said his pecker stayed frozen to his leg for the next ten days, when he was finally able to get a hot shower.

I don't believe a word he says. He's really dead, now, anyway. Freakin old age got him.

Last edited: