• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing The Single Best C/L/P I've Personally Used

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I was turned on to this stuff by a member of Indiana Gun Owners Forums. He made a gift of some (thanks HFB!) when we went shooting.

http://www.fluid-film.com/products/

I've been running it in all manner of firearms now, and it beats CLP or pretty much anything else all to heck, with just a very thin coating.

Heck, I've pretty much stopped cleaning the gas system on the SKS because, after treatment, I could find no buildup and everything stayed lubed. I just put a squirt or two in the vent holes and no longer have to worry about cleaning the gun 'til it breaks.

The 1911, .22, and a few others with slower moving bullets just get it sprayed down the barrel and run out with a bore snake.

The only downside I've found is that, after cleaning the .22 with it, it penetrates so well that it takes about 50 rounds to shoot back in vs the usual 20 or so. That's sort of a non-issue though as I keep junk ammo around for that purpose and making noise with it is fun. That, and I don't clean the barrel until accuracy falls off.

I highly recommend taking a look at this stuff. It's easy to find in farm country, and most John Deere dealerships carry it from what I've read, though with guns, one aerosol can looks to last a while.

My Breakfree CLP is standing by, unused. Fluid Film is lanolin based and is less toxic than most other CLP products, as well.

I just applied it to a gun, and no matter how many times I wash my hands, or with what, I can't get it to come off. My fingers will be slick until the lanolin absorbs.

Awesome stuff. I suggest you check it out. Only runs $7 to $10 per 11.75 fl oz spray can - very competitive at that price.

Josh

Re: The Single Best C/L/P I've Personally Used

Mobil-1 $0.23 per oz

works on every gun I own where I don't use grease.

The Fluid Film is some excellent stuff, used in the right places, I've used it for over 15 years.

I use it any place a non-petroleum lube is needed (O-rings and seals), it is also the best thing ever to protect any electrical part against corrosion; battery terminals, lugs, etc.

But, it will dry out after a while, and get pretty thick and sticky. It gets almost like cosmoline after a while. I wouldn't store my gun with it in it, if it was a "go-to" gun.

I'll stick with Break-Free.

Fluid Film is good stuff, I use it on my tractor, snow blower, mower decks, and snow plow. I'm not sure I would use it on the moving parts of a gun but it might be worth a try.

It can be found at most John Deere dealerships.